Full livery £100 a month

FairyLights

Visit site
I have a relative who works away and is here only intermittently. I keep their horse with mine as they are company for each other. I charge £100 a month full livery farrier costs included but not vet costs. Is this ok do you think? they only get to ride their horse once every 6 weeks or so.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have no idea where you're based but where I am shoes alone are £85 so I would possibly consider upping your costs unless you're 100% certain the £100 you're asking will cover livery and shoes.

showjumpergirl

Visit site
My first thought was that farrier costs should be on top of the £100 a month otherwise they alone would eat up a large chunk of the livery costs every other month or so, surely. Admittedly, I've only ever kept my horses at home so I'm not too hot on livery prices, but you're effectively charging £3.33 per day which seems reasonable depending on what that includes. Roughly how much does it cost you to keep the horse for your relative?

ezililaur

Visit site
When can I move in?!

Again, not sure where you are based but that's VERY cheap! I would say maybe £100 minimum. PLUS shoes.

I can see that the arrangement suits you, in that you have company for your horse but I think your relative has a very good deal there!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
It might not be a yard - I am imagining that it's probably grass livery for that - it wouldn't cover farrier, bedding, feed and hay.

OP, you charge what you're comfortable with. £100/month for grass livery is reasonable, but farrier should be in addition to that, not included IMO.

Fides

Visit site
Where I am grass livery is £200 a month and stabled livery £400 a month. Shoes and vets bills on top of this.

windand rain

Visit site
I charge my rider £100 per month 60 quid of that is rent for the field per horse the rest is for feed and hay poo picking daily use of all my tack constant care if the rider cannot get for any reason so generally full grass livery for 40 per month all year round she pays for farrier as the pony is shod. Uses my tack as this special deal is for a pony I sold to her she rides my youngster two or three times a week and competes her too so I think it is a fair deal

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
There are two ways of looking at this.

1) you are charging only around a quarter of what you should be for full livery.
or
2) the arrangement suits you. You would need to buy/borrow and keep a companion for your horse if it wasn't for your relative's horse and therefore it may well suit you to keep this arrangement as it is. If you took on a normal livery and charged accordingly, you would be better off financially but would have another person coming onto your property on a daily basis.

FairyLights

Visit site
Very interesting replies. Wagtail has it in one. When I posed the same question about a month ago as Should I charge an occasional sharer £100 a month I was shot down as being way too expensive. Solution? Sell the horse to my son for £200, still charge £100 a month for its livery insist that he never sells horse except back to me for the same price. Status quo maintained. Everybody happy.

Greylegs

Visit site
I pay that per week, so £100 per month is ridiculously cheap. You don't say what that includes OP! But to me full livery includes feed, hay, bedding and all the work which goes with keeping a horse. My farrier charges £75 for a full set of shoes, fitted. Regardless of how often your relative rides, the horse still needs care (which you are clearly providing) but they're getting a deal which, to me, borders on rip off!! You don't say where you are, but wherever in the country you are, your relative would have to pay at least twice or three times what they're giving you, and probably a good deal more for full livery at a livery yard.

Having said that, if you're happy, and the horse is getting the care it needs, then that's all that matters.

windand rain

Visit site
Forgot to add we provide transport free if the youngster goes too a small contribution for diesel if the person insists but only take it if it is more than half an hour or so away usually

WindyStacks

Visit site
You're being taken for a ride.

Let's be generous and say shoes are 50/month. That leaves 50/6.50 (minimum wage). So either you look after this horse for 8hrs a month - ie 13 mins/day (not including diesel/hay/etc) or you're paying yourself under minimum wage and are effectively subsidising someone else's horse.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Do you get to ride the horse the rest if time/do as you please keeping the horse? If so then yes it is a fair deal as you are effectively getting a horse on loan then letting the owner share it for £100 a month. If anything you might be charging relative too much but it's a small pro e to pay to have your horse cared for and not to worry about it and have to pay out £400+ every month .

holeymoley

Visit site
It depends if you're doing it as a favour as such.

You need to sit down and work it all out though. A full set of shoes is roughly about £75/£80. Then your hay and bedding, add about £50 per month, then your hard feed, depending on what it is. If you're doing it as a favour, I'd at least charge for the 'materials' as such or you'll end up out of pocket.

FairyLights

Visit site
Exactly CBAnglo thats how I look at it
I do have a horse of my own too and if I didnt have my sons horse as companion then I would need a pony or something as field companion. I think we are getting a good deal, both of us TBH
We make our own hay so I dont charge for it nor for grazing or stable just for what is bought in so thats things like shoes [ he isnt ridden much and isnt shod all year round anyway] wormers and a bit of chaff and nuts. even if I put the odd new rug numnah bridle part etc into the equation then £80 - £100 a month is what he costs.

Last edited:

charlie76

Visit site
I charge 140 per WEEK excluding exercise , shoes etc. Not sure how anyone could do full livery for 100 a month!

mairiwick

Visit site
So long are your son and you are both happy with the arrangement, then there's really no problem.

FWIW, my sharer pays £300pm at the moment... If you thought you were shot down in flames imagine the reaction to that!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
i don't know why people were saying £100 a month for a sharer is expensive, mine was paying £25 a week which is the norm round here.

mairiwick

Visit site
Mairiwick - holy 5h1t! I'm looking for two sharers for my two horses - send a replica of your sharer my way!!

I know, I'm very lucky Whoopit! They were paying £120 initially but a few things happened around the back end of last year and we needed to move her. Was a better but more expensive set up and my sharer offered to go halves on everything (except vet bills). They are also a very nice person and get on brilliantly with my mare - it works very well for all of us - although I do feel guilty she pays more than if we could do DIY etc... but we can't so as soon as I can drop it down for them I will and I'll have to live with that for now.

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Full livery here in bucks where I am starts at about 700 per month for a. Stable and basic facilities.
Edited to add- this does not include shoes, vet etc. just standard full livery needs (feed, bedding, turnout etc)

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If the arrangement works for you and your son then it sounds fine to me. Mutual benefits all round, as long as it covers shoes/feed etc. Slightly unrelated questions - who pays for vet bills incidentally?