Full livery price

Starzaan

Visit site
I’m in the Cotswolds, and you won’t find full livery for less than £150 a week here. Full livery includes all care and exercise.
When I had a yard I charged £150 a week for full livery and £230 a week for hunting livery (this included all hunting prep and driving to the meet and second horses, so took either myself or one of my grooms off the yard for a good chunk of every hunting day).

Last edited:

Smogul

Visit site
What do you mean by full livery? In our area, it does not include exercise. If you want your horse exercised, you would need to look for schooling or training livery which costs a lot more

gallopingby

Visit site
Full livery should include everything required so that means excercise. Other would be a definition of part livery. Schooling or training is not the same!

lannerch

Visit site
But is ridden exercise really required for a horse? Plenty of horses never or rarely get ridden but for full livery they should get daily turnout.
Here in north west full livery without excercise is around £120 per week depending on facility’s and ridden excercise is around £160.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I pay 190 for full livery including professional schooling and hacking out (by them) It’s in Cheshire on a yard with beyond amazing facilities so this is pretty much top whack in Cheshire

Ruftysdad

Visit site
Ours is £90 pw in York to include everything bar feed. If you want to add exercise that’s £140 pw.
I was wondering how much people pay for full livery and does it depend on the area/ facilities etc? Thanks!
My horse is on retirement livery but still gets ridden when the Y O needs company for younger horses. £70 a week in at night out in day. All feed, rugs changed etc . I feel very lucky

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
NW Surrey, decent yard with facilities (and potential to be taken to comps), about £250pw.
That's everything included, Inc daily turnout, dealing with vets, farriers etc, exercise daily (horse walker, hacked out and 1 or 2 short schooling sessions) extra on top for more regular schooling.
Intensive or backing is a little more on some yards.

Smogul

Visit site
Full livery should include everything required so that means excercise. Other would be a definition of part livery. Schooling or training is not the same!

That is only your opinion and is what is on offer in your area. I have not seen any yard in this area who include exercise in full livery. And yes, schooling or training livery is used to describe the option that includes exercise and it is much more expensive. This is why I asked the question.

sport horse

Visit site
Full livery should mean everything a horse needs ie food, bedding, grooming, tack cleaning and exercise. If you define exercise as being turned out in a field that is your opinion but it is not mine.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Full livery locally is understood to include all basic care, stable and turnout, but exercise is an extra service. . Hunter livery includes exercise, bathing, clipping and plaiting and transport to hunt.

lannerch

Visit site
So in your opinion a horse at stud so never ridden or a retired or young horse also never ridden is being kept in a way it’s needs are lacking even if everything else is top notch?

IMO a horse only needs daily excercise if they need to be fit to perform the job they do, otherwise excercise as daily turnout in a good condition field is more than adequate.

twiggy2

Visit site
I think it depends in where you are to be honest. I have worked on many yards that provide full livery and expertise has never been included on any of them.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Full livery in and around Sheffield is about £100 to £150 per week. Turnout seems to be included but not exercise unless top end of the price range. I'm no expert though as I'll never be able to afford full livery so do DIY

eggs

Visit site
In the days when I was last on livery - more than 20 years ago - it was much simpler to know what the different livery packages were. DIY was just that. Part livery was all feed, bedding and care 7 days a week. Full Livery was the same as part plus ridden exercise, tack cleaning, prep for shows, etc.

Nowadays it really does seem to vary as one person's definition of full livery is not always the same as another person.

When I was last on full livery it was £120 per week so the costs have not increased by that much.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Full livery in Surrey normally means all accommodation, basic care, grooming and tack cleaning and basic exercise e.g. a combination of lunge twice, horse walker twice, hack twice, school twice; number of days to be agreed. I've seen full livery contracts that include exercising 3-4 times a week as included, and more or show prep plaiting etc. as extra. Some include laundry and trimming / pulling / clipping and some don't.

The vast majority of yards in Surrey are 5 or 7 day part livery - muck out, turnout / bring in, feed, hay, water, rug change, check, pick out feed. With most other things as chargeable optional extras.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
My horse is kept on full livery near Birmingham, and I pay £400pm for all care and one bale of shavings per week. Before that I paid £500/520pm on the outskirts of London.

I’ve also lived in Norwich and Leeds and kept horses in both, but I’ve never known full livery to include exercise in any of the above areas. We always called that exercise livery (which is considerably more expensive, and usually includes tack cleaning too).