Full Livery People - Do you see your horse daily?

Petmurf

Visit site
As title, my boy is on full livery but I have it in my head that I HAVE to see him everyday, whether I’m riding or not, to the point that I put additional pressure on myself to get up there even when it’s cold and wet I still go, give him a hug, chat to him a bit then leave him to it.

I know he couldn’t care less if he saw me everyday or not so I wondered if other people are the same or do you give yourself a break a few evenings a week?

Petmurf

Visit site
Thank you ? I thought it might just be me that feels guilty ?

we just moved yards this week and I’m currently off work until 10th January so have been up there everyday but once I‘m working full time again I’ll get into a better routine for the rest of the winter so that I at least have time to go to the gym or slob out on an evening instead of rushing around everywhere as I’m currently doing. I know he is being very well looked after and has settled in brilliantly so really no need to worry.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I don’t see Harley every day! To be honest, I probably only see him 2/3 times a week? I’ve a part loaner that rides 3x a week, then I only go up to ride! I do try go up and see him when I’m not riding, but it never quite works out like that.

Uliy

Visit site
The best thing about full livery is that you can say “nah, it’s cold and rainy, I won’t go today”!

I sometimes feel guilty if I don’t see my mare over the weekend cos of conflicting social commitments, but I’m sure she couldn’t care less! ☺️

Bernster

Visit site
I think we beat ourselves up by comparing ourselves to others or worry what others expect of us. I’m another who has full livery and doesn’t go every day due to work, family events, or just needing time at home. I do spend a long time when I’m there though!

Petmurf

Visit site
I think we beat ourselves up by comparing ourselves to others or worry what others expect of us. I’m another who has full livery and doesn’t go every day due to work, family events, or just needing time at home. I do spend a long time when I’m there though!
I agree but our new yard don’t care if you ride or just come up and pat your horse and go again, it’s just my inner guilt that makes me feel I have to be there, at weekends I will be there a lot and once Spring arrives I’ll be up there a lot more, I think I just have to give us both a break over winter, I might actually get some jobs done at home now ?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
In an ideal world I'd like to go every day - but if work is busy or I'm on call then I can't go. I don't feel guilty about that- it's why they're on full livery ?

Sometimes I do go over just to cuddle them (especially as I can't ride at the moment) but with normally having two in work most days I will be riding or lunging.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I see mine every day and twice a day at weekends!! I'm crap at full livery and just feel guilty if I don't go. Which is stupid. But luckily I'm only 3miles away so it's not that big a deal. Plus it helps me switch off after work. It is very useful when I do need to be somewhere else as I just tell them and don't have to think about arranging anything. I do not miss the endless mucking out and the very early mornings now I'm older and less fit (although I do skip out in the evening) I was once a DIY, I think it's hard to entirely give it up.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve been on livery where all care needs are meant to be taken care of but haven’t felt that I could 100% trust them to e.g. spot a puncture wound from a field injury so I’ve gone up everyday to check even for a few minutes. However it’s not ideal and really you should have confidence they’re well cared for and be able to have some days off without any guilt and enjoy it.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
I do take breaks but I do feel guilty because full livery doesn’t include my horse being ridden so if I can’t make it then she doesn’t get ridden.

ihatework

Visit site
When I was competing I tried to go up every day, mostly because I’d ride 6 days/week but I also liked to check legs etc for my peace of mind. That said there would be the occasional day I wouldn’t go for various reasons, and that is the benefit of full livery!

These days I don’t compete them myself and when they are on full/competition livery I definitely don’t go up every day!! Once or twice a week only

Petmurf

Visit site
I see mine every day and twice a day at weekends!! I'm crap at full livery and just feel guilty if I don't go. Which is stupid. But luckily I'm only 3miles away so it's not that big a deal. Plus it helps me switch off after work. It is very useful when I do need to be somewhere else as I just tell them and don't have to think about arranging anything. I do not miss the endless mucking out and the very early mornings now I'm older and less fit (although I do skip out in the evening) I was once a DIY, I think it's hard to entirely give it up.
Same here, I’m only 3 miles away but I have to go up hill and across the moors so when it’s icy or snowing I can’t get anywhere. I don’t have to do anything on full livery, just ride or cuddle him

Petmurf

Visit site
I do take breaks but I do feel guilty because full livery doesn’t include my horse being ridden so if I can’t make it then she doesn’t get ridden.

same here, if I don’t go up he doesn’t get ridden, I can request it as an extra though. I don’t mind him having a bit of a break over winter though, I’ll aim to ride him 3/4 times a week weather permitting just to keep him ticking over until the nights get lighter then. We’ll be off again to riding 4/5 times a week

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
When my two were on full livery I had to go up every day - because the grooms couldn't be bothered giving them any hay (it's an effort filling a haynet). They'd come in at around 2pm, and I'd get there at 5pm or so - no hay left. No more food until they went to the field at 10am or so. I was paying full livery (with no discount) but also using my own hay.

Ask me why I returned to DIY pretty sharpish?!

If I found full livery I could trust, I'd probably have one or two nights off a week.

Winters100

Visit site
Mine are on what I would class as part livery, but I believe would be called full livery by some people. I class it as part because the only exercise included is the horse walker, no riding or lunging. I go every day as I like to have them fit, but it is nice to know that in an emergency it is not necessary. The last 2 days we have had some illness in the house, so I have stayed home and not worried about them.

The only thing it does not include (apart from exercise) is poo picking. The fields are farrowed, but I prefer them done properly, so I do mine myself. I only go every day to keep them fit, if they could be ridden for me by someone suitable and at reasonable cost then I would be tempted to cut it to 5 days a week.

Edited to add that I really don't think it matters how much or how little you see your horse, if they have a good standard of care then that is the important thing.

Trinket12

Visit site
In an ideal world I would love to, but Sugar is on full livery because I work full time and her barn isn't super close to me (anywhere from a 30 min drive to an hour depending on time of day). My work is very flexible so I can go down and see her more than if I was in an office 9 am to 5 pm which is nice, but I don't feel guilty. She's hanging out with her boys and in no way is wondering where I am!

Edit: I ride twice a week, and I have a leaser who rides her once a week, I have been throwing in the odd extra lesson the last couple of months (much to Sugar's disgust!) and I also make sure I am there for farrier, vet stuff and her bodywork.

sherry90

Visit site
Most weeks I do see him daily and weekends it’s both days and often twice (I’m DIY at weekends)

If I’m busy or away with work during the week and simply can’t, I don’t and don’t worry. The staff are there 9-5 and then other liveries are really good and check on them of an evening and then YO does night checks too.

He generally has 2/3 days off a week anyway so I just plan these days round when I am away etc but if I’m not away and he’s having a day off I might still pop up to groom and faff. I do like that I don’t have to force myself up/rush around to sort him during the week when work is full on but equally I know he’s fed, happy and healthy!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I feel the same as you OP. I’ve always been on DIY until recently so I think the guilty feeling is linked to that. I do take an occasional day off every now and then but really I always feel better for having spent time with my girl because she is my best friend and peaceful place ?

Petmurf

Visit site
My horse greets me with a ‘where’s my carrot’, but her equine friend gets a whinny and a dance, so no I don’t feel guilty as I know my place in the pecking order!
That’s a brilliant way of looking at it. Just because he’s my world doesn’t necessarily mean I’m his.