Full Grass Livery near Cambridge (uni student)

lazycat

Visit site
I live bang in the middle of Cambridge city centre. I go to University here and since the Colleges have no parking (and technically 'don't allow' students to have cars), a bike is my only form of transport. Pretty measly, I know.

Can anyone local please recommend a livery yard that offers 24/7 turnout in herds and is about a 20 min/ half hour cycle away from the city centre? Full grass livery would be the ideal scenario as during term time I'd need to know someone was checking/ giving a once over everyday. Seeing as I'm finding so few yards online, I was wondering if anyone has a place on a nice private yard or an unlisted one?

So far I'm considering:
  • Haggis Farm
  • Hall Farm
  • South Cambridge Equestrian (it's probably full, can only reach by train and I doubt they offer 24/7 turnout so I'm not sure about this last option)
I'd love to know whether anyone has other recommendations or any thoughts on the three I've narrowed it down to. Cheers :)

lazycat

Visit site
I don't have facebook and have been living such a peaceful life without it that I dunno if I want to get it back. But it seems it's the best way to source local information unfortunately...

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Nor really sorry :( I left my oldie behind when I moved up here a couple of years ago and haven't yet acquired another (prioritising a new kitchen currently!). Hall farm is very near work though and seems to be good from what I've seen. There seems to be a couple of yards not far off the guided bus up towards longstanton which might make it doable though a bit further out, I think one is called home farm. I also know there is one out histon way that has youngstock so might do 24/7 turnout but I think you'd be at the full half hour from the city centre then.

If you'd like I'm happy to facebook ask for you and feed back.

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
I'll get my thinking cap on for you lazycat, but off the top of my head I can't think of any yard that offers full grass livery close to Cambridge.

I've lived in and around Cambridge my whole life (and work for the Uni btw) and had horses a long long time so do know the local horsey scene reasonably well.

Haggis Farm, obvs very close to Cambridge, run well but Polo a big priority, other disciplines fall by the wayside a bit.
Hall Farm, never hear anything bad about Tessa and she is recommended everywhere!
I think South Cambs Eq is usually full with a waiting list....and like you say I don't think they offer grass 24/7

Editing to add, just a thought, have you asked at the vet school? They do have a number of full time residents and wouldn't do herd turnout but it might be worth an ask if you were favourable towards your horse to being used for teaching

Last edited:

lazycat

Visit site
Nor really sorry :( I left my oldie behind when I moved up here a couple of years ago and haven't yet acquired another (prioritising a new kitchen currently!). Hall farm is very near work though and seems to be good from what I've seen. There seems to be a couple of yards not far off the guided bus up towards longstanton which might make it doable though a bit further out, I think one is called home farm. I also know there is one out histon way that has youngstock so might do 24/7 turnout but I think you'd be at the full half hour from the city centre then.

If you'd like I'm happy to facebook ask for you and feed back.

Thank you ester! It would actually be wonderful if I could PM you something to put on the group. I'll say in the post that I don't have facebook and leave my phone number. Then people can text or call me! The good old fashioned way ;)

I may well have to consider those far out places, but I have to be realistic about cycling down A roads in the depths of winter haha. Good luck with the kitchen, I'm not yet domesticated and I can imagine it's tough to be so pragmatic.

ester

Visit site
hence my guided bus suggestion it's much nicer. I've had to cycle down the A10 a few times it's not pleasant but at least the path up to waterbeach has improved since they scraped the vegetation back to find the edge.

lazycat

Visit site
I'll get my thinking cap on for you lazycat, but off the top of my head I can't think of any yard that offers full grass livery close to Cambridge.

I've lived in and around Cambridge my whole life (and work for the Uni btw) and had horses a long long time so do know the local horsey scene reasonably well.

Haggis Farm, obvs very close to Cambridge, run well but Polo a big priority, other disciplines fall by the wayside a bit.
Hall Farm, never hear anything bad about Tessa and she is recommended everywhere!
I think South Cambs Eq is usually full with a waiting list....and like you say I don't think they offer grass 24/7

Editing to add, just a thought, have you asked at the vet school? They do have a number of full time residents and wouldn't do herd turnout but it might be worth an ask if you were favourable towards your horse to being used for teaching

Oh how nice to hear that there are some horsey folk in the university clan. I have a friend here who plays polo religiously but I can hardly relate as I'm much more of a leisure rider. Can't imagine having a whole string of sporty ponies; it's unfortunate that it seems to be the only real equestrian branch of the university. That's heartening to hear that both Haggis and Hall Farm have good reps.

I balk a little bit at the thought of a pony being kept alone. Big fan of the steam they blow off and the mental stimulation they get in a herd. I might as well ask if they recommend anything, though. Good shout, thanks!

lazycat

Visit site
hence my guided bus suggestion it's much nicer. I've had to cycle down the A10 a few times it's not pleasant but at least the path up to waterbeach has improved since they scraped the vegetation back to find the edge.

I don't mind getting the train to waterbeach which is weirdly cheaper than the bus. Aren't the prices outrageous?! Paid £9 for a 'day rider' ticket to look at a share horse in Milton.

ester

Visit site
I am closest to the longstanton, usually if I am going into town I drive to the P+R at milton as it's about half the price and takes less time! I used the guided to go to addenbrookes once, didn't bother again. It's useful for cycling up and down though!

lazycat

Visit site
I am closest to the longstanton, usually if I am going into town I drive to the P+R at milton as it's about half the price and takes less time! I used the guided to go to addenbrookes once, didn't bother again. It's useful for cycling up and down though!

Sorry, I am rather dim when it comes to cycling logistics outside of the city because I tend to stick to the city limit. I could make good use of that bus route then, thanks for the heads up.

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
Lol ester, I think you've moved to my village now? Not MY village but you know what I mean ;)

I've used the guided busway bus twice in the 7 years living there, it's such a faff, but is great for other modes of transport, used to hack along it too before the horses were at home

ester

Visit site
There does seem to be a fair number of bridleways that connect with it? I keep meaning to take the other bike out and have more of an explore.

FellOutOfFavour

Visit site
You could try Frolic farm in Lode, though that may be another polo only yard. There are also livery yards in Fulbourn and the land settlement at Great Abington.

honetpot

Visit site
If you get in the guided bus to St ives with your bike there are yards at Longstanton, Swavesey, Fen Drayton and fensanton. It’s harder to get out 24/7 cos most are on clay. Try FB horsepower. There is also a small yard at Histon, beside the Guided bus