Further Decline of the Hunting Fraternity1...

Blairite

Visit site
I am sure many of you will be relieved to see me back and know that I have not been kidnapped by forces loyal to the Fraternity!

As we know, the Hunting Fraternity is still very much on the decline. This is a fact that will bring great comfort to so many.

I am also pleased to be able to mention the fact that DEFRA has set aside funds of £12.5 million in order to compensate those farmers hardest hit by the Foot and Mouth situation. This is a very welcome and generous measure, showing commitment to the rural communities, now and for the long term.

Clearly, such a situation had the potential to devastate farms and the rural communities, however, what we witnessed from DEFRA was swift action, good coordination across Goverment to bring this difficult situation to an end.

Regards

Lord_Blairite

Tinkerbee

Visit site
*chokes on her dinner*

Swift action? Good co ordination? In spreading FMD? yes...

You have to just be saying this sh*ite to wind people up :crazy:

Blairite

Visit site
Cough it up dear!

The PM convened a meeting of Cobra without delay. Coordinating all departments and organisations involved in the process of containment and eradication of the virus.

Regards

Lindsay1

New User
Visit site
Good grief - it was the government's lack of funding in not providing the monies to repair the drains at the Pirbright laboratory that allowed the virus to escape in the first place. A collegue of mine rang DEFRA to ask if a goat could catch F&M and the response was, 'sorry, I don't know'. The website was unbelievably difficult to navigate and updated very infrequently and no one knew what was going on - and I should know - my yard is in Pirbright - they did not even close the bridleways in Pirbright until about 5 days after the first report.

Blairite

Visit site
Lindsay1,

I must say, I do not recognise the picture you so imaginatively paint. Investment has increased in every area of Government, not just the rural communities.

Accidents will happen, mistakes are occasionally made, however, we learn lessons from them and I think the sensible thing to do now is draw a line under the matter and move on. I do not know who it was that your 'friend' contacted at Defra, but am sure it was not someone making the decisions about the situation! Things at Defra are good to very good, but I do concede that the glory days when the department was headed by Mrs. Beckett are long gone.

Regards

soggy

Visit site
but I do concede that the glory days when the department was headed by Mrs. Beckett are long gone.

Praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

Still not managed to spew up that New Labour manifesto pamphlet then I see Hymie. Still quoting it chapter and verse at any opportunity I see. Never mind you learn the truth one day! Hopefully it want be to late for you to redeem your self esteem and sense of self worth. Both of which must be at a all time pitiful low right now.

Blairite

Visit site
Soggy Brain,

No comment to make on the £12.5 million aid package for farmers and those worst hit in the rural communities I see.

Come on Trigger, are you pleased for farmers or aren't you?

Regards

jrp204

Visit site
And now good old defra are going to sting farmers with extra animal health and welfare costs, hoping to claw back 120million!! Where exactly did the FMD come from again?

Fairynuff

Visit site
but I do concede that the glory days when the department was headed by Mrs. Beckett are long gone.

Praise the lord and pass the ammunion
Still not managed to spew up that New Labour manifesto pamphlet then I see Hymie. Still quoting it chapter and verse at any opportunity I see. Never mind you learn the truth one day! Hopefully it want be to late for you to redeem your self esteem and sense of self worth. Both of which must be at a all time pitiful low right now.
For once, I agree with you Soggy! Im mellowing in my dotage :grin:. M.

Lindsay1

New User
Visit site
Sorry - been busy so missed responsing. Notice you mention the £12.5 million package for the farmers and seem to think that is sufficient and they should be pleased with their lot. Cannot really understand why you are on an H&H website? Most of us are here because we have animals and love them. Believe it or not - so do the farmers. if you had been standing back-to-back with some of them -as I was - during the F&M crisis - maybe you would understand that all of them saw their animals than more than just a 'price tag'. This is my last response to you. You views don't really deserve a response!

Blairite

Visit site
Lindsay1,

It is usually the 'antis' that are accused of being from the cuddly wuddly brigade... Now you are asking us to believe that they are actually the Surrey Farmers.

I am sure the majority of farmers care for the well being if their animals - but only so that they can be eventually slaughtered and make a good price. That is the reality. Would you prefer that farmers weren't compensated financially for their losses? When all said and done, Farmers are rearing animals for meat, not running a charitable sanctuary. It is business first and foremost.

The Government has a responsibility to farmers and the rural communities at times like this, farmers also have a responsibility to ensure they are cooperating fully with the protection measures in place and to note best practice with regards to good animal husbandry.

Regards

Eagle_day

Visit site
"Would you prefer that farmers weren't compensated financially for their losses?"

£12.5m is derisory: Veggie Benn's best guess at losses incurred was £100 million, but the sheep industry alone could lose £520m.

"Sorry" from Defra would be nice; adequate compensation would be better still.

Vagabond

New User
Visit site
lord blairite,
Clearly you are a wind up merchant and therefore best ignored as your comments are made only to provoke and hold no substance.
vagabond