Full/part livery near Manchester

pixie27

Visit site
Thinking of moving to Manchester (city centre) this year but I have no idea what livery/yards are like. Are there good full livery yards within a 20-30 minute drive from the city? What are prices like? Is it better to live north/south of the city to get out into the countryside? (By full I don’t mean riding, just 7 day care.) Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

outdoor girl

Visit site
I can certainly recommend Lower Dale Farm in Marple, which is near Stockport. Not sure if it's within a 30 minute drive from the city centre, but certainly worth looking at.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Take a look at Carringtons, that's as close as you'll get I think. Adlington is close to a railway station. May be assisted DIY only.

30 minutes at rush hour would be a big ask.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
When I lived in Manchester I was at Carringtons - it was really nice then. Surpringly rural despite being so close to Mcr. But that was 30 odd years ago so no idea what it is like these days.

Roxylola

Visit site
There's loads of yards around the outskirts - basically right round the m60 really, north is cheaper than south in general.
However having worked in the city centre, as a driver I think you'd struggle to be with 30 mins factoring in traffic, it's not far but more like 45 to 60 mins realistically.
You could live a little out though and probably do that

Flame_

Visit site
The Metrolink system around Manchester is really good. Your best best is live in a suburb, towards Cheshire, close to a Met station and use that for work, and close to some good yards.

Last edited:

Tirna

Visit site
I agree with the post above, the closer you live to Cheshire, the more options you'll have, certainly for full livery. I stabled my horse at Dairy House Farm (Altrincham) when I was living in Manchester and there's at least 4 other yards offering various livery packages in that area. The hacking is pretty good too!

Tirna

Visit site
Just to add, Matchington and Reed House are two of the other livery yards within the Altrincham area.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Do you compete? If so you really want Cheshire/south Manchester really. But if you want to hack in glorious hills on quiet lanes and tracks I’d go north of Manchester towards the Pennines. It will be cheaper livery there too.