Futurity with a 3yo?

stolensilver

Visit site
I'd like to take my 3yo to the Futurity this year in the dressage section but I cannot find out anywhere what they are expected to do. The programme on Horse and Country TV only showed SJ and eventing 3yo that obviously had to jump. Do they ask the dressage 3yo to jump too? I don't really have the facilities to teach my horse how to do this (no fences round the school!) but will find a way if jumping is compulsory for 3yo dressage horses. Please tell me it isn't!!!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Ciss can confirm but I am pretty sure you dont jump them if they are forward for dressage only. There are a few on here that did this last year so it should not be long before you are given the correct information.

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ciss can confirm but I am pretty sure you dont jump them if they are forward for dressage only. There are a few on here that did this last year so it should not be long before you are given the correct information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely no need to jump. Does need to be able to trot out freely in hand and loose school in a balnced controlled way around the school though.

HTH and looking forward to seeing yout at one of the venues.

stolensilver

Visit site
Thanks for the information and for your offer to be cheerleader Volatis. It would be fantastic to have you cheerleading!
smile.gif

I've just booked the day off work to go to the Arena UK Futurity. It isn't the closest to me but it is the only day I can take as all the others are overbooked and no one else is allowed any annual leave! Oh the trials and tribulations of being a working horse owner.
wink.gif

Does anyone know how much muscle and topline is expected on a 3yo? Mine is in very light work and won't be backed till the end of this year so may look quite young compared to others. Will that have much influence on the marks?

Promise this is my final question.
crazy.gif
Do the judges want to see the biggest paces the horse can give or the range that the horse has got? And do the judges mind if the horse is given vocal instructions as to the pace shown in the loose schooling? I can teach small trot and big trot and the same in canter if that is required or just the biggest paces she can show if that is preferred. I know in the ridden tests they want to see collectability as well as extension and was wondering if this is similar for the Futurity?

Ciss

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how much muscle and topline is expected on a 3yo? Mine is in very light work and won't be backed till the end of this year so may look quite young compared to others. Will that have much influence on the marks?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it won't make any difference unless the lack of muscle is due to a conformational fault. This is becuase each horse is evaluated (not judged) as an individual as to its own suitability for the discipline concerned and not against any other horses. The evaluators are also very aware of the differing rates of development of the various breeds and bloodlines and will take that into consideration too.

[ QUOTE ]
Promise this is my final question.
crazy.gif
Do the judges want to see the biggest paces the horse can give or the range that the horse has got?

[/ QUOTE ]

The evalutors (not judges :)) want to see the horses natural ability to come from behind and swing through the back in all paces showing suppleness and flexion in all joints. Age for age they are looking for the correct degree of balance and expression throughout and what you need to do is to ensure that your horse can show this, not become obsessed with forcing over-big movement when over-big movement is not natural for the horse. Rythm and suppleness is just as important and these are natural qualities that cannot be taught.

[ QUOTE ]
And do the judges mind if the horse is given vocal instructions as to the pace shown in the loose schooling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that is yet another question <ROFL>. The evaluators (NOT judges!) certainly do not mind this as it is probably the best way to control a young horse running at liberty -- and at least you will have some control over her, which a surprising number of people don't have (hence my shoulder injury of last year for which I am finally having the operation next Friday!).

[ QUOTE ]
I can teach small trot and big trot and the same in canter if that is required or just the biggest paces she can show if that is preferred. I know in the ridden tests they want to see collectability as well as extension and was wondering if this is similar for the Futurity?

[/ QUOTE ]

The evalutors need to see natural balance and a range of expression and can easily detect whether what is being shown is an attempt to manufacture this in a horse that does not naturally have it. I am sure your horse has naturally good paces so please don't attempt any sort of over-production as these are meant to be non-stressful events for youngsters and any hint of over-training (as distinct from sensitive but professional production) will almost certainly be penalised as such preparation makes it diffcult to assess the true natural talent of the horse.

stolensilver

Visit site
Thankyou Ciss for your detailed reply.

I don't think there is any chance of my horse being over produced. She does 15 minutes of lungeing once a fortnight!
laugh.gif
It will be very interesting to hear what the evaluators
wink.gif
think of her. The German judges were very complimentary last year at the breed show saying she moved just like her sire who was in the top 10 at the Bundeschampionat. Right now she's cantering like a camel but hopefully that will improve. It must be hard to look elegant when your bottom is higher than your withers.
laugh.gif

This is what she looked like last year as a 2yo when the poor filly was literally dragged out of the field, put on the horsebox and given a quick brush at the show. At least this year she will be able to have a bath before we go.

2644770510fc9f1335afbe096c8259bd97ee1cd8e96b18db7cd40bd7125bb55efcddcff9.jpg