Full Livery Question?

eekmon

Visit site
How many people have the luxury ( for whatever reason) of having their horse/horses on full livery, seven days a week? If so how much do you pay and what do you get for your money?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I have my horses on full showing livery. This includes good sized stables with rubber matting, all bedding, feed, hay, buckets, mangers, haybars and other stable equipment. Mucking out several times a day etc. Rugs changed several times a day according to weather. Horses turned out and brought in each day, groomed and strapped each day, exercised as required, schooled as required, lessons free. Use of outdoor school, jumping field, hacking track, jumps as required. Normally includes use of show saddles and bridles unless very unusual requirements. Grooms at shows are included in the cost. Horses prepared for a show (clipping, trimming, bathing etc all included). If I happen to be passing for work and have my riding stuff with me, I can ring and ask them to get Pimms ready and ride for 30 minutes, then hand her back and run away (not ideal as I prefer to do it myself, but better than not riding at all!)

Extras are farrier, insurance, supplements (if they are very unusual), rugs, transport to shows.

Costs me £170 per week which is a small fortune for me but worth it!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Depends how you define Full Livery, IMO full livery is everything, all stable work, grooming, exercising, tack cleaning, provision of all hay, feed and bedding 7 days per week. However, many yards provide the labour for stable chores, turn out and bring in, change rugs, provide all the feed, hay and bedding but leave grooming and exercise to the owner and call it full livery.

Mine are on the second option above and my yard refer to that as part livery. It works best for me as I work and my OH does not want me getting up at the crack of dawn each and every day to do the horses. To be honest if I was on DIY and had all the running around to do to get feed, hay etc it would more than likely come to the same amount a part livery anyway!

Rambo

Visit site
My two are on 'Full' Livery (but what I describe as Part Livery....everything done except grooming, tack cleaning and exercise)...It costs £75 p/w each.

crackerjack

Visit site
Full livery minus grooming/tack cleaning and riding is £70.
That includes everything else (hay/ straw/ feed) and all looking after done for me.

Parkranger

Visit site
Mine is assisted DIY and costs £58 a week - that's turnout, feed, haylage, rugging up. Doesn't include mucking out, exercise, grooming etc....works out quite well for me.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Am on full schooling livery - which includes all feed/bedding/turnout/rugs/clipping/exercising & schooling....horse schooled 6 days a week, includes use of xcountry course, sand arena & can join in any lessons I like...
includes transport to shows etc. (if horsebox is going)
excludes vets fees & farrier - they would groom for me for a show or whatever as well if I asked but I enjoy that bit....
doesn't include tack cleaning

costs €150 pw (about £110)
It is expensive but he needs schooling and by myself I would struggle during the winter to get to ride him more than twice during the week. In addition I'm not knowledgeable enough (yet!!!) to do it all by myself & want the best care for my Ned (poor fella's coming home to live with us next summer - god help him!)
YO is fantastic and puts up with the dumbest blondest questions so I consider it money well spent

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Im on full livery, which includes the following as standard:-

1) All mucking out
2) All turning out and bringing in
3) Legs washed, feet picked out when they come in
4) All rug changes
5) All grooming
6) Horses held for blacksmith and vet
7) Arrangements for blacksmith, vet, back people (i.e if you tell them you want horse vacinating or whatever, they'll arrange it. They also book the farrier themselves)
8) Tack cleaned
9) Boots / bandages / lightweight rugs / saddle cloths washed (they cant do heavyweight rugs because of the size of the washer)
10) All food (haylage and hard feed excluding supplements)
11) All bedding (shavings)
12) All use of facilities (2 schools, lunging arena and jumping paddock)

Aside from this there is transport available at a moments notice in the case of emergencies. They'll also take you to shows etc if you warn them in advance. This is charged seperatly though.

Exercise is available by the YO (ex british dressage YR) but its charged extra. I dont use this though

Lessons are charged at a discounted rate for liveries.

They will basically do anything for you where I am, its a very complete package for people who dont go up daily. However, I do so my horse isnt exercised. The YO and family live on site however, meaning the horses are monitored throughout the day and checked very very late at night. (YO has got up at 3am in the morning to check on my horsey before when he was ill). YO's sister is also a vet which comes in handy!
smile.gif

My average livery bill comes to £450 a month (excluding shoes) which I dont think is bad. It does fluctuate slightly depending on how much he's eating
wink.gif
Most of all, I trust the YO completly. She's probably the only person who's opinion I genuinely trust :p

The only downside is that the YO teaches a lot, particularly the BYRDs people in the area and it can make the main outdoor school crazily busy. That being said, even on her very busy days, she'll generally get the liveries school time when we show up (even if it means her distracting her lessons with tea and biccies)

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Ah - got it!
So just over £100 per week but you have to do the horse at the weekends. Plus feed which will be say £20 per week on average. £120 Monday to Friday seems fairly pricey. What else is included i.e. lessons, facilities, exercising/schooling etc etc/

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Outdoor school only, limited hacking, but is offroad, feild for jumping in - unlit so unusable on weeknights.
Lesson you would have to arrange and pay for yourself, and u would have to ride/school yourself.

I did think it was rather pricey, I remember years ago (well 6) knowing someone who charged people to muck out and turn out their horses and she was £3.5 per muck out +£2 per turnout a day.

It would be pretty cutchy though at that price. I would only need to do 3 horses a week to be earning as much as I am now - LOADS of free time
laugh.gif
. I dont know may grooms that would be earning nearly 16k a year though!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So I take it that paying £100 for a stable, £25 for haylege, then £70 for full livery Mon-Friday is quite reasonable then?

Thats £380 a month, without feed, riding etc.

Or is that expensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds extortianate to me
shocked.gif

How can it be called 'Full Livery' when it's only 5 days a week, doesn't include feed, haylege, a stable, tack cleaning or exercising...I wouldn't even call it 'Part Livery'
crazy.gif

Basically you're paying £14 per day for someone to muck your horse out
shocked.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
It sounds pretty expensive even compared to the money I pay as I said, I pay £170 per week. But if necessary my horse is schooled every day by a top HOYS professional, they supply tack for me etc, so I think it is probably better value than what you have been offered.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I want to be at your yard FMM, sounds fab
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Come and join us! We have a lovely time. I am hacked off as one of the liveries is "doing lunch" tomorrow in the log cabin and that means yummy food and puddings and I can't go (big stamp of feet!)

M

madabout2

Well try this!

My "full" livery was £66 per week for the stable, bringing in, hosing/cleaning feet, changing rugs
then £10 for shavings per week
£17 for haylage
£12 feed:

so far we're on £105.00

to school every day would be another £105
Oh grooming would £6.50 a time.

a single lesson would be £30

provide my own tack, rugs, cleaning material, grooming kit etc.

Then if I went to a show and my trainer came with me that would be £100.

If I took a space in theor lorry it would be 25p per mile plus £50.

No wonder I was skint!!

Now do it myself and have just worked my bill out for the month:
£120 stable and use of all facilities
£19.10 haylage and feed and shavings
And if we make the feeds up they feed for us free!
If I have anyone school (and they're all qualitfied) my horse its £3!

HEAVEN!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want to be at your yard FMM, sounds fab
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Come and join us! We have a lovely time. I am hacked off as one of the liveries is "doing lunch" tomorrow in the log cabin and that means yummy food and puddings and I can't go (big stamp of feet!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to...dont think my OH would appreciate the long drive daily though (well nor would i) lol...can you move it down here hehe
smile.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
You are probably closer than me .... I live 80 miles away so if I wasn't satisfied with the yard I would be VERY unhappy. However, being that it is my sister's place, don't get much choice ....

ihatework

Visit site
I've just had the luxuary of full livery for a month, but he came home today so back to reality for me!
It cost £110 per week inclusive of everything except ridden exercise and shoes/vets bills. Obviously feed, hay, shavings, mucking out, grooming, turn out, putting on horse walker, cold hosing his legs, holding for the physio.
I think this is on the expensive side of part/full livery however in comparison to some yards I have seen the quality of care was far superior, my horse was treated like one of their own and very much pampered!
If I could afford it long term he would go back there!

Lozz1uk

Visit site
I'm about to go on full livery as i'm fed up of not getting to the yard til 7pm, mucking out etc and then having to get home. Managed to ride once this week and that was the day I drove 220 miles down to London and back!
I'll be paying £390 a month (works out £90 pw over the year) which is all mucking out/feed/rugs/turnout etc and exercise twice a week if I want it (no reduction if not). I think that's fairly expensive given that our facilities aren't great, but I've yet to find a nicer yard people wise, so it's worth the money!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the yard then, in kent???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - Berkshire - Maidenhead (just off J8/9) - very convenient for motorways, but still 160 mile round trip every time I go riding
crazy.gif