Funny Hi Viz jackets......

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Some really great vests around, such as : Caution asbo horse..Caution Moody Mare..... Caution Mind my Ass...... Caution horse in training.... Caution Giddy Gelding.

Now I think these are cute and funny, but if you were involved in an accident on the road, are you openly admitting your horse isn't safe??

Lotty

Visit site
I think you may be.

Mine doesn't have caution - mine says "Does my bum look big on this"

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Put a 'L plate' on. It does seem to have an effect and it does warn others that you are learning (even if you're not) so they should be aware, same as for learner drivers, to give you leeway.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I was told this at olympia last year. Went to the V-Bandz stand asking for one that said caution horse in training, or something to that effect, and they told me they dont stock them. Apprantly if an accident occured, you would be more liable if it was picked up on.

Same as if someone breaks into your house, you have warning gaurd dogs signs up, the dog bites them, and they can sue!

Also got told the same when we had people breaking into the yard, we wanted to put up signs with warning horses are dangerous, but the police advised us not to, crazy really!!

bexcy-bee

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Silly isn't it?
A good few years back now my mum rode a 5 y/o cob (she hadn't ridden for 20+ years!) so she could get back into it and hack with me and Kellys owner. He was a bit of a swine to say the least, and hated cars coming up behind him - to the point he would back up and plonk his bum down on the bonnet (we got him out of this eventually).
The cobs owner had a hi-viz jacket saying "if you like your car the shape it is, stay back!" It worked! :D
Couldn't wear that now :(

I've seen "caution; rider with pmt" "Caution: I'm wide and he's slow!"
K x

assuan

Visit site
I called my insurance company about the whole hi-viz writing debate, they basically said it makes no difference to them at all what you have written on your hi-viz, they couldn't care less. That's KBIS, others may differ of course.

Going to do a search later (if I get the time) and see what legal cases there are on the matter and find out what precedent has been set, if any.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I called my insurance company about the whole hi-viz writing debate, they basically said it makes no difference to them at all what you have written on your hi-viz, they couldn't care less. That's KBIS, others may differ of course.

Going to do a search later (if I get the time) and see what legal cases there are on the matter and find out what precedent has been set, if any.
Please do, would be interesting!!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Silly isn't it?
A good few years back now my mum rode a 5 y/o cob (she hadn't ridden for 20+ years!) so she could get back into it and hack with me and Kellys owner. He was a bit of a swine to say the least, and hated cars coming up behind him - to the point he would back up and plonk his bum down on the bonnet (we got him out of this eventually).
The cobs owner had a hi-viz jacket saying "if you like your car the shape it is, stay back!" It worked! :D
Couldn't wear that now :(

I've seen "caution; rider with pmt" "Caution: I'm wide and he's slow!"
K x[/QUOTE

HAHA... i wonder if you had lots of small writing on it, if they would slow to read it!

kal40

Visit site
I bought the polite one and cant wait to get out in it. Flipping NE weather is putting a dampner on it though.

Maybe Equisafety should widen their range and make jackets too.

vicksey

Visit site
Interesting, I have just emailed my Insurance company too to see what they say, will let you know!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My dad is a lawyer and he has been involved with many cases involving burglaries with warning gaurd dogs or enter at own risk etc and basically the dogs bite and the owners get sued even though they are being broken into.

It is the same for hi viz wording. Caution young horse/please pass wide and slow etc can be used by other lawyers (insurance companies may not have any set rules) to basically say you were aware your horse is a risk. As far as my dad says to me i am not allowed to have any wording on them as they can use anything if they try!
I personally like the commedy ones, but wont even risk that i just have a plain boring bib. I like the L plate idea although not sure if you could then be seen as maybe you shouldnt be on the roads as you are only learning?? In this world there is always a claim! :p

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
My dad is a lawyer and he has been involved with many cases involving burglaries with warning gaurd dogs or enter at own risk etc and basically the dogs bite and the owners get sued even though they are being broken into.

It is the same for hi viz wording. Caution young horse/please pass wide and slow etc can be used by other lawyers (insurance companies may not have any set rules) to basically say you were aware your horse is a risk. As far as my dad says to me i am not allowed to have any wording on them as they can use anything if they try!
I personally like the commedy ones, but wont even risk that i just have a plain boring bib. I like the L plate idea although not sure if you could then be seen as maybe you shouldnt be on the roads as you are only learning?? In this world there is always a claim! :p

Thanks for that Dizzy, thats that then lol xx

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I have 'horses don't dent they die' on the back of mine and I found people do slow down!!!

Good idea, surely you aren't admitting an awareness of your animal being a risk in any way then????? Can't have anything nowadays can you!!
Where we used to run the training club we weren't allowed to put signs up saying "dogs training; enter at own risk" on the gate of the field (we rented the field every Sunday) to stop people wandering on as we'd be admitting liability for any accidents :mad:
K x

Lydz13

Visit site

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is akin to a rapist saying well guv she had a short skirt on so she was obviously advertising herself... It's words. Just words, nothing more nothing less. A motorist can choose to heed the warning, or they can ignore it. If a horse is unsafe to be on the road, then that's liable however words on a vest don't cause people to drive dangerously....

It would be ridiculous to sue someone for wearing a t shirt that was offensive, I don't see how people can say OBVIOUSLY the horse caused the problem, she had a vest on that said please pass wide and slow....

Some things are too ridiculous for words! It really winds me up!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
lydz13 i totally agree with you it is stupid. But it is the world we live in now. I think some of the words are obviously ok but if you have the words caution/warning etc then you will be seen as being liable. And unlike with rapists where it is just words, these are actually written down and can be photographed etc.
I do agree it really annoys me aswell!

Lydz13

Visit site
It's just so bliimin nit picky! I've got half a mind to go and buy one that says "I am a brainless twit" and then go and get my IQ officially recorded... Ho hum. Stuff like this is so ridiculous. As a BIKER, I would much rather go past someone who has made the effort to make me aware of any issues that may happen, such as young horse etc, so I can be extra careful and considerate!! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SHARE AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY? Mini rant over. :D :D

c2b

Visit site
What I don't get about the must not have any words on your hi viz is how does it differ from a motorcyclist having an L plate on warning people the rider is a learner?

vicksey

Visit site
Pet plan do not advise on wording, but do on wearing hi viz (which is a given really and only common sense)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
c2b someone said about putting an L plate on there bib. I dont know if that would be allowed or not. As if your out hacking alone with a L flag on then maybe you could be seen as not being safe to be out alone?? Just a thought, but i see your point.
Basicaly hi viz should be a given and most insurance companies do advise it. I gues that maybe the manufacturers should take some responsibility about this when they make them actually considering the wording...maybe that is why there are more entertaining one out now as they wont get you in trouble?