Fybrotic Myopathy

booboo444

New User
Visit site
I have recently been offered a horse with a mild case of Fybrotic Myopathy. A present the horse is competing at Discovery level with no issues other than the mild shortness of step behind at walk. The injury occurred 2 years ago and the area was recently re-examined by the vet using ultrasound, flexions & lunging showing no deterioration. The horse is mega talented and has an amazing attitude and should be 15k but is a tiny fraction of this price, my question is would any of you take the gamble? Or does anyone have any stories about this condition? Many thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I don't know anything about the condition, but from what you've said: yes I'd buy him if he was what I wanted (would probably be the only way I could afford a good horse like that).

pollygbaker

Visit site
i have to say i would not. i bought a horse with a 5 stage vetting 3 yrs ago (i know this is all that can be seen on the day), 2 1/2 yrs later i had to have him put down with lameness issues. i bought a horse to ride whilst he was so ill to tide me over and then sell as a project - we ended up keeping him after we had the first one put down as he had such a lovely nature. i had him 5 stage vetted only a year ago which he passed. now a year on he is lame in all for legs and has a bony lump on his spine and at the moment is unrideable. i know with horses u never can tell what will happen in the future and he might be fine but he would not be a risk i would be prepared to take. his issuance premium would be high and they would right parts of him off - the average colic surgery now is well over £5000 after all rehabilitation. my boy had X-rays, nerve blocks and joint injections only a month ago into front legs and 3 follow up visits this was the best part of £1600 and he now has to be shod every 4 weeks at over £100 a set. good luck though with whatever u decide. remember the right horse will be out there it may just take time. please phone an independent vet also for a second opion of the problem if u r still consideing taking him on.

Archiepoo

Visit site
i think if this horse was to be a competition horse for you and you can accept hes going to possibly have a short working life and you will have a retired horse to care for with soundness issues then go for it. i have to say scar tissue in muscle gets shorter and tighter over time so depending where the damage is you may also need to factor physio and massage to keep the horse going

loopylucifer

Visit site
depends on the horse. My horse has fibrotic myopathy she has it quite pronounced on one hind and mild on the other no idea why it started around 2 1/2 years ago. It is and has got progressively worse she doesn't worry about and nore do I but she is a retired field pet (for other reasons). People may well question the soundness of your horse although it is mechanical and not pain related others don't know that and I know with my horse it is getting worse the hard lump on the muscle is getting bigger is now somewhere between a golf ball and tennis ball. You may have more issues with compensatory problems from using the hind leg differently?