Fused Hock

gingerarab

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime is now 25 yrs young and up till today hasnt been lame sick or sorry.

This morning when I went to get him in he didnt look right, colicy but also not right behind. Vet came out, treated the mild colic then agreed he wasnt right behind. She flexion tested him and at that point he went lame.

Roll on afternoon and vet back with x ray machine. The xrays showed virtually total fusion in one hock which has obviously taken a long time. I have to say I am completely shocked as he has never shown a lameness or discomfort.

At the age of 25 he has every right to be showing signs of age in this way, but I just cant believe he has never shown any pain. Vet is coming back to inject the joint with steriods.

Although in years he is an old man, in mind he still thinks he is 5 ! I really believe that he would hate to be a field ornament and keeping him in light work is what keeps him young.

I have no experience of this at all, so your opinions/experience most welcome.

applecart14

Visit site
My horse of a lifetime is now 25 yrs young and up till today hasnt been lame sick or sorry.

This morning when I went to get him in he didnt look right, colicy but also not right behind. Vet came out, treated the mild colic then agreed he wasnt right behind. She flexion tested him and at that point he went lame.

Roll on afternoon and vet back with x ray machine. The xrays showed virtually total fusion in one hock which has obviously taken a long time. I have to say I am completely shocked as he has never shown a lameness or discomfort.

At the age of 25 he has every right to be showing signs of age in this way, but I just cant believe he has never shown any pain. Vet is coming back to inject the joint with steriods.

Although in years he is an old man, in mind he still thinks he is 5 ! I really believe that he would hate to be a field ornament and keeping him in light work is what keeps him young.

I have no experience of this at all, so your opinions/experience most welcome.

I have replied to your PM x

Luciejjkk

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with advanced arthritis in his RH hock which has almost completely fused.
He has never been lame or shown any discomfort other than being slightly unlevel but more of a gait change really. Anyway vet could not believe he wasn't a cripple.
He recommended not to inject or interfere with the 'natural' process at the moment as he is obviously coping with it in his own way which works for him

Achinghips

Visit site
You are very, very lucky that at 25 he has not shown lameness associated with bone spavin.
The steroids sound like they'll work well for him.:)

MiCsarah

Visit site
Your very lucky he hasnt shown lameness, mine is in early stages of bone spavins and without bute is very lame. He is off to have them surgically fused next week so ou are very lucky.