Fuming........

L&M

Visit site
We are lucky enough to live by a mid wales cycle path that runs along the length of the Montgomeryshire canal network, but like everywhere else in the country, this network of paths have been a lot busier than normal. These paths are quite narrow, approx 5ft, but do have a verge on one side you can get onto if there are any bottlenecks.

This evening I was walking my 3 dogs, all on leads and saw a lycra clad young lady running at fast speed down the path towards me - I gathered my dogs to me and as she passed noticed there were 2 children ahead on the path walking a poodle. She made no attempt to slow down so I shouted out to warn the children and fortunately they managed to jump out of the way.

I carried on my merry way, with the path ahead clear, only for the same jogger only to sprint up behind me with no warning - my whippet who is easily spooked lunged into the path and nearly tripped her over. She momentarily stopped and I apologised for nearly causing her to fall and my dog lunging at her, but asked her to not run at such speed on a public path, especially when running up behind people with children or dogs - her response was that she was 'running a race'. I replied that a 'race' should not be run on a public footpath, and certainly not without notification, ( though not sure who she was racing against as there were no other runners on the path? Maybe some sort of 'virtual' event?!)

Anyhow I don't know her from adam and doubt very much there will be repercussions but just wished she had called out and given me a chance to pull the dogs over onto the side of the path. She looked a little tearful but that could have just been her looking hot and sweaty from her exertions, but do feel a bit bad as my whippet was naughty to lunge at her. However equally if I had some warning I would have ensured he was off the path, so we were both at fault.

Sadly just another example of too many people trying to share the same outdoor space due alternative facilities still shut due to covid......just hope things get easier soon.

Sorry but just needed a rant......

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I had a bit of a hairy one yesterday with a massive Rottweiler turning itself inside out on a lead trying to get to my dog (carrying a stick, minding his own business, not even looking at him) think airs above the ground, screaming, owner whacking him with a stick ? thankfully on a wide path.

On the return leg to home I have to go down a very narrow fenced trail only about 1.5m wide, if that, so I dreaded to think what might happen there as owner could barely hold him so I asked a couple of other walkers if they'd seen it. Thankfully we missed one another as it would have been a pretty long detour home.

I don't know why she thought trying to run against the clock on a busy public path was a good plan, folk aren't psychic.

L&M

Visit site
I had a bit of a hairy one yesterday with a massive Rottweiler turning itself inside out on a lead trying to get to my dog (carrying a stick, minding his own business, not even looking at him) think airs above the ground, screaming, owner whacking him with a stick ? thankfully on a wide path.

On the return leg to home I have to go down a very narrow fenced trail only about 1.5m wide, if that, so I dreaded to think what might happen there as owner could barely hold him so I asked a couple of other walkers if they'd seen it. Thankfully we missed one another as it would have been a pretty long detour home.

I don't know why she thought trying to run against the clock on a busy public path was a good plan, folk aren't psychic.

Gosh that sounds scary - think I would take a manic jogger over that situation any day. Glad you both survived.

BBP

Visit site
I don’t think running fast is a problem, it’s the single mindedness of not being prepared to slow down or call out. If I’m out for a run and want to go fast i will, but I certainly wouldn’t be racing past dogs or expecting other people to dive out of my way. I think you are likely right and that it will have been a virtual race, hence being less willing to slow down, but in a public space you just can’t have that ‘all about me’ attitude.

Cloball

Visit site
I used to run competitively and it was drilled into me how to share a busy track (my like sharing a school and passing other riders), you don't just run up behind people, you let them know you're there at the very least. On a public space with dogs to control I would be giving you plenty of space.

Cahill

Visit site
as someone who runs,dog walks and also runs with my dogs,i can see both sides of this.
i always shout ahead `coming through` and prepare to slow down if not heard.
the worst thing is people ambling along oblivious to everything,on a fone with a flexi lead.

yes,racing/timing yourself is a thing but most sports watches have a pause function and i use this for crossing busy roads,passing groups and when other people cant control their own dogs.

i also think all bikes should have a bell.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I've experienced similar too, totally single minded runners.
Was always drilled into me that the countryside code was that you always passed others at walking speed, whether on a horse, bike or on foot. I understand if you're training then you don't want to stop/slow down but in that case you need to choose somewhere a little quieter with wide paths.

stevieg

Visit site
I have the same problem with cyclists when I walk along the canal tow path. They always assume that I will be the one to jump out of the way dragging my dogs with me.
One clipped one of my dogs a couple of weeks ago and it took a lot of willpower not to kick him & his bike into the canal. It wouldn't have taken much such was the tiny gap he squeezed through without slowing down.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
i also think all bikes should have a bell.

I enthusiastically thank cyclists who use a bell. It was pretty chaotic in the summer.

There is actually a sign at the path head which says 'path not suitable for cyclists', which is roundly ignored.

My dogs will do a static position (sit/down/wait) on or off leash/know 'get up' means to get off the main path or onto a verge, but as my old trainer used to say, 'I don't have eyes on my arse'....

Cloball

Visit site
Oh I'd be horrified if I hit a dog! Mind you I'm the cyclist that gets mown down by other cyclists when I've stopped for a dog.
I was once cycling along a canal path and rang my bell and slowed down so the man in front had plenty of time to move over and it's a good job I rang so earlier and slowed down as he flung his walking stick violently out to the side at head height. If I hadn't of slowed down I'd have been in the canal with a possible head injury!

GreyMane

Visit site
We had 3 awful years of being wrongfully chased by an injury claims company.
You literally cannot be too careful; if in doubt, get your camera phone out.
There is no legal aid for personal injury cases any more, plus due to Covid there is a massive backlog of court cases.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Gosh that sounds scary - think I would take a manic jogger over that situation any day. Glad you both survived.

Have met this dog several times since, other people tell me he is lovely with their small dogs, but having had to pass him on a narrow bridge the other day, I don't think I am going to risk it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I run also and the one thing that gets my goat is other runners that run up behind people and get annoyed when the person doesn’t move. You have eyes in the front of your head not the back so if you are behind someone use your common sense and assume they can’t see you.

I’ve been lunged at by dogs despite the owners having plenty of time to see me as running towards them (I’m not a sprinter by any means lol) and just not shorten the leash or attempt to assert some control. Needless to say the owners have had an earful. I would never run up behind someone with dogs though as I’d deserve all I got.

paisley

Visit site
And when you live in the Surrey Hills- I have not yet met one cyclist prepared to share the space, including using footpaths at full speed.

I'm asking for 3-5 seconds to put my dog on a lead, to avoid whippet/cycle melange, but nope.

Would also really, really, like any cyclist and runner wanting to say 'thank you' to do it 2 metres away at least. I've resigned myself to turning my back as they pass, not worth the rage from me.

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
And when you live in the Surrey Hills- I have not yet met one cyclist prepared to share the space, including using footpaths at full speed.

I'm asking for 3-5 seconds to put my dog on a lead, to avoid whippet/cycle melange, but nope.

Would also really, really, like any cyclist and runner wanting to say 'thank you' to do it 2 metres away at least. I've resigned myself to turning my back as they pass, not worth the rage from me.

And as a runner I call out "coming past" while a few meters away. I then watch as dog walkers turn, see me, turn back, wander for a while longer, then, as I'm falling over the dog (having cut down my pace to a slow lope, and I am not a fast runner), speak to the dog knowing they have no influence over said dog. Then bitch when i dont thank them, for allowing me to trip over their completely out of control dog?. I call out a positive thank you to people who are in control of their dogs, as I'm increasingly aware how rare that is

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
. I call out a positive thank you to people who are in control of their dogs, as I'm increasingly aware how rare that is

Wheras I do a very loud, sarcastic YOU'RE WELCOME to people who don't keep their dogs under control, cyclists who don't use bells then curse at me on their way past, people who don't thank me for getting out of their way and putting my dog in a sit or down, couples who can't bear to spend a couple of seconds apart in single file while I dive into the hedge, etc etc etc....

Visit site
Wheras I do a very loud, sarcastic YOU'RE WELCOME to people who don't keep their dogs under control, cyclists who don't use bells then curse at me on their way past, people who don't thank me for getting out of their way and putting my dog in a sit or down, couples who can't bear to spend a couple of seconds apart in single file while I dive into the hedge, etc etc etc....
Me too, but I change between Thankyou and You’re Welcome. I’m quite happy to stand my ground and have a ruck if necessary

I have also shouted ‘STOP’ at people when they are approaching and i haven’t yet caught my dogs, one is over friendly which a appreciate people don’t always like and the other is timid and I’d rather strangers don’t touch him. If the first stop hasn’t work I will also shout ‘I mean you, Stop’ I have had some funny looks and a couple of rows but I don’t mind. I’m happy to do what my dogs need

minesadouble

Visit site
Me too, but I change between Thankyou and You’re Welcome. I’m quite happy to stand my ground and have a ruck if necessary

I have also shouted ‘STOP’ at people when they are approaching and i haven’t yet caught my dogs, one is over friendly which a appreciate people don’t always like and the other is timid and I’d rather strangers don’t touch him. If the first stop hasn’t work I will also shout ‘I mean you, Stop’ I have had some funny looks and a couple of rows but I don’t mind. I’m happy to do what my dogs need

Hmm now I almost feel like your asking for an argument with this approach. Expecting others to stop whatever legitimate pastime they are indulging in, in a shared public place doesn't quite sit easily with me.

Visit site
Hmm now I almost feel like your asking for an argument with this approach. Expecting others to stop whatever legitimate pastime they are indulging in, in a shared public place doesn't quite sit easily with me.

I don’t actually care, my dogs come first and no idiot is going to upset them, especially the timid boy who total muppets attempt to touch when he is cowering away.

minesadouble

Visit site
I just think we all need to be tolerant of others in shared public spaces, especially at the moment.
I walk my dog off lead in public spaces but I only do so confident in the knowledge that 3 short pips of the whistle will bring him back to my heel quicker than Mo Farah on a good day.

paddy555

Visit site

I hate to say it but I think it is perhaps up to you to make sure your dogs are on leads. There is no reason for people to have to stop and wait whilst you catch your dogs.

ETA just as a matter of curiosity what are you going to do to them if they refuse to stop?

Visit site
Mine are only ever let off of no one is around, the timid one only ever tries to hide if he sees someone and I don’t re attach him quick enough. If they don’t stop and allow me to get him they get a sarcastic ‘THANKYOU’ as I said before

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
My bitches are my responsibility, but I will readily admit that I'm not a perfect, faultless robot. I do my best, but I'm human, sometimes I make a mess out of things, and if I make a mess out of things, it's not easy for my bitches to do things right.
It certainly haven't happened often, but it has happened.

Add to that my bitches isn't perfect, faultless robots either, they have a mind of their own. 99,8% of the time I still manage to solve the situations, somehow, but I admit, it has happened that things has just gone splat like a pancake.

Can't recall I've told anyone to Stop walking past us, but I presume that at some point during my years of dog owning I've asked someone to Please, could you wait a moment.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think anyone should be waiting for you to catch your dogs. The recall should be pretty instant, they should be pretty close already and if you can’t manage that they should be on a lead. Nobody seems to have any consideration or be able to foresee trouble anymore. One of my dogs is nervous. I can’t trust her that she won’t leg it into the distance if she’s spooked. I wouldn’t put the blame on someone else when it’s my Job to keep her safe.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I just think we all need to be tolerant of others in shared public spaces, especially at the moment.
I walk my dog off lead in public spaces but I only do so confident in the knowledge that 3 short pips of the whistle will bring him back to my heel quicker than Mo Farah on a good day.

This all day long.

paisley

Visit site
And as a runner I call out "coming past" while a few meters away. I then watch as dog walkers turn, see me, turn back, wander for a while longer, then, as I'm falling over the dog (having cut down my pace to a slow lope, and I am not a fast runner), speak to the dog knowing they have no influence over said dog. Then bitch when i dont thank them, for allowing me to trip over their completely out of control dog?. I call out a positive thank you to people who are in control of their dogs, as I'm increasingly aware how rare that is

Probably the same sort of eejits with their off lead dog that having seen my on lead dog for about 5 minutes, wait for theirs to get up to speed towards me with hackles up to then tell me "he's friendly!" ?
Always aporeciate a thank you, in the same way I hope others appreciate my dog being out of their way as soon as I can. Its just a bit safer if this isnt shouted this directly at me as you pass , aerosols and all that.
Have stopped yelling "wait there, stupid!", at the dog if I can't get him in time. Rather misinterpreted by too many people ?