Full Livery: Expectations

mickey

Visit site
If you are on full livery, which kind of jobs have you taken on yourself because the yard, for whatever reason, doesn't do these jobs that you want doing? Are you happy to take these on considering you are paying for full livery?

Snowysadude

Visit site
Well i am currently on part livery but full livery on our yard includes muck out, turn out, bring in, change rugs and pick out feet. All hay, feed and shavings. Field Manure Picking, Routine Farrier, Vet Visits, daily grooming and tack cleaning. Riding/Exercising 3 times per week.

So cant actually think of anything else i usually do. I pay extra when i need him clipped and anything else i decide i want doing, but otherwise its just a case of turn up and ride! The only thing i dont get in part livery is the field being poo picked.

mickey

Visit site
Can I be inquisitive and ask how much full livery is? It sounds like a lot of care.
smile.gif

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
As a YO our full liveries get complete full care and we even babysit for free so owners can ride, the part and Diy's do more themselfs with just the mucking out turning out and pop pick done.

Enfys

Visit site
I wouldn't lift a finger, unless I chose to do so, if I was paying for FL I wouldn't expect to have to do anything other than turn up and pay the bills for the privilege, having to do something means it isn't FULL livery.

I have never been on FL, so haven't been in the situation. I have worked at plenty of yards that provided it. Full meant full, as in the works, that would have included the horse being groomed and tacked up, plaited, whatever, and taken away and done at the end of the day too, if that is what was required.

If I was offering FL that is what my owners would pay for and receive.

Snowysadude

Visit site
For 7 day full livery its £115 a week (what i was explaining here)
smile.gif

For 7 days part livery its £90 a week
For 5 day part its £75 a week

Part livery includes muck out, turn out, bring in, change rugs and pick out feet. All hay, feed and shavings. Field Manure Picking, Routine Farrier and Vet Visits.

smile.gif

Snowysadude

Visit site
Vale veiw was one i was going to go to until i saw the facilites and the YO told me you never even get use of the indoor school and rarely get the outdoor(s) unless you have a lesson (at £45 per hour!). I chose my current one instead which is much closer to uni, much cheaper and offers a lot more (plus is laid back thank goodness) - so i am very glad i did, even though it doesnt hold as many competitions
smile.gif

saskia295

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
which kind of jobs have you taken on yourself because the yard, for whatever reason, doesn't do these jobs that you want doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're paying for full livery, you shouldn't be doing anything and if you think the yard isn't doing it then either change yards or renegotiate the price!

If they are doing things, just now in YOUR particular way, then that's tough I'm afraid!

Full livery should include everything, muck out, feed, rug change, groom, exercise and in some places tack cleaning and plaiting up etc as well.

Part livery includes the basic care, muck out, feed, rug changes, etc just no exercise.

I am on part livery and I absolutely adore my yard, they are amazing
grin.gif

sky1234

Visit site
I'm on part livery too. Everything is done. Although I still find things to do, not that they need doing but just because I like to.

The difference with full livery is that in addition to them being totally cared for, the horses are exercised daily (either ridden, lunged or on the horsewalker usually), tack is cleaned and you could turn up and your horse would be tacked up ready for you, and then you could leave the sweaty horse to be cleaned off by the yard staff. Also, the horse would be prepared and plaited if you were going to a show. To be honest unless I had injured myself I wouldn't ever want my horse on full livery as there hardly seems much point in owning him.

Bessieboo

Visit site
I have full livery.............well thats what the yard owners call it but reading all the stuff you guys have posted it is now obvious to me that I am actually on part livery.

It consists of feeding, turnout, skipping out stable on some days and mucking out on others, bringing in and thats about it.

They do not pick feet, exercise, change rugs etc unless you are prepared to pay extra. I have even been told recently that I am not allowed to get extra bedding for my horse unless I want to pay an additional cost.

However I expect as I pay £75.00 per week instead of £115.00 it seems fair enough.

geraldgiraffe

Visit site
I think full livery varies from place to place, at the yard i used to be on it included bedding, feed, mucking out and changing rugs (winter) and basically out at grass summer, certainly no grooming, exercising or bringing in outside of the set bring in times. All for the bargain price of £110 per week all year round! But if people are willing to payyou can charge what you like.
smirk.gif

Suzie86

Visit site
errr had a look on that valeview website and that is the weirdest DIY livery iv ever seen!! since when does diy include mucking out turnout etc etc???!!!! at my yard part is £425 a month and full is £575, the only difference as far as i can see is the horses are groomed and ridden, and tack is cleaned
smile.gif

atouchwild

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well i am currently on part livery but full livery on our yard includes muck out, turn out, bring in, change rugs and pick out feet. All hay, feed and shavings. Field Manure Picking, Routine Farrier, Vet Visits, daily grooming and tack cleaning. Riding/Exercising 3 times per week.

[/ QUOTE ]

We do full livery in Lincs and it is exactly the same as this, but ride 6 times a week. Feed is included but owners have to supply any supplements. Breaking livery is the same.
Part livery is exactly the same but wthout riding - we will ride at at an extra charge of £10 per time if it only wants riding once or twice a week perhaps.

One clip is included, any subsequent clips we charge for depending on clip.

We charge £120 p/w for full, £90 for part.
Hope this helps!

Mithras

Visit site
Full livery should be that if you don't come up at all, your horse is completely looked after. I've been on full livery where it didn't include bringing in for farrier or vet, or hard feed, and it felt like a swizz. Interestingly, in Scotland I have never come across full livery with riding included. Full livery is just mucking out, turning out and bringing in and feeding.

Tiffany

Visit site
Depends what the yard considers full livery and what you agreed before moving on. On the yard I'm on it includes:
Stable/Grazing
Mucking out plus skips outs throughout the day
Turn out/Bring in
Change rugs
Haylage
Hard feed
Grooming inc picking feet out
Horse walker

Exercising/schooling is extra.
They do a fantastic job and I'm really pleased with the way they look after my girl.
smile.gif

Scoutie

Visit site
I am on full livery, I only need to do something if I want to. My horse is feed, mucked out, cleaned, exercised, tack cleaned, plaited, clipped, vet and farrier visits covered, lessons (instead of being exercised), even when I bought a new saddle this was arranged for me. Basically I just need to pay the bill! Having said this when I have the time I do what I can, I also think if you have ridden you should sort your horse out of respect for the animal.

mickey

Visit site
I have done DIY and full livery over the years. I have found with some full yards that what is advertised is not always what you get. I think I must be a soft person because sometimes when I have asked for things because I am not getting them they still do not happen.

One of the problems is that I suffer from an illness which fluctuates. When I am well I tend to go up every pm/am and groom, feed, rug my own horse and often exercise. I do not want other people exercising my horse on the whole. I think because I often do things myself it sometimes becomes expected by a yard.

I like to clip myself etc and be hands on, but although I think I would be better on a DIY yard, when I am unwell I cannot get to the yard, so I need it as an insurance offer. Also the current yard I have been at almost 5yrs and I want to stay at, although they only do full livery.

Current yard presents little of an issue, but some yds have done. Perhaps I am picky as well......I dunno, I think I would like some kind of part/flexible arrangement and I may approach this idea with the YO in the new year.