furious with seller

Fudgecakelover

New User
Visit site
Hi all i am new here and need to warn others.
we had been looking for a pony for my sons and came across a stunning gelding 5yo and just needed bringing on a bit, my eldest son is 21 took a journey ou to see him and gave him the thumbs up, it all goes wrong after this. My hubby and i go to see him and all of the sudden he is a she :confused: but she is a stunning little thing said to be 4yo and didnt flinch at being backed so we agree on a price and delivery.
Last Sunday they deliver her shove their teenage son on her and ask for money stating they have to go deliver another horse, i look in the trailer and i see a 15 - 16hh gelding no hay, straw etc and so much horse poo it was 1/5th of the way up his legs, apparently both had been in there all night.
They go and i look through her passport the date of birth has been scratched out, i search the microchip and find she is infact 14 months old, has been broke and is a mess, i've attempted to contact the seller but to avail, i am new to horses although i had 2 when i was a teenager i'm now a lot older haha she has had so little exercise that both rear hooves are giving way on her thanks to the tendons etc being so loose, it's painful to her and breaking my heart.
So i have a emotionally and physically injured filly that is needing ALOT of tlc, i'm in the process of finding somebody in my area to pop along and give me some lessons in how to handle my stunning girl and bring out her full potential wish me look and i shall keep you all informed in how she does. I'm not rehoming her she has been through so much at such a young age she needs a forever home which i'm willing and wanting to give her.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
oh dear :( well all the best with her, hope your vet has had a look. Lesson learned... you should have walked away after the gelding became a mare, you should have had her vetted and never ever have handed over any money before having a good look at the passport. :eek:

Fudgecakelover

New User
Visit site
Our vet has been out to her and other than tlc, exercise for the ligaments and a good feed she is in a good condition i know i should of walked away and have my silly reasons for not doing, i'm just attempting to report the seller.

Fudgecakelover

New User
Visit site
Poor filly :(

Have you named her yet? I look forward to reading about her progress and don't forget a photo!

her name on the passport is Lady but i keep calling her baby she didnt know her name so she is going to be baby lady, i have taken some pics of how skinny etc she is i shall put on :(

Highlands

Visit site
Got a worm count done and see what they suggest.... I wormed my very poor cob when I had her with foal at foot with pancur 5 day. Rowan barberrys soft and soak, ready mash extra with a balancer really helped but warning feed little at first as she s not used to it. Good hay and some spring grass in time will help. Good luck!

lt0510

Visit site
Unless you bought from a dealer trading standards won't be much help as they are for businesses etc. Generally for a private sale it's buyer beware but could go through small claims but would cost a bit in court fees etc. Good luck and hope she picks up. I would also stay away from panacur 5 day - when my mare was a raising 2 she had a reaction and nearly died!! She went from being pale coated to black due to all the toxins - just be careful what you put in her.

Rollin

Visit site
Sorry to be a bit dim. I thought it was a pony? If it both changed sex and grew 2 hands you had a good reason to refuse to accept is as 'not fit for purpose'. That is not a female pony.

I would certainly speak to citizens advice and Trading Standards.

I hope you have a copy of the original ad. Good luck.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I can quite understand why you accepted the filly off the lorry, but you could have refused. In taking the horse and paying for it, you did the deal. Kind but not wise.

If you ordered a fridge and a cooker turned up, you'd refuse to take it, wouldn't you ?

That said, the dealers are scammers, but I hope the youngster comes good and you enjoy having her. Its is always worth taking someone experienced with you when viewing to give an unbiased opinion both about the horse and the sellers. There are plenty of unscrupulous sellers out there sadly.

cptrayes

Visit site
Hi all i am new here and need to warn others.
we had been looking for a pony for my sons and came across a stunning gelding 5yo and just needed bringing on a bit, my eldest son is 21 took a journey ou to see him and gave him the thumbs up, it all goes wrong after this. My hubby and i go to see him and all of the sudden he is a she :confused: but she is a stunning little thing said to be 4yo and didnt flinch at being backed so we agree on a price and delivery.
Last Sunday they deliver her shove their teenage son on her and ask for money stating they have to go deliver another horse, i look in the trailer and i see a 15 - 16hh gelding no hay, straw etc and so much horse poo it was 1/5th of the way up his legs, apparently both had been in there all night.
They go and i look through her passport the date of birth has been scratched out, i search the microchip and find she is infact 14 months old, has been broke and is a mess, i've attempted to contact the seller but to avail, i am new to horses although i had 2 when i was a teenager i'm now a lot older haha she has had so little exercise that both rear hooves are giving way on her thanks to the tendons etc being so loose, it's painful to her and breaking my heart.
So i have a emotionally and physically injured filly that is needing ALOT of tlc, i'm in the process of finding somebody in my area to pop along and give me some lessons in how to handle my stunning girl and bring out her full potential wish me look and i shall keep you all informed in how she does. I'm not rehoming her she has been through so much at such a young age she needs a forever home which i'm willing and wanting to give her.

Did they deliver a different filly from the one you saw or did you seriously mistake a 14 month old filly for a 4 year old?

Why did they ride her when they delivered her?

How old are the sons that were to ride the pony - not 21 surely? What happens now about them wanting a pony to ride?

Some of the language you are using is very educated. I can't make your story add up, to be honest. If you are as novice an owner as you say, then I strongly suggest that you sell the filly and get your boys a sturdy done-it-all-before pony for them to have some fun with.

On the other hand, if they are around the 21 year old mark, tell them to buy their own *&^^%^&( pony :)

HappyHooves

Visit site
Not all 'private sellers' are what they say. You should google their telephone numbers and see how many ( other) ads come up. I think selling 3 or more a year classes you as a dealer in the eyes of the law. I would be very interested in where/who you bought the pony from, having been 'done' in a similar scam. Could you pm me please?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so you have a completely different horse to the one that your son, and then you and your husband viewed??

Why did they ride her on delivery??

stormox

Visit site
When you say 'came across' the stunning gelding, do you mean you saw an ad for him? then one of you saw the 5 yr old gelding and liked it, then when another of you saw it it was a 4 yr old mare you were shown, then when it was actually delivered it was a 14month filly?
And you accepted the filly without saying anything?
All very strange!

Purple18

Visit site
why if she was in a tralier did the teenage son get on the horse ? Somthing in this doesn't make any sense

stormox

Visit site
sounds more like a *****/traveller/gippo to me- theyr the ones who break 14month olds to ride (and drive). Not many dealers or ordinary people would.

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't understand the story at all I'm afraid! Your son saw the gelding, really liked him so why did you not ask to see the gelding when you went? I am surely not reading this as a 21 yo so the horse and didn't realise the 'gelding' was in fact a mare?!

I also do not see how on earth a 14 mth old could be mistaken for a 4 yo. I got my youngster at 15mths and there is NO WAY he could have ever looked anything other than that! he is just 4 now and there is a BIG difference!

This story is bizarre.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
sounds more like a *****/traveller/gippo to me- theyr the ones who break 14month olds to ride (and drive). Not many dealers or ordinary people would.

Wrong. Racist and unfair. The traveller community who live near me are very good horse people.
There are good and bad in every section of the horse world but to slag off an entire community is unjustified.