Furminator? Or any other shedding tools?

MagicMelon

Visit site
After spending ages brushing the dog and horses last night, I'm wondering if I could do with getting one of the shedding blades that some people seem to swear by. I'm looking at the furminator but am unsure if its worth the money or not as not exactly cheap? I also wanted to get one that I could use on both the dog and the horses if possible (saves me buying two and looking at the furminator, the horse version simply looks a bit bigger to cover a wider area so looks essentially the same?). The dog I should point out is a labradoodle so doesn't shed as such, but does drop off bits of fluff round the house regularly and gets matted very easily so I wondered if this would be good for her?

Kokopelli

Visit site
I'm not usually one for gimmicks but we got a ferminator where I work. Imagine 20 unclipped cobs malting, it's the worst.

We actually took a before and after photo of one mare, I'll try and post the photos but she actually looked like she lost half a stone in fluff.

Even on horses that don't look like they're malting, it just gets all the dead hair and skin out leaving the coat looking lovely. It even got one cobs 4inch long hairs from her stomach that didn't want to shift.

I do worry if it will go blunt though, especially with the amount of cobs we have that need de-fluffing.

duckling

www.facebook.com
I have the cat version and it saves me having to hoover half as frequently!! It's amazing how much fluff can come off one cat... Didn't know they did a horse version.

WelshD

Visit site
I use the Lincoln version which is much cheaper and does the same job, it just doesnt have the button you press to remove the hair from the tine but luckily I am blessed with hands

9tails

Visit site
The yellow furminator for dogs is fine for the horse too. I love mine for getting all that loose hair out!

Pippity

Visit site
Do people find a real difference between the Furminator-types and a straightforward shedding blade like this:

shedding_blade.jpg

Although my share horse absolutely loves the shedding blade, so I don't think I'd upgrade even if there was a real difference!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got a furminator last year. I was really pleased with it until halfway through grooming my pony i dropped it on the floor and it broke in half. :(

madmav

Visit site
I have a furminator for a ridiculously fluffy schkipperke. It is very effective, although I used to worry that it sounded as if it was almost cutting the hair rather than just extracting the loose hair.
Dog always hated it - he is neurotic wimp- and is now a grumpy old man, who reverts into 'call the RSPCA I'm being tortured' mode if he so much as sees a brush. So I've had to resort to hand plucking him, which is also agony, according to him. He is such a baby.

DD265

Visit site
Do people find a real difference between the Furminator-types and a straightforward shedding blade like this:

shedding_blade.jpg

Although my share horse absolutely loves the shedding blade, so I don't think I'd upgrade even if there was a real difference!

Yes definitely, the furminator (or cheaper copy) gets out deeper coat. I use both.

spookypony

Visit site
My mares both love being groomed with the poo rake. And then the gelding spooks at the piles of fluff on the ground.

It's hard to get poo picking done when you have two grey shadows that follow you everywhere and offer mutual grooming.