Fuming, how long can sycamore seeds lay dormant?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Utterly beyond fuming. When buying my house there was a lot to do including one very over grown hedge that is was hard to spot what was what in there. We spotted Oak & holly and where ok with that. We asked and I even wrote down her response when asked 'are there any sycamores?' 'Oh no says she, no sycamore'........

Any hoo looks like there is. I checked and checked again all winter to see what the trees were and have seen no seeds, seedlings or leaves so imagine my shock when the nice chappy tackling said hedge uncovered the trees (oh yes more than one) and said cheerfully 'they are sycamores'. Fuming

Have had a good look and can't find and seeds or seedlings or indeed any leaves so it's just now that the leaves are emerging and it's been liberated from 20 foot of gloomy holly surrounding it that it's apparent what they are.

Obviously they are going. But am now worrying about how long the seeds can lay dormant for as now the holly is being thinned any seeds that were under it will be able to get growing :mad3:

Obviously I'll be checking regularly but wondering if it a job of a few years or indefinitely.

Cake for all

PollyP99

Visit site
It would be surprising not to see any seedlings under a true sycamore as they are prolific, perhaps it's acer family but not sycamore, is your man a tree surgeon or general handy man?

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
He's a countryside skills bloke, he does hedge laying, coppiceing, dry stone walling etc so is pretty good with identifying most things. It's def not field maple as had that where I used to live. He did mention a rarer type of maple it could be but pretty sure it's sycamore. Will try and get DSW to post some pics of it later.

I too am very surprised not to see any seedling or seeds but it was well hidden by the holly :mad3:

PollyP99

Visit site
If the holly has 'drowned' it then hopefully it's been less active, either way I know it's a pain but you're aware of it and are going to fell it so you've done everything you can. Feel your pain though, very annoying but I guess lots of people just aren't aware of what they've got, most likely an honest mistake.

kez81

Visit site
Um are you fuming at finding sycamores or that previous owner didnt spot them? If they were well hidden in the hedge she probably either didn't know they were there or doesn't really know what they look like. I would just chop them down and drive a copper nail in to prevent regrowth then monitor for any new saplings. If they are not mature enough to produce seeds yet its possible they grew from blow ins and you won't get any more.

Pebble101

Visit site
I found sycamore seedlings along one hedge of the field I use but we don't have any sycamore trees around that field. Goodness knows where they have blown in from. I pulled up about a feed scoop full over the weekend.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
And breathe......

:biggrin3:

Thanks all. Sadly as much as I'd like to believe it was an over sight the previous owners did so many nasty things (20 sheets of asbestos hidden under fresh grass clippings and hay for starters anyone?) I suspect they knew.

Hopefully DSW will be uploading pics soon as it's very odd. I think as suggested the holly 'drowned' it to an extend and after further looking this eve no seedlings or seeds spotted. It appears a tree had fallen over or been coppiced at some point as there are 6 or 7 long thin not very sycamore looking trees all growing from various bits of the base.

Ho hum.

Fingers crossed it's not seeded in years!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
young trees dont shed that many seedlings-we have just had one out that has never dropped more than a handful for the 15 years we have been here.

its now 30foot approx and shed HUNDREDS this spring.

i am expecting to be pulling seedlings for 4/5 years given its only had one year of dropping a lot and basically none prior to that.

so if you have got it out before maturity you might be lucky!

DaveSkywalker

Visit site
ce09e4c1-14ab-4bba-adf9-50d2a212c814_zpsf1lkxi5f.jpg

9ebca082-91fc-496f-be97-e0d8cd7e2c58_zpskrkfkjxg.jpg

4b7788b8-74e9-4153-8b70-9042637986a5_zpsnnefthf6.jpg

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
As the pics show it's not a normal looking sycamore, each of the 6 or 7 'trunks' are coming off what looks like a previously felled tree. Before the holly was chopped it was only the top 10 or so foot that was showing above it so I think although it is probably quite old it's not been able to mature/seed properly.

It's coming down at the end of the week and will be given a good dose of round-up to ensure it doesn't come back. Grrrr.