Funniest horse related injury

equestriansports

Visit site
Last night I was lunging the pony and decided I'd pop a small jump up. Went over to pick the pole up..it rolled out of my*hands and onto my foot. Keep in mind these are solid wooden poles. Queue lots of swearing and a trip to minor injuries. I'm fine, no broken bones. However, I'm sporting a lovely blue foot with purple toes. Think Sully from Monsters Inc on my foot. What was pony doing in all of this? Eating grass. You read about all these people who's ponies help them back to the stable - not mine. Nope, grass is far more important ;) anybody else got any funny stories to make me feel like less of an idiot.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
^ Same, but through my own stupidity, offering the horse a carrot with an outstretched finger within reach, so of course he took the finger and crunched down. Holy heck, that hurt like a demon! My own stupid fault.

Another time, I was catching in, I hadn't got the horse completely through the gate and tried to close it, he spooked, leapt straight up and came down on my foot. I don't know if I screamed or if if I was too shocked. 17.2hh of horse landing full force should have done some damage, but there wasn't a mark on me!

Cobbytype

Visit site
I had the most polite horse in the stable - I could just place my index finger gently on his chest and he'd move politely over, never offering to barge. Except for one day when he barged right past me as I was entering the stable. We both got wedged in the doorway, but he just kept shoving and pushing past me and my ribs got squished against the door frame. I was both winded and bewildered - horse was unapologetic and happily scoffing grass, whilst I was trying to take a breath:)

millikins

Visit site
Not so much the injury, (very nasty kick to the knee) but the fact my boss said that in nearly 40 years, she'd never had the chance to put "kicked by a pony" on a return to work form :)

AmieeT

Visit site
Not directly horse related...

I pulled the stable door across to block the window as the sun was in my eyes when I was pulling Red's mane. Went running out of the stable to speak to YO before he went and smacked straight into said door. Right on the bridge of my nose! Saw stars for a good 3 hours and had a nosebleed like somebody had turned on a tap. Broke it!

Jo1987

Visit site
Similar to cinnamontoast - my usually very polite boy mistook my thumb for a carrot once, and proceeded to try and 'snap' it in half, like he would with a carrot, with me howling at him.
He did look a little sheepish when he realised his mistake, but I think he was more annoyed that there was no carrot on offer!

StormyMoments

Visit site
Received a black eye when stretching Rio's legs forward. I had been teaching him to lift his legs when I touch them but he sometimes fixates on one leg and will pick it up all the time when I am touching the other. Anyway, I touched one to pick up and he was fine, bent down to do the other and he picked the other up again, caught me off guard and kneed me in the eye...

Illusion100

Visit site
Climbed over a gate with a bucket of feed, jumped off gate, slipped on take off, bucket got caught on top of gate and voila, dislocated shoulder!

Was stretching out a horses forelimbs (so standing directly in front and facing horse) and it was spooked so it shot forward putting the full weight through its foot onto my knee causing it to feel it had been snapped to bend in the most unnatural fashion, all I had was a limp for a while so lucky on that one.

Not an injury but I found this hysterical and still giggle about it. During a lameness work up the owner insisted on flexing the limb as it was a tricky stallion and us Gals couldn't be put in harms way. I was at the head to trot him up and vet waiting to assess the lameness. 3-2-1 Go! As the owner let go of the leg a nail in the foot must have snagged on his trousers as they ended up around his ankles and he was standing there in his y-fronts! I have never seen a man go a deeper shade of red!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Not funny, but very stupid

1. Was doing a bit of mucking out before going home one evening at the beginning of this year! Climbed on to the muck trailer, emptied buckets, on the way back down, I stepped on to the step and then on to the floor! first foot landed fine, second foot came down and off I went, expect my first foot wasn't playing! it stayed put, I fell over, ankle went CRACK, shooting pain went up my leg, and I sat there crying, calling to another livery to help me!

I refused to go to hospital as I had my old school aigle wellies on and I didn't want to have them cut off (they don't make them like they used to)

Today, I have put my wellies back on for the first time since the incident and it was the first time that I could actually angle my foot enough to get them on! I've never felt pain like it! Doc said that I'd damaged the ligament, I now have a cankale, where the puffiness has not gone!

2. then about 6 weeks ago, I was having a little canter by the river, horse flies were out in horse! my horse put his head down because he was being bitten (I think), and in slow motion I came off over his head! landed on my left said! some how hurt my left tumb! and the pain is getting worse, I appear to be developing a hard lump, so I think a trip to the docs is in order again! also damaged my left knee too and my whole leg was covered in massive bruises!

so in the last 6 months my whole left side had taken a little bit of a battering!

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Not an injury but I found this hysterical and still giggle about it. During a lameness work up the owner insisted on flexing the limb as it was a tricky stallion and us Gals couldn't be put in harms way. I was at the head to trot him up and vet waiting to assess the lameness. 3-2-1 Go! As the owner let go of the leg a nail in the foot must have snagged on his trousers as they ended up around his ankles and he was standing there in his y-fronts! I have never seen a man go a deeper shade of red!

^^ ;) ;)

I've done many stupid things over the years, however probably the most ridiculous was when I was walking back from the barn having filled two large haynets - one over each shoulder. The nets were so big that they nearly touched the floor behind me - fine, except I was wearing those spurs with the ball on the end...... Managed to hobble myself, legs knitted & I nosedived! Sadly I didn't let go of the nets in order to save myself & I managed to knock myself clean out!! Have never lived that one down...... :D

WandaMare

Visit site
Not specifically horse related but while poo picking in the field recently I noticed a bramble which had one end rooted in the ground and the other end had also grown down into the ground creating a thick loop thing which I thought my horse might get caught up in. I went to pull the non-root end out and it was held in really firmly, so I put all my weight behind it, and eventually it came out sending me flying backwards and onto my bum. The worst thing was that as it flew out it whipped my eye and the top of my cheekbone which immediately swelled into a massive lump on my face! I had just started a new contract in quite a posh office and had to go into work the next day with a very swollen and black eye....how ridiculous to have a weed injury :)

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Coming back from a ride, dismounted pulled up stirrups leading through barn door she clonked the saddle against the door. She then bolting into her stable dragging me with her I felt like I was going to get mowed down, until we got to the stable door we both squeezed through the stable door at the same time I actually thought my nipple had been taken off as I looked for signs of blood in my bra LOL thankfully not, but one less than ample boob was well bruised ! we now take the saddle off as to not repeat this one :)

WetandMuddy

Visit site
Trying to do girth up with very cold, wet hands, last winter, when the strap slipped out of my hand and I hit myself in the face and gave myself a black eye!! :)

Ella19

Visit site
Hit myself in the face when pulling a mane.

Whacked myself numerous times throwing rugs on and the sircingles smack you.

We have muck trailers and yard owner sometimes doesn't reverse very well, I've lost count of the times I've lost a leg down the gap and been left stranded doing the splits and calling for help. It's too high to reach the floor and impossible to get out of on your own!!

flirtygerty

Visit site
I had the most polite horse in the stable - I could just place my index finger gently on his chest and he'd move politely over, never offering to barge. Except for one day when he barged right past me as I was entering the stable. We both got wedged in the doorway, but he just kept shoving and pushing past me and my ribs got squished against the door frame. I was both winded and bewildered - horse was unapologetic and happily scoffing grass, whilst I was trying to take a breath:)

This happened to my OH twice, with our CBxTB mare, big lassie she was, both times resulting in broken ribs fo OH, the funny injury (to his pride) was when he fell off my trotter X, walking round a field with our young rider, both mounted, a pheasnant flew up under my lads nose, closely followed by another, with no reaction until a third bird joined the party, then my lad decided to spin around, leaving OH on the ground and my lad wondering why, 6 yrs later, OH is still the only one to fall off my horse