Fungal skin infection/rain scald

no_no_nanette

Visit site
My little TB brood mare has what looks to me like rain scald or a similar fungal skin infection, having researched it on the internet. I've never had a horse with this before - she came back to me in January after having been loaned out as a brood mare, and she had dropped a lot of weight and had several small scabs on her sides which I didn't take much notice of at the time. I was very focused on building her condition and her weight, and the scabs didn't seem to get any worse or increase.

But with hindsight I may well have over-rugged her in the last couple of weeks, as I've noticed that the number of small scabs have increased in the last few days, which may be because she was sweating under a too-heavy rug. I've done the Malaseb treatment, and will continue to shampoo her with this every few days, and will also speak to the vet. But I've read that once having had this they are much more prone to it in the future which I'm a bit fed up about! I'd be really interested to hear of other people's experience in treating this and whether you found that it did recur? Any advice about building her immune system to combat a return would be welcome.

be positive

Visit site
I have found it does not tend to reoccur, possibly due to being more aware of it in future years a bit like mud fever prevention is better than cure and the ones that may be prone to it get scrutinised daily and any signs get treated immediately, one of mine had it 2012/2013 going into the winter, this year I was more careful to ensure it didn't happen again and he has remained clear despite being out well rugged the whole time.
Once it has taken hold it can be tricky to get rid of, especially if they are a bit low generally, I am cautious about too much washing as it removes the much needed oils but have found using gold label wonder gel clears it up once you have given the initial bath, although at this time of year washing is not so bad, it should clear with her coat change and having time without a rug should help.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty had a jab to boost his immune system ( he had been very ill ) I can't remember what it was called .
It did seem to help him have fewer skin infections which we had a real problem controlling .
Also getting him unrugged in the sun at every opportunity that helped .

maccachic

Visit site
I have found both mud fever and rain scald occur in horses with lower immune systems every case I have fixed and never had come back but feeding a correctly balanced diet.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yes feed minerals and micronised linseed all year round in a bit of non mol s beet, for condition up to 225gms linseed tho 25gms in summer is normal add 25gms salt
Buy an Amigo lite it is really super for TB type
sry for strange punctuatiomas spacebar has died

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I bought a horse with it. It can reoccur but you can cure them too.

I found clipping out and washing with hexocil and pevadine sorted mine out. If her skin got greasy it would reoccur, so a once monthly wash to prevent it did the trick. Once she hadn't had it for three years, she never had it again despite not being washed etc, and she is 20 now. It's something to do with the bacteria being trapped in the skin but once the skin has renewed over several years with no breakouts, you get rid of it (not a scientific explanation but I've found it to be the case with mud fever as well in one I bought).

JacqulineSmith

New User
Visit site
You can apply manuka honey for skin infections. It can be applied to the skin as a balm for skin infections, bites and cuts. It can be consumed orally. Manuka Honey is one of the most famous honeys in the world. It is delicious with high antioxidant properties and well known,for its anti bacterial healing powers. To know more you can visit http://www.comvita.com/key-ingredients/manuka-honey/us100008 online.

Last edited:

maccachic

Visit site
Yes feed minerals and micronised linseed all year round in a bit of non mol s beet, for condition up to 225gms linseed tho 25gms in summer is normal add 25gms salt
Buy an Amigo lite it is really super for TB type
sry for strange punctuatiomas spacebar has died

Have you done an as fed analysis (in my experience not all minerals are complete as they claim) and if the horse has been on these for a while with no results Id be going back to the drawing board. Health comes from the inside so something is missing / in excess/ unbalanced. Common culprits I find are copper, sulphur, iodine or excess potassium but don't limit your search to just these.

KrujaaLass

Visit site
Our pony had this last year due to over tugging so this winter we left rug off and she had it again. When weather was warm enough we also used nizarol shampoo. Seems to have worked. She was really scurffy with bald patches and hair was coming out in clumps. Now new hair is growing and she looks so much better

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. When she came back to me she was in poor condition and I would guess had a fairly compromised immune system, so I'm certainly taking a look at possible supplements/dietary options for the "inside out" approach. Interestingly the soils in our area are supposed to be deficient in selenium and copper; I don't know if this would make any difference... I'll also look into Nizoral shampoo. At the moment I have an incredibly expensive bottle of Malaseb from the vets but it would be great if I could find a lower cost alternative.