Fun Ideas to Exercise a Mini with Limited Facilities!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
The pony: dinky (9hh ish) 12 yr old mini spotted pony called Domino, EMS and on very restricted and carefully managed diet, been in sort of 'foot rehab' until recently but everything looking great now. Have posted about him on here a bit before. Can find ribs but you'd never guess that by looking at him. Exercise go-ahead given by farrier and vet. He is forward-going but unfit, loves to trot and will also do a very sweet jog next to me if I walk fast which I assume is a good calorie burner. He has mini Cavallo boots and pads for the roadwork and seems extremely comfortable and happy in them.

The task: to exercise Domino with limited facilities and time. We've been going for some in-hand walks and trots, but there is only one bridleway nearby and we have to go on the road to get there. The same route is getting very dull although he is like a small bomb when we get on the grass tracks and tries to tank off, another challenge!

The facilities: almost none! We have a rather muddy paddock I can use essentially. It is wet but I don't think particularly slippery.

The equipment: not a lot! I have a lunge lines/long reins but no roller small enough for him. I have fence posts I can use as poles and random items I can use to make jumps, obstacles etc. as he is kept at family home and I work here weekdays, so can exercise him in my lunchtime. No lunge whip.

Any ideas to get him working would be much appreciated... I am not inclined to lunge him much on an uneven, muddy field but could mix things up a bit. Maybe do something loose and put a few teeny jumps for him to try? Anything to make it fun or at least interesting for us both!

Last edited:

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
My daughter taught our shettie to play football ! Not joking !
She origionally wanted to teach him to push a barrel with his chest after seeing it done in a demo . She started off by laying a big barrel sideways on the floor ( too big for pony to jump over ) , pony was on one side , in headcollar , up close to the barrel , with her on the other side , holding the lead rope and a bit of carrot , encouraging him to stretch until he pushed against the barrel and rolled it . She built this up until he would push the barrel loose , on his own , on command ( " Roll it ! " ) down the side of the paddock . One day she decided to try it with a big yoga ball which proved to be much more fun ! When given the command to " Roll it " the pony obligingly shoved it with his chest and the ball , being round ( obvs ! ) and much lighter , rolled merrily off across the paddock . The pony stared at it in surprise for a moment and then set off in hot pursuit . When he caught up with it he gave it another shove and proceeded to bang it all around the field with great enthusiasm . We all used to join in and he used to race round like a dog . You had to watch him though if you both went for the ball at the same time - he was a proper dirty tackler !

Last edited:
Visit site
Like thefarsideofthefield said, football with a big yoga ball/jolly ball would be fun! Also teaching him to pop a few little jumps either free or in-hand could be nice. You could also try teaching him some basic liberty- following you round in w/t and maybe if you run, canter! Teaching him how to weave through obstacles etc. would also be fun.
Hope this helped and I agree on the need of photos!!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks for the ideas so far! Love the football idea and I had sort of considered it... I tried a yoga ball with our others once and it was popped within about 3 seconds, but of course I could invest in one designed for the purpose. I did lunge him briefly today to see how it would go and he bombed around like a mad thing for a time... I can't say it was hugely successful but he did get exercised! Also tried a few poles and teeny jumps but that's definitely not his 'thing'. I can't say I'm really into lunging (nor is he, haha) but thought it would be handy to know what he thinks of it at least.

Underneath the fluff he's actually quite a smart mini British Spotted Pony and I think his full brother is quite successful at in-hand showing, although being mini and spotted that's a bit of a niche field. My parents bought him for my little nieces who since emigrated, doh, and so he has no job and is just a rather high-maintenance pet!

IMG_2652.JPGEA39AFF5-30FF-47AC-9B74-37DAAF20126F.JPGIMG_2809.jpg

Nicnac

Visit site
Mine hacks out with us, we do handy pony types things (I do have a school) and I'm taking her to an Inhand TREC clinic this weekend. She'll love it!

Now off to find her a yoga balls after reading TFSotF's post!