Further to the it was all going too well thread

doodle

Visit site
Neck strap is always on. Everything happened so quickly yesterday had no time to grab. He is ridden in the afternoon and then in for the night so has been out all day. Feed is half scoop chaff with no fill and formula4feet.

eggs

Visit site
Sometimes they are just prats. My old mare was not particularly spooky but I did once have to sit extra tight when we came across a peacock on the path and I was jolly grateful that I was in my jump saddle rather than my dressage saddle as it definitely helped keep me in the plate.

What sort of saddle do you hack out in?

Glad you are both OK

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I would give him more work and/or schooling with a professional, which could be in the form of a riding instructor. I know the school is not your thing, but you may have to use it for now. Maybe even ride him in there before you head out.

My horse can do a spook and spin and used to, but if he's truly in front of my leg and respectful of the aids, it's not a thing.

It doesn't mean you or your horse are incapable or anything, you just need a refresher. It can happen. Especially at the moment when many seem to have a case of being silly!

eggs

Visit site
Albion k2 jump.

That is what I was hacking out in when B spun.

Have you tried a balance strap? I find them far more useful than a neck strap as you can keep your fingers hooked into it whereas I find a neck strap is never in the right place to be able to grab it really quickly when you need it.

doodle

Visit site
Yes he will be working hard in the school for a few days and then will be in the school before hacking out. He actually works very nicely in the school.

I though he was nicely forward off the leg and listening. I have found it best to ride him rather be a passenger. He was working in a nice outline and we had had a couple of nice trots. Then woosh.

I don’t actually have an instructor.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes he will be working hard in the school for a few days and then will be in the school before hacking out. He actually works very nicely in the school.

I though he was nicely forward off the leg and listening. I have found it best to ride him rather be a passenger. He was working in a nice outline and we had had a couple of nice trots. Then woosh.

I don’t actually have an instructor.

Ah ok, sometimes they are quick little devils!

chaps89

Visit site
I remember once riding an ex-racer. We were bumbling round the school on a loose rein and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor and he was the other end of the school. Nice little spin and shoulder drop, blink and you miss it type movement.
So you have my sympathy! You seem to be handling it very well and I'm glad there's no lasting damage done :)

ponyparty

Visit site
Had a similar experience chaps! I'd been joking about falling off (always a bad idea) in my gridwork lesson that evening. I was however expecting to fall off over jumps, not what actually happened! I mounted and was walking around the school on a long rein to warm up, literally had gone from one end of the school to the other.. And then suddenly I was on the floor. It happened so fast that OH, who was watching, said one minute I was on my horse, the next I was sat on the ground, he blinked and missed it!