Full livery

JBM

Visit site
Hi
My horse is on full livery and it’s been bothering me recently cuz her stable has always been kinda dirty? The girl who runs the place says Judy gets half a bale of shavings every 3 days..Judy is 16hh and in 24/7 cuz they don’t do winter turnout (I try to exercise her as much as possible) but I’m not sure they poo pick? Or my Judy is just incredibly dirty seems like her stable always disgusting really..I try to muck out whenever I’m up but my sharer rides half the week…do full livery’s usually clean stables everyday?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
How does her stable compare to other horses at the stables that are on full livery. Are they dirty too. Is the general standard of care low?
I would expect them to be mucked out daily. Ours are mucked out in the morning and skipped out every evening.

JBM

Visit site
How does her stable compare to other horses at the stables that are on full livery. Are they dirty too. Is the general standard of care low?
I would expect them to be mucked out daily. Ours are mucked out in the morning and skipped out every evening.
I’m not too sure sometimes they look great and others not so much but there’s only around 7 livery’s the rest are lesson horses and lesson horses are barely in. I know Judy has a leak in her stable which isn’t helping makes all her bedding wet

SO1

Visit site
My pony is on box rest and controlled walking due to an injury and on full livery. He is mucked out in the morning and also skipped out twice a day by staff. I am often at the yard in the evening and will do a further skip out. My pony is very tidy as he poos in the same place but having had a leak in his stable before that did make it more messy when it rained.

If she is in 24/7 due to no winter turnout and only getting mucked out once a day then her stable is likely to be a mess.

Auslander

Visit site
I'd be looking for a better home for my horse!
I don't skip out my liveries in the afternoon - because I don't need to, as they're in the field from 7am all year round. I absolutely hate the 24/7 stabled culture that seems to be becoming more and more of a thing.
Anything on box rest gets skipped out every time I go in the stable. I like my beds nice, so I try not to let the horses drag poo through them!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine have 2 or 3 bales a week of shavings, and they are out for 8 hours a day. I can't think how anyone could keep a stable clean with a horse in 24hrs, on half a bale every 3 days. That is only just over 1 bale a week.

I could manage on 1 bale a week, if the horse was out all day, the stable was big, with a non bedded area to catch some of the poo.

The wee alone would soak through 1/6 a bale a day on a 24 hour stabled horse, which is all your horse is getting, not to mention some wastage when poo picking. If no poo picking is done, the wastage would be even more as the poos would be pressed in.

I have been on a similar yard once. I paid for extra bales, but even then I'm not sure I got the bales I paid for. So, I took to doing a big muck out myself at the weekend, despite paying full livery, putting the bales in at the start of the week. It still wasn't satisfactory, for many reasons, despite looking good on first arrival and having good facilities, so I left. I now have them at home. Out every day, all weathers, turned onto the arena if necessary.

I would move. Dirty bedding will affect hoof health and lung health. In 24 hours will affect long term soundness and make colic more likely. It is do-able if the horse is actually worked every day, but that doesn't mean a stroll round the block or a sail round the horse walker, or a wizz round on the lunge. The bedding would still need to be clean.

MissTyc

Visit site
Unfortunately some horses are very mucky, and I'd expect the livery to work with that and anticipate that some horses need more shavings + no turnout + leak = yes, I'd imagine a pretty grim bed to be honest, and I wouldn't be happy about that for my horses.
My gelding needs about half a bale of aubiose per week > he poos in one corner, wees neatly in the middle, doesn't leave a blade of hay out of pay doesn't play with his water. My mare about the same per day > she poos everywhere, steps in and mixes everything up, wees in random corners, including on her hay which she then dissects for decorative purposes. So that's what they get to protect their feet, their lungs, etc. They are both out 6am to 6pm in winter - I haven't started winter routine yet as it's been so mild and dry that my horses are actually still on their summer grazing this year :)

JBM

Visit site
I tried to move twice and both livery’s filled up faster than I could move Judy..had a stable reserved and then they didn’t keep it for me so trying to build my own stable at home for her but planning permission takes yoinks and last year I had her out 24/7 but she lost a LOT of body condition.
But thank you at least I know I’m not crazy I’ve been mucking her out once a week myself but I’ll have to try get down more to much her out more and get those stables built ASAP.
Girl who owns it keeps saying the leaks going to get fixed..last week she had a whole brand new 5 stables built and moved her own horses in and leak is still there..horse beside me has a hole in her stable..it just shocks me that no one else seems to care?

Birker2020

Visit site
I tried to move twice and both livery’s filled up faster than I could move Judy..had a stable reserved and then they didn’t keep it for me so trying to build my own stable at home for her but planning permission takes yoinks and last year I had her out 24/7 but she lost a LOT of body condition.
But thank you at least I know I’m not crazy I’ve been mucking her out once a week myself but I’ll have to try get down more to much her out more and get those stables built ASAP.
Girl who owns it keeps saying the leaks going to get fixed..last week she had a whole brand new 5 stables built and moved her own horses in and leak is still there..horse beside me has a hole in her stable..it just shocks me that no one else seems to care?
Well having a leaky roof will contribute to wet bedding. THat needs to be remedied ASAP as shavings aren't cheap. Luckily if we had an issue like that on our yard it would be fixed very quickly. We had hail go through a number of roof lights last year or the year before, it was a freak storm so we go them all repaired in about four days, it was amazingly quick.

Reactions: JBM

Widgeon

Visit site
If I remember rightly, you're quite young, your dad's a farmer and you had her at home by herself, but you moved her to a yard so she'd have horsey company? Sorry if I've got that wrong. If that's correct then I feel sorry for you that you've done the right thing by your horse and now this yard is letting you down. The leak in the roof is a joke - is there any chance you could get your dad to have a word with them? Even if he's not horsey, you wouldn't keep any kind of livestock in for the winter in a small barn that leaks that badly. Maybe that would help a bit in the short term? I'd be concerned that the YO is basically taking advantage of your good nature and needs a good (verbal) kick up the backside so you get the service you're paying for.
Best of luck with it, this sounds like a really rubbish situation for you and your horse. I hope she's otherwise well. Doing your own mucking out is a good idea.

JBM

Visit site
If I remember rightly, you're quite young, your dad's a farmer and you had her at home by herself, but you moved her to a yard so she'd have horsey company? Sorry if I've got that wrong. If that's correct then I feel sorry for you that you've done the right thing by your horse and now this yard is letting you down. The leak in the roof is a joke - is there any chance you could get your dad to have a word with them? Even if he's not horsey, you wouldn't keep any kind of livestock in for the winter in a small barn that leaks that badly. Maybe that would help a bit in the short term? I'd be concerned that the YO is basically taking advantage of your good nature and needs a good (verbal) kick up the backside so you get the service you're paying for.
Best of luck with it, this sounds like a really rubbish situation for you and your horse. I hope she's otherwise well. Doing your own mucking out is a good idea.
Yes all correct thank you ? my dad is already doing so much! He has given me a piece of my own land and has said he will build me my own livery so I can have Judy at home! The livery would get rid of Judy being lonely as there would be other horses and she would be at home so I could muck her out multiple times a day and she will get winter turnout.
I’m posting on Facebook in the hopes of getting a winter turnout field or some stables to rent just someone who has a few and we will see how that goes just hoping I can get this sorted but don’t want to say too much to the owner cuz if I get kicked out I pretty much have no where good to go at the moment

JBM

Visit site
I would ask for an extra bale a week, (or ask your dad to) whilst the roof is leaking? or a discount on livery so you can buy an extra bale. I expect they will fix the roof quicker then. It is not really fair that you get a lesser service than everyone else
Thank you I’ll try that