Full neck rugs that rub - opinions please

Lorian

community.webshots.com
Hi

Which rugs do and dont rub manes out? Im looking for a new 350/360g with full neck but dont know what brand or whether to go combo or detachable neck.

On my arab who has very fine hair that falls out easily I find Weatherbeeta Combos rub it out the worse. Do the weatherbeeta detachable necks rub out less?
What do other people think?

I was considering a Jumpers Horse Line combo as I had heard these are good to not rub manes out or a Rhino Detachable neck... Opinions please...

Also if anyone knows of a supplement or product that helps the mane grow back please let me know as my boy has a gap of about 4 inches bald spot in the middle of his mane and he looks very stupid!
confused.gif

Janette

Visit site
I had a Mark Todd HW turnout, which rubbed Star's mane out quite a lot at the lower part of her neck. The bottom part of Star's mane disappeared and she developed a punk rocker style over the crest of her neck. Not a good look for a hairy coloured with a mane 18" long....
confused.gif

Also, A Shires Combo Stable rug did the same the previous year.

This year, I've got a Weatherbeeta neckless HW, and a neck to put on when the weather is foul.

Lots of people recommend Megatek for getting the mane to grow faster. I'm not sure it does this, but it does make the new hair far stronger and less likely to break.

celia

Visit site
I've found the same with all combo necks. Detatchable ones do seem a little better but I now mainly use half neck rugs which seem to keep my lad just as warm and almost as dry. I have a detatchable neck on one rug which I keep for when it's really pelting it down but I have a couple of combos in the cupboard that I doubt I'll use again - the huge chunk of hair missing from the middle of the neck is not a good look!

toteymote

Visit site
I've got the same problem with toto as he has got a huge chunk missing! But hes in the same rug as he was last year and it didn't rub at all last year
crazy.gif
As sarah B has said hoods are supposed to work and ive also been spraying lots of mane and tail spray on his mane and it seems to have stopped the rubbing from getting any worse and its slowly starting to grow back
smile.gif

PennyJ

Visit site
So far so good with my two wearing Rhino detachable neck combo rugs this year. Previously they have worn WB combo rugs and have had baldy patches. There's still a few months to go though... They are still wearing WB full neck stable rugs though which I have to admit were the ones I thought were causing the problem.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Are the rugs actually rubbing? A weird question, but half of Tarquin's mane falls out ever year regardless of whether he is wearing a neck cover/combo rug or not. And up until recently I thought I was alone in this frustrating conundrum, his mane literally falls out in clumps, but a friend said she knew of a few horses with the same problem including broodmares that are rarely brushed and never rugged. This year as Tarquin has been out of action for 5 months with suspensory injury I have lightly rugged him and not groomed him (I am a cruel mommy) and although the mane has not fallen out yet it has the consistancy of the mane hair that usually falls out, usually whilst riding!

QuobAsti

Visit site
My girls mane was being rubbed the first year when using WB rugs.

Ever since i've been using Horseware rugs for the last few years i haven't had any problems. Infact her mane has got quite long hiding under her full neck rugs lol

vickyhd

Visit site

I have had this problem with my Lippizzaner in previous years, but never with my thoroughbred. They wear identical rugs so it may have something to do with the thickness of the neck inside!!
I have tried putting a Sunggy turnout hood on the Lippi this year (under the neck cover) and it has prevented any bald patches so far - yeh!

maybedaisy

Visit site
One of mine is turned out in an Amigo with a detachable hood, that cause no problems but the Rhino stable combo has rubbed her mane.

lucythomas

Visit site
In 10 years we've never had any problems with h/w rhino full neck rugs. Horseware necks seem to have move shape & design to them, to the point they mention it in the spec of the rug whereas the fit of the neck doesnt seem to be thought to much of in other brands. Also think detachable ones are better as they seem to be more flexible in movement instead of the fixed ones that seem to sit on the wither.

Lorian

community.webshots.com
I think we should turn our horses and their bald mane spots into the 'new trend' then we wouldnt have to worry about it hehe
grin.gif

Thanks for your replies, I think I will move away from my Weatherbeeta combo's!
I might try and get a Rhino detachable neck, then at least when its dry he can go out with out a neck on and the detachable neck might not rub as much as a combo.

Although as someone mentioned maybe a lycra hood would help. Does anyone know of a good lycra hoods to go under the rug or do you find it still rubs the mane out?

saddlesore

Visit site
I know its not quite the weight you are looking for (300g or 450g) but I have used the Premier Equine full neck rugs, combo and detachable, for years now and I think they are brilliant. They are a loose fit and don't seem to cause any mane rub
smile.gif

Lorian

community.webshots.com
Its a shame premier equine dont do a 350 or 360g one as I have their 450g one with detachable neck and its fab, probably best rug ive had (so far touch wood)! He wears it in the snow though and is toasty warm so will be too hot once it gets milder again, if it ever does! lol.

saddlesore

Visit site
Brilliant aren't they! Would a 300g just not be warm enough? I go straight from the 300 to the 450 and back again and my boy seems happy enough with this. Going to have to fork out on a new wardrobe for him though, he has had a growth spurt and his bum is currently hanging out of rug getting cold lol
blush.gif

ooh - plus its on sale atm!