Funny with feet- advice please!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I'm having big problems with my new mare and her feet. She will allow you to pick up each foot, but snatches it away again or kicks out before slamming each one back on the floor. She's too big to have a tug of war with so I'm looking for any practical approaches or suggestions that may help us overcome this.

I have had a chiro/ physio to her today who is convinced that it's not back related and she thinks is more likely behavioural- she's perhaps got one over on someone in her last home and is trying it on?

She is an ex-racer who has been off the track since aug 2013 if that makes any difference? She is currently shod on the front only and is due the farrier in a month or so, so I'm keen to work on this before then! I've had several very competent people try to pick up her feet and her reaction is the same- just to rule out it being something I'm doing!

Virtual tea and biscuits offered for any help! X

TigerTail

Visit site
Mine does exactly this when she's brewing an abscess as she's is in pain balancing all her weight on 3.

Try a bute test, bute for a couple of days then try picking up and see if there's an improvement.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Mine does exactly this when she's brewing an abscess as she's is in pain balancing all her weight on 3.

Try a bute test, bute for a couple of days then try picking up and see if there's an improvement.

Thanks TigerTail- hadn't thought of a bute trial. Does your horse display this behaviour on all 4 feet out of interest?

Dumbo

Visit site
My horse has episodes of being stubborn with his feet. Being difficult lately but only with the fronts. He does the same, will pick it up and snatch it back or lean on his back legs and has to put it down before he falls over. I tie him up short, and really persist. It took up to 20 mins the other day for just one foot but got there in the end! No other advice I'm aftaid but interested in others ideas.

ghostie

Visit site
The single best piece of advice I've ever been given is this.... If your horse is prone to snatching and waving its feet then take a lead rope and loop it round just below the fetlock. To ask the horse to pick its foot up apply gentle pressure. Once up support the weight with the rope not your hand directly. The idea is to keep the distance between the foot and you as long as possible. If the horse starts waving or snatching you can wait it out without being kicked and only release once they relax. This worked wonders for my boy who's perfect now :) also I'd recommend applying Red Horse sole paint religiously for a few weeks to rule out thrush or infection causing discomfort. It isn't always obvious if it's low grade. This combined with the r rope has sorted quite a few with tricky feet I know of

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I still wouln't rull out pain anywhere - I would expect an ex-racer to allow feet to be picked up as poor manners are not normally tolerated. I know with nugz that if he gets mardy with his feet it is because he is sore somewhere. It is normally LGL or thrush for him and once I get back on it, he is back to offering feet happily :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My ex racer is the same. Unfortunately we did find out that it was pain related. He was found to have very severe kissing spine. He had been seen by a physio and a chiro as well as a vet and all said his back was fine. He had other symptoms though such as being 'girthy' and unbalanced in his canter, so I asked for him to be xrayed even though my vet was telling me he did not have a problem. After he had the operation to remove five of his spinal processes, he was much better with his hinds and remains so. He is still bad with his front feet occasionally (will snatch violently and slam them back down). But we found that if the farrier did not hold them between his knees or at all out to the side, he is generally fine. Sadly, he is no longer ridable as has a multitude of other arthritic problems. He is only 12.

So OP, I would say it is pain related. Anything that causes pain in the feet can cause this behaviour: navicular, laminitis, abscess, thrush. As well as other conditions of the legs such as spavin, PSD, sacroiliac dysfunction and back or neck problems. It is just a matter of finding it. Not many horses that have this problem do it out of naughtiness.

_HP_

Visit site
My cob will get like this every now and then if his frogs get a little thrushy and stops as soon as its treated :)

splashnutti1

Visit site
The single best piece of advice I've ever been given is this.... If your horse is prone to snatching and waving its feet then take a lead rope and loop it round just below the fetlock. To ask the horse to pick its foot up apply gentle pressure. Once up support the weight with the rope not your hand directly. The idea is to keep the distance between the foot and you as long as possible. If the horse starts waving or snatching you can wait it out without being kicked and only release once they relax. This worked wonders for my boy who's perfect now :) also I'd recommend applying Red Horse sole paint religiously for a few weeks to rule out thrush or infection causing discomfort. It isn't always obvious if it's low grade. This combined with the r rope has sorted quite a few with tricky feet I know of

^^^^This. the lead rein idea is the best thing i have ever learnt, my boy was a nightmare when i got him with his feet, he would kick out snatch, stamp and flatly refuse to lift.!
I used lead rein technique and he is now an angel :)

Melody Grey

Visit site
Yeeeha!! Just reporting back to tell you all that I have officially claimed victory over Melody's feet (well the front ones at least)!!

The lead rope trick is an absolute winner- looks like she was just trying it on after all.

Thanks to all who replied with great advice- very much appreciated :) xx

.....tomorrow.... The back feet..... And then THE WORLD!

jam14

Visit site
I had major issues with my horse and her hind feet when first got her to the point of dangerousness. I admit it scared me and my other half was better initially as he is bigger and stronger. Being 4ft11 with a 16.1 flailing metal at you isnt nice so i smypathise.

Her front feet she is fine and always was but her hinds were a nightmare and anything below the hock basically so no bandaging or boots etc. When she got a nick it was a right handling and once she got abcess from thorn in hind hoof needing poulticing - what a palava :(

It turned out alot of her issues were from a sore back which you have said is not your issue. We sorted the back but she still was impossible to pick out, lift and shoe which meant she was twitched and we both detested shoeing as did the farrier.

We worked on the this with a brush shaft and glove down her legs at safe distance til didnt react then on her fetlocks and hooves pressing for pressure. Then using a lunge line running down and pulling gently til lifted and released with out kicking out. Then my hand always with release and praise extending this over time and picking out safely. Farrier improved too but if held for prolonged period she then wobbled and snatched away so shoeing still horrible.

Then discovered she has arthritic knees so vet said could be putting weight on knees too long and I changed farrier to a more patient one who worked wonders with her. Sometimes she would be horrendous though when totally sound and I know not sore and think behaviourial as in her head. She would tremble before or wobble if too much too long on her knee.

I found she is fine to be shod without me even there which was never heard of if she is in her stable where she is content and safe with hay to keep her busy and no one passing by her or horses moving around her or dogs etc. He just goes in and works on brushed back bedding as has mats then brushes up for me afterwards and says she is grand!!