FUMING- RSPCA..............

charlie76

Visit site
We were asked by a local council if we would have 3 'abandoned horses' which had been taken from the owners by the RSPCA. We agreed we would have them on livery for 2 weeks and at the end, if they were no reclaimed we would keep them. Well, they arrived- what a mess- emaciated, wormy, sad, lon feet, louse ridden and matted coats and one was 2 days old- they didn't tell us that!
We have fed them, wormed them groomed them, had their feet trimmed, had them living in on ad lib hay and have had the vet to them for a week now, the RSPCA and the council phoned today to ask how much they would owe us and we said it was £75.00 per week for all 3 baring in mind we are tending to them 3 times a day. They said this was too much and they are going to give them back to the owner!
Thats disgiusting! What can we do?

Happytohack

Visit site
Can you get in touch with the ILPH for advice and also the BHS Welfare Department. If the RSPCA do return them, can you tell the ILPH straight away. Did you have photos of them when they arrived. This is just another tale of how useless the RSPCA can be.

LouHardwick

Visit site
thats is TERRIBLE!!!
why on earth would they give them back to such an appalling onwer=

You are not a charity yet have fed wormed and housed these poor animals- keep us updated- there must be something that can be done!! Sending them back to owner is DISGUSTING
ooo.gif
ooo.gif

clipclop

Visit site
What can I say?

The biggest joke going for horses consists of 5 letters

R
S
P
C
A

I know it sounds very harsh but when animals are found in this condition and their isn't a home to take them. Sometimes, just sometimes it would be a whole let less messy if they were just pts.

I know that I won't be popular for that statement but it is how I feel at times.
crazy.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
That is discracful!
I cannot stand the RSPCA whenI had two horses dumped on me I contacted the ILPH, I would not trust the RSPCA as far as I could throw them simply because of sh*tty actions like this. With this post they certainly do not seem to care about the animal welfare, just about how much money they will be spending! It is discusting!

lizzylulu

Visit site
That really is disgusting!

There really is no logic in it, and I am sure you could ask for more really, but aren't!

How would giving them back to the owner be protecting them as stated in the initials RSPCA!

They are just unreal!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What can I say?

The biggest joke going for horses consists of 5 letters

R
S
P
C
A

I know it sounds very harsh but when animals are found in this condition and their isn't a home to take them. Sometimes, just sometimes it would be a whole let less messy if they were just pts.

I know that I won't be popular for that statement but it is how I feel at times.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say I totaly agree with you. It is just horrible and extrealy unfortunate that animals would get into that state because of some **** who didn't want to treat them correctly and the animal who could have gone on and been happy and possible had a career and a loving family had to be put down because of the "owners" actions!
So so unfair!

disco

Visit site
me too.

Do the RSPCA not understand the realistic costs of housing horses!
Our local yard charges £140 per week for full livery per horse!

matthew

Visit site
I do understand what you are saying but at the end of the day money is not endless with these charities!
If it was no animal can ever suffer- and i am sure they are trying there best and often have there hands tied by red tape!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Although I see where BB is coming from, in part agree... Its sad because there are people out there who'd love the chance to take on a horse or two and offer a superb loving home. If it was pts or back to a horrid life with the past owners then it really would be kinder.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do understand what you are saying but at the end of the day money is not endless with these charities!
If it was no animal can ever suffer- and i am sure they are trying there best and often have there hands tied by red tape!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but sending animals back to their owners where they have been neglected and people have spend hard work, time and money into the horses for them to be sent back and treated like that again with nothing in return is just plain wrong no matter what!

Honeypots

Visit site
Why will they not give them to you? If you've spent money on them and they were going to sign them over to you anyway after two weeks can you not take them on and find them new homes? Where abouts are you?

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Plus were they not attempting to raise 1 million pounds the other month to help animals?
Seems they want it to go to their pockets not the animals if you ask me.

gally

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know people that work for the RSPCA and they earn alot more than i do, they seem to have lots of pots of money and are just very tight. Next time you see an RSPCA offical, see if they squeak when they walk

lillie07

Visit site
No chance- we offered one of their ponies a home for life after being in the same situation as OP- they told us they wanted money for it- it was unridable so Mum offered £100 for it and they told her that the meat man had offered more and took him away
frown.gif
frown.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong be isn't there alot of trobules with laws to deal with as well...They can't just take horses rehome them and punish the owners as they please. I think these chairtys should try for more volunteer workers..it is a chairty afteral not a money making business.

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have fed them, wormed them groomed them, had their feet trimmed, had them living in on ad lib hay and have had the vet to them for a week now, the RSPCA and the council phoned today to ask how much they would owe us and we said it was £75.00 per week for all 3 baring in mind we are tending to them 3 times a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

See when I read that bit at first I thought "Blimey, that's cheap"!!

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No chance- we offered one of their ponies a home for life after being in the same situation as OP- they told us they wanted money for it- it was unridable so Mum offered £100 for it and they told her that the meat man had offered more and took him away
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Grrrrrrrrrrr
mad.gif

Honeypots

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!!
mad.gif

MadasaFerret

Visit site
We did something similar!

SSPCA dumped a wormy, lousy over grown in the foot department, mal nourished etc. etc.

Pny on us. we were asked to fetch it from the open hill, it took us several hourse with a LR and trailer to find it, load it and get it back.

As it was a cruelty case, we thought we'd do our bit for nothing and only charge them nominal travel and time, and only charge them for the wormer, foot trim, de-lousing and a bag of food. £60 for 2 days work.

We got a cheque for £20 as they said that's all it was worth, they got a letter in reply asking them if they only pay a third of their electricity bill as that's all the considered it was worth.

They coughed.

The RSPCA are the richest charity apart from the lifeboat. At least the life boat actually go out and save lives and they do it for free, volunteers!

The RSPCA and the SSPCA would be removed from my property using reasonable force these days!

airedale

Visit site
RSPCA spent a damn lot more than that on the 'rights' of a mangy verminous pest aka the fox.

How disgusting

change your allegiance to the ILPH - THEY care about horses !!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Nothing surprises me much about this so called charity and that is why I get angry when I get letters sent to me from the charity asking if I can give just £2 per month blah de blah.... I would rather eat my big toe than give to a charity whose actions are questionable.
The case that the OP brought to the fore is just diabolical. To not offer to pay for the basic care and feed etc ( that does not even include trimming and the vet etc) it certainly must have amounted to more than £75. To say they won't pay that and will give back to the original owner who had let them get in the state they were in, in the first place is just ridiculous. Especially when on their propaganda leaflets you get pushed through the door has stories on them about kittens/puppies being dumped, abused etc.
I'm sure the general public would be up in arms if the original people who committed these acts were gifted the animals after they had been patched up.
Why is it any different to a horse?
A cute and cuddly kitten is no more of a welfare case than a horse. One is simply larger that's all. Less cute, furry and cuddly but still in need of our protection.
It really angers me to be honest and I have much more faith in horse charities like the ILPH and I have been a regular follower ( and have bought gifts/adoptions etc) of the Bransby Home of Rest for horses who do a fantastic job.
The story about the pony who the RSPCA said they would get more money from the meat wagon sickens me to the core.
How the fck could they condone actions like that especially when someone was offering it a kind, loving home and not a bolt through the head or worse and ending up as pet food.....
The mind boggles along with everything else and I can't really put into words how I feel after reading that.
Very angry is one and the rest is unpublishable !
mad.gif

Caroline

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ok, going to tell you a little story.

Something very similar happened near here - with a rescue pony called Taggert. Now I can't remember the whole story - but essentially he was taken to The Society for the Welfare of Horses & Ponies after being rescued by the RSPCA from appalling conditions. For a reason that I am not clear about the RSPCA then decided that the pony could be returned to it's owner. It is no exaggeration to say that this pony was in the most appalling condition, and how a decision could be made to return it is quite unfathomable.

However the SWHP launched a massive 'save Taggert' campaign - and I believe even went so far as to move him to other premises where he could not be found until the outcome of the court case was known. The whole thing became part of a very letigious court case - but the SWHP won the right not to have the pony returned.

So I guess my message to you is - make a huge song and dance about it. Contact your local paper as it is story of interest. Refuse permission for the RSPCA to enter your premises without a court order and fight for them not to be returned.

It is disgraceful!!

P.S I believe you have the right to keep the animals until their livery bill is settled.......

perdiross

Visit site
Yes I fully agree the RSPCA, are a total waste of time, contact the BHS and stick it in the paper if they give the horses back to them horrible owners again......Think its a Joke but then again the RSPCA is.........

Tilly16

Talan

Visit site
Yep, go to the press. The RSPCA are a rich charity that spends hug percentages of their income on admin and PR. I know our local vet stopped doing work for them because of similar problems with charging realistic, reduced fees.

the watcher

Visit site
I do not think your quote of £75 is unreasonable, in fact I think it is cheap and if you can gat a couple of quotes from surrounding yards they might see it in the same way too.

As for the RSPCA returning the horses to the owners, that is a different matter. To remove the horses they either have to be signed over voluntarily or the RSPCA have to prove cruelty and poor condition, in order to do this they have to have a vet on side. I have done a number of (successful) prosecutions with the RSPCA and I know just how hard it is for them to find a vet who is willing to give evidence on their behalf. Vets are reluctant for many reasons, it isn't profitable work, they may have connections with the owners or be intimidated, they may have issues with the principles of the RSPCA on matters like hunting.

Whatever the reason, the upshot is that the RSPCA are obliged to return the animals if they are not going to proceed. That is the law we all have to work with.