Fuming - how would you tell the RI ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
As many of you will know I am still not fully mobile since having my ankle issues - I have only been able to walk without a air cast for the last 3 weeks and I am a long way off getting back on the horses.....

The yougster has been getting a bit of a handful, so decided that she needed to re-start her education to give her something to think about.... cue my riding instructor whom i have got on very well with..... up till today........

They took my little mare - she was only restarted 11 days ago over a trot pole..... problem was there were 2 trot poles together, mare clips the first one.... which rolls the 2nd one as well and she had a bit of a moment..... I shouted - "were there two poles" ? whilst hobbling as fast as I could - yes i was told - I thought she had a good walk to get over them...... now I am one to over react - so bit my lip but the more I have thought about this the more fuming I am getting - she could have broke her leg, she could be put off poles for good, she could have gone off on one and learnt to buck, bronc a rider off.

I have waited all day to hear from the person, hopeing that they would phone to say "sorry I realise it was a bad call" but nothing - all i got was a "I am really impressed with how calm she immediatley she was".

The person is due back at the yard tomorrow - I feel like sitting them down and telling them just how darn stupid what they did was.... but want to know if i am over reacting.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think you are overreacting a bit. If you have any concerns though, voice them to the rider! It's your horse and you have every right to express concerns.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Your horse didn't freak though, didn't have a bad experience so has learnt not to panic if strange things happen round her feet. I don't think I'd be annoyed?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I don't understand - are you saying that your horse has only done one pole on it's own and today someone put two out and your horse tripped and as a result had a "moment"? Sorry, I don't really understand your post.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Sorry GW, I'm not being thick! I'm just not sure I can see where the issue is? Was it that the stride distance was wrong?

If it were my boy, (assuming I've got the right end of the stick) I wouldn't be concerned. He wasn't terribly coordinated but he soon learnt to step over poles.

If you feel there was an issue, just have a quiet word with the RI. I'm sure they wouldn't want to have upset you.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It is a youngsters 2nd time over poles on the ground - two poles were together side by side - not spread out, so as the youngster clipped the first one, it knocked the 2nd one forward for her to step on.... so she has a pole rolling forward and a pole rolling backwards under her front feet and she is trying to work out where it is safe to stand.

Tinypony

Visit site
I'm afraid I agree with the others. What was the problem? Horses are used to tripping over things from time to time. There's no reason why she should be put off trotting poles for life.

weebarney

Visit site
Maybe im being a bit slower than normal but the horse did 2 trotting poles and clipped the first? I dont really know how it would have broke a leg. Im a bit confuddled!

TandD

Visit site
it sounds like your horse was fine? didnt over react? and learnt a lesson to pick up its feet?
i would be pleased if my horse reacted like that, and would have made the rider take the horse over the poles again to re-enforce the message that you pick your feet up!

sidsmum

Visit site
I shouldn't worry - I throw (not literally lol!) all sorts of obstacles at my youngster so he can get used to figuring out where to put his feet. If he wobbles I usually just pat him tell him he's okay but without making a fuss and let him sort himself out.

Charlie77

Visit site
unless you have square poles they will move be it, 1 or 2 poles? i was told never to place at a single pole because they will jump it and not think about it. may be just say wouldn't want any pole work done? id also think about and rules you want in place. can't honestly see that the ri did any thing out of place.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I shouldn't worry - I throw (not literally lol!) all sorts of obstacles at my youngster so he can get used to figuring out where to put his feet. If he wobbles I usually just pat him tell him he's okay but without making a fuss and let him sort himself out.

This... Two poles side by side is hardly a big ask, and unless they're very heavy or square, poles can roll and get in the way - better she experiences it calmly now in my opinion.

be positive

Visit site
It is a youngsters 2nd time over poles on the ground - two poles were together side by side - not spread out, so as the youngster clipped the first one, it knocked the 2nd one forward for her to step on.... so she has a pole rolling forward and a pole rolling backwards under her front feet and she is trying to work out where it is safe to stand.

This is pretty stupid really and could have caused an accident but it did not this time, they will hopefully have learnt by this, although I might question their common sense and experience as a rider to be bringing on youngsters.

touchstone

Visit site
Do you mean that the poles were rolled together rather than spaced with a step or stride in between?

I suspect if a youngster got its foot caught between the poles could potentially panic it and cause injury. I always went from one pole to three as there is the potential for the horse to try to jump two poles anyway.

Seeing as it all ended well anyway I'd let it go this time.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
To be fair I would expect my RI to be able to judge distances competently enough to be able to place trotting poles the correct and safe distance apart, so yes, I would be a bit irked but it really isn't the end of the world. If you're really angry then perhaps tomorrow just say that if she is going to do pole work with youngster in future could she please ensure she gets the distances correct.

Apart form that, like I said, not the end of the world.

charlie76

Visit site
I'm a bit confused. Were the two poles pushed together or spaced out as trot poles?
really you should only use one or three poles as two encourage them to jump them however I don't think it was life threatening!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I'm reading it as RI walking the horse over two rolled together poles, horse stumbles a bit and slightly spooks itself. Nothing else happens. Owner gets irate. Is this correct?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I'm a bit confused. Were the two poles pushed together or spaced out as trot poles?
really you should only use one or three poles as two encourage them to jump them however I don't think it was life threatening!

The two poles were almost touching -they had been put there after someone had jumped yesterday... I did not even know that there were two poles till the horse clipped the 1st one, which rolled the 2nd one, and then one pole was going forward and the other was going backward and the youngster was trying to find somewhere pole free to put her feet down

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I agree - big fuss about nothing.
If a horse was to be frightened about a pole rolling then it is not very brave.

Let them make mistakes early without a rider and then perhaps they will be safer with a rider on.

Natch

Visit site
Your horse will find much sillier things to do with her feet under her own control, no doubt. I'm sure this won't have put her off polework for ever more - it may just teach her to pick her feet up ;)

Chill :)

molly7886

Visit site
Sorry but I really think you're over-reacting. Whilst we all want to minimise unnecessary risks to our horses I don't think your RI was doing anything particularly reckless or stupid. A horse can roll a single pole and they have to learn to sort themselves out.
I'm sure in the morning after you've got over the worry of a wobbly moment you'll be able to put this in perspective in the great scheme of things