Full/ part livery prices. What would you expect to pay for this.

charlie76

Visit site
Can anyone advise what they would expect to pay for the following as I'm unsure as to whether whether my livery is reasonable or not!
Yard is in Berkshire, close to m4 so not the cheapest of areas.

Facilities ..
Large matted monarch stables
Hot was box
Kitchen with facilities and hot water
Loo
Large monarch walker in the barn so under cover
Small indoor school/ exercise area
Lit 30x 55 arena( good well maintained surface)
All weather and grass gallops
Excellent hacking
Good grazing
Safe fencing
Set of show jumps
Alarmed tack room
CCTV

Services included in part livery
Feed
Hay
Bedding
( all good quality)

Staff on site all day
Staff living on site

Horses fed
Rug changed
Boots on
Turned out
Mucked out- beds up daily
Bedded down
Day nets filed and in
Night nets filled
Water changed
New bedding in daily
Feeds made up
Catch
Hoof pick
Wash feet
Rug change
PM skip out
Water changed
Put to bed- hay in, feed, skip out, rugs on, water
Last check
Fields poo picked daily

Full is the above plus two exercises, grooming, tack cleaning, trimming and bathing
Horses all bought in for owners to ride

The yard , feed room and surrounding areas are kept immaculately clean,
Arenas are levelled daily, fencing is well maintained, feed room kept clean and tidy as is the tack room
If anything needs fixing there is a handy man to do it.
Fields are topped and rolled.

So , what would you think is a reasonable price as I'm not sure if I'm paying too much!

Thanks,

Greylegs

Visit site
In this area (East Midlands) you would pay around £500 - £550 per month for that if such a place were available. Sounds amazingly good. In your area I have no idea but I'm guessing much more expensive. What are you paying?

Shooting Star

Visit site
I'm Surrey / Berkshire border and for part similar to what you describe tends to be around £600, for full most do more days of exercise but are £700+

be positive

Visit site
It's 520 per month part and 700 for full

I think at £520 a month you are undercharging, I think that should be nearer £150 per week so around £620 a month, then extra for full probably not by a huge amount but to keep it in line £750 would be about right depending on how much trimming/ bathing they expect.

It does depend a bit on your client base, someone with a happy hacker may not pay a premium for the facilities they don't need but a competition rider will use them and appreciate them.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
OP I thought you ran a yard? But your post says you are the livery?

The price you quote would be on the lower side of what I would expect to pay. But as always with livery it is how the yard is run where the value really is. I'd forgo the fancy facilities if I 110% trusted the staff and management.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I am in East Kent and pay about £490 for similar, though no indoor but 2 outdoors, but that is pretty reasonable for the area. I would have thought your area would be a bit more so you are charging about the right amount, but you could charge more

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm on a yard with similar facilities (minus the indoor school/gallops) in Surrey and pay a little under £600 for part livery. When I was full livery it was around £750 but I have a feeling the prices may have recently gone up.

Our yard is by far the best I've ever been on. The yard staff are incredibly knowledgeable, treat the horses like their own and are just genuinely lovely people. The liveries are equally a wonderful bunch of people and everyone is just super supportive of each other. I honestly can't imagine being anywhere else.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Can anyone advise what they would expect to pay for the following as I'm unsure as to whether whether my livery is reasonable or not!
Yard is in Berkshire, close to m4 so not the cheapest of areas.

Facilities ..
Large matted monarch stables
Hot was box
Kitchen with facilities and hot water
Loo
Large monarch walker in the barn so under cover
Small indoor school/ exercise area
Lit 30x 55 arena( good well maintained surface)
All weather and grass gallops
Excellent hacking
Good grazing
Safe fencing
Set of show jumps
Alarmed tack room
CCTV

Services included in part livery
Feed
Hay
Bedding
( all good quality)

Staff on site all day
Staff living on site

Horses fed
Rug changed
Boots on
Turned out
Mucked out- beds up daily
Bedded down
Day nets filed and in
Night nets filled
Water changed
New bedding in daily
Feeds made up
Catch
Hoof pick
Wash feet
Rug change
PM skip out
Water changed
Put to bed- hay in, feed, skip out, rugs on, water
Last check
Fields poo picked daily

Full is the above plus two exercises, grooming, tack cleaning, trimming and bathing
Horses all bought in for owners to ride

The yard , feed room and surrounding areas are kept immaculately clean,
Arenas are levelled daily, fencing is well maintained, feed room kept clean and tidy as is the tack room
If anything needs fixing there is a handy man to do it.
Fields are topped and rolled.

So , what would you think is a reasonable price as I'm not sure if I'm paying too much!

Thanks,

I would say around £ 130 per week for that service part livery.

I pay £ 102 per week

chaps89

Visit site
I would expect £650 pcm part and £800-850 full for that down here in Surrey, not sure if there's a big difference in prices between Berks and Surrey?

GirlFriday

Visit site
OP I thought you ran a yard? But your post says you are the livery?

I don't recall the OP but it looks like a sneaky advertising thread to me.

Most ppl who feel they might be paying a bit much would have at least one non-glowing thing to say abt their yard and probably wouldn;t' mention that water is changed twice/day etc as it looks more like a check-list than what a livery would remember.

alainax

Visit site
Would depend if it is year round turn out and the hours of turn out for me. For the part round here you would be £430-£460 ish here, but thats scotland so cheaper.

Back with a bang

Visit site
Gosh I can't believe how much people are willing to pay full livery! The going rate near me is 120 per week. I'm lucky mine are at home but it has been nice when I've sent them on schooling livery and someone else does all the jobs!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Dissect it by the day and it is £ 17 per day based on the £ 120 pw you say

that includes:

water
feed
hay/haylage
labour ( mucking out brushing off turning out and in )
facilities
maintenance
common room with tea coffee etc
staff
bedding
riding
more+

I think people see the total amount you pay which seems a lot but when you break it down £ 17 per day is less that you pay a b&b for the night.

SEL

Visit site
I'm in Bucks near m40 so catchment area is London. Full livery from £150 to £250 a week depending on the yard. If it's being run by someone with a bit of a name on the competition circuit then the higher end. Lots of places no longer doing diy because they can fill the yard with weekend riders who are prepared to pay for their horses to be kept Mon - Fri

charlie76

Visit site
It is my yard. Trying to get a feel if my pricing is way out as the local competition are not willing to divulge their prices! Def not a sneaky advert as I'm full with seven on a waiting list so no need to advertise :). I never have had to advertise as decent yards are few and far between round here , those that are good are always full. Things have increased drastically in price as you all know but still want to give value for money but need to make it work.

yhanni

Visit site
I think your pricing sounds very reasonable in comparison to what I pay in the West Midlands. Obviously your liveries think so too!

SO1

Visit site
I think it will depend on where in Berks you are and accessible you are to London.

It does sound very reasonable if it is 7 day part and full especially if you have all weather gallops and every day turnout.

The full particularly sounds very cheap, you are only charging an extra £45 a week for two exercise sessions, daily grooming, tack cleaning and bathing trimming. If the exercise sessions are ridden and the rider is of a decent ability that alone would be worth at least £30 a week. That gives you £2 a day to cover the daily grooming, weekly tack cleaning (presume that is not daily) and the bathing and trimming. I presume with full livery you also are there for farrier, vet and other allied professionals if need be, so that all the owner needs to do is tack up and ride?

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
What's the hacking like.

I pay £120 a week Part Livery, with additional costs if I require my horse to be exercised. Yard has good facilities and routine, excellent hacking, road work, woods, river ride, hills. And can/could easily pop in a horse box and get to Windsor Great Park and other places to ride out if required.

The yard always has some clinic going on and does offer spaces for outsiders to attend, which I think is really nice - meaning, it does try to create a social aspect to the yard with the livery owners.

Have you thought about offering your place up as a top range DIY yard instead? DIY yards are so limited in this area... you could charge above average for a DIY and save yourself money on having to employ grooms to run the livery.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I'd say between £540 and £560 for part livery. It depends what your local clientele can afford. If you're in an area with a large amount if working professionals on upper bracket salaries or commutable distance to London then you could charge more. Your facilities and services sound wonderful but if you can't afford it you can't afford it and would have to go elsewhere.

I'm on DIY yard with no services but have to pay someone Mon-Fri to do my horse and all in all with livery charge, feed, bedding and forage it costs me around £530-£540 a month so comparable to 7 day part-livery prices locally perhaps more expensive but it suits me.

Micropony

Visit site
We're in Hertfordshire inside M25. Similar packages are around the 150/week for a similar part livery package on shavings (straw is cheaper) and 180/week for full. Maybe full is a bit more, not sure. Depending on how far out you are, what your turnout is like, and just how small your indoor is, it does sound like you are offering very good value.

First Flame

Visit site
I'm in Hampshire with similar facilities and for 5 day part livery (I only bring in/muck out on weekends, the yard t/o in the morning and still supply hay/bedding a normal) we pay around £630 so it does sound like your part livery is very good value.

SEL

Visit site
Dissect it by the day and it is £ 17 per day based on the £ 120 pw you say

I think people see the total amount you pay which seems a lot but when you break it down £ 17 per day is less that you pay a b&b for the night.

I pay £12 a day for the cat to go on her holidays! And she doesn't need exercising.....

I tend to think livery is under priced, but as I have 2 on DIY I'm not going to encourage people to raise their prices!