Full clip and living out over winter

sjdress

Visit site
Does anyone full clip and keep their horses living out over winter? My older horse is becoming increasingly more fluffy over the years and as still in work is getting really sweaty. Therefore I am thinking of clipping out , however she lives out all year round (with access to a field shelter) so I am worried about her getting cold. She does have a massive selection of rugs so can layer up, but don’t want to drown her in rugs either as that would not be fair on her. She’s not a particularly cold horse, but doesn’t enjoy the rain! However is a very good doer and very settled and happy living out.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine are full clipped most winters I keep legs on and half a head on and they stay out as much as possible overnight without a shelter, they have lots of decent rugs with detachable necks which I don't use that often due to them being Arabs it rubs the mane out.

They cope fine and never seem cold they get hay out in the field as my grazing is not great, they do have an area of hard standing so they can get off the mud and honestly seem happier out than in.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Mine all live out fully clipped through winter. I don't rug heavily and don't use neck rugs.

They do have access to shelter and do have access to plenty of forage. They don't get cold :)

albeg

Visit site
Yep, mine is fully clipped, legs and half face left. I use half neck rugs unless it's really miserable, in standard necks the rain channels down his chest. The paddock has good shelter and ad lib haylage.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d happily do it but would be reluctant to take legs and head off unless I had really good shelter and well draining land

PapaverFollis

Visit site
No problem with full clips generally, I just think it's worth being conservative if the horse is living out. I've been over optimistic about the amount of work horse will be doing before and it's really disheartening changing rugs and and fussing about keeping them warm when you know you aren't managing the workload to justify the clip! In reality I've never needed more than a blanket clip. But I'm a dressage-ish happy hacker rather than a gallopy jumper..

jnb

Visit site
My cob had his first winter in work last year, he lives out 24.7.
I initially gave him an Irish clip with half head but he was just getting so hot when worked so in December I gave him a Hunter clip, half head (I also keep his lower legs clipped with Covercotes all year round as he's a show cob) and he was so much happier. He wore a 100g or 40g rug most of the winter and his 220g for a few weeks in the depths of the winter, his HW stayed in its bag as he just didn't need it.
I have just bought a spare 100g as it's clear that;s the one he will wear most. I do have a stable as well as huge shelter that I can dry him off in if needed. I think as long as they have access to a shelter and waterproof, well fitting rugs they will be fine.

Attachments

• 20A1973A-809E-4D2E-912A-6729326D1592.jpeg
    20A1973A-809E-4D2E-912A-6729326D1592.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 14

Auslander

Visit site
I full clip, as I find it easier to manage rugging when they don't have a big fluffy patch over their bums, and nothing on their neck/shoulders/belly. Alf has lived out 24/7 for the last 8 years, and it hasn't been a problem to keep him warm and comfortable when clipped out

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Yep, most of mine live out at night and ridden ones are hunter clipped with legs and half a face left on. My shetland had a full clip yesterday too as otherwise she sweats in her stable from around mid Oct.

wiglet

Visit site
I think with all the advances in rug technology - warm, waterproof, breathable etc, with a selection of decent rugs it's perfectly acceptable to fully clip your horse and let them winter out.
However, I'm old school and prefer to clip then stable overnight during winter when the weather is awful.
If she's going to live out I'd just start with a trace clip and see how she goes? Might be enough just to stop her sweating up and you can progress to more fluff off as necessary.

monte1

Visit site
I fully clip -legs and half head left on- and my irish boy pretty much stays out all winter only comes in if really bad ,i.e. cold and wet constantly
he manages just fine- i find layering rugs with an extra liner at night if very cold works well
i tend to use neck covers as he is grey and i like him clean, but he would be fine without i am sure :)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Can I ask what weight of rugs people use when fully clipped and out at night? My boys are being done tomorrow, head and legs left on and in a field with plenty of high density hedging to stand behind. Currently got a 200 gm liner for one and 100 for the hotter one but I do have a heavyweight Amigo for the Connie if needed. I’ve only ever had clipped, stabled in jute rugs and out in New Zealand’s before so this different weight malarkey is all new to me.

Pedantic

Visit site
Sounds like you have it sorted, I prefer underugging rather than cooking the horse, unless the horse is particularly dim, it will use the shelter when it feels the need.

albeg

Visit site
Can I ask what weight of rugs people use when fully clipped and out at night? My boys are being done tomorrow, head and legs left on and in a field with plenty of high density hedging to stand behind. Currently got a 200 gm liner for one and 100 for the hotter one but I do have a heavyweight Amigo for the Connie if needed. I’ve only ever had clipped, stabled in jute rugs and out in New Zealand’s before so this different weight malarkey is all new to me.

Last winter, no heavier than a 250g, I do have a few liners and a heavyweight if the weather is really grim.

Edited to add: currently in a rain sheet or fly rug depending on the forecast. I'll change to a 100g once the daytime temperature drops.

Last edited:

GinaGeo

Visit site
My fully clipped horses are currently in 100g Rambos.

When it gets colder and they are clipped again I may put a 100g liner on them. So 200g in total. Last winter was mild and they never needed more than that. One that needed to lose weight never went beyond the 100g although his clip had grown out a little by then!

If it gets really very cold, I may swap that out for a 300g liner. Two of them almost certainly won't need that. Two feel the cold a little more and may do.

windand rain

Visit site
mine have always lived out 24/7 clipped or not Hazel feels the cold and as she is old I rug her up well she used to be hunter clipped then went to chaser and now isnt clipped at all she grows and easily sheds a coat like a polar bear but still likes to be dry. She struggles more in summer in cold wet windy weather as her summer coat is nonexistant

jnb

Visit site
My (hunter clipped, with half head left on) cob was in a 100g combo most of the winter, sunny/warm days a 40g, cooler or very wet, 220g. But I'd say for at least 2/3 of the winter he was in the 100g. He's a warm cob...ad lib hay and some grass, big shavings bed in the shelter as he's barefoot and I like his feet to have chance to dry out.