FYI. Study shows tramadol....

skinnydipper

Visit site
Last edited:

mynutmeg

Visit site
From personal experience with my collie tramadol definately did make a difference to her pain levels. We ended up switching to codiene as it had less sedating effects on her than the tramdol but both were equal in pain releif

Leo Walker

Visit site
It makes a huge difference to my pain levels! It doesnt touch toothache or period pain weirdly, but musckoloskeletal and nerve pain I find it very effective.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Aled has been on tramadol for about 6 months now, and I definitely think it’s made a difference for him. We’ve recently started him on half a paracetamol twice a day alongside it, (on vets advice), and he’s taking himself up and downstairs by himself, something he hasn’t done for quite a while.

Shady

Visit site
Mmmm, well all i can say is that when my last dog fell and paralyzed himself with compressed vertebrae i was lucky enough to have one of the leading European spinal experts visiting the clinic and he prescribed 100g tablets of Tramadol and it was pretty obvious that they worked.

{97702}

Visit site
I am biased in that I have only ever seen one dog on tramodol - for bone cancer in a lurcher, the rescue organisation should have been prosecuted for cruelty - and it turned the poor thing into a zonked out zombie. I would never want to use it on a dog after seeing that.

Worked quite well for my broken ribs though :D

Littlefloof

Visit site
The happiest moment of my life to date was on the final competitive stage of the Marathon des Sables; at the point when I found the last tramadol tablet that the medic had dished out the day before and which I thought I had lost. Haven't tried it on the dog though.

twiggy2

Visit site
Running dogs utilise many drugs differently to other types of dog, my current lurcher has had tramadol and temgesic and they both appear to really stress her out, she does not settle or rest just stands up with wide eyes acting and looking very 'freaked' out.
She won't have either of them again.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Running dogs utilise many drugs differently to other types of dog,

Do you think this is because sight hounds have a different metabolism to other dogs? They have low thyroid hormones which is normal for them but would be classed as hypothyroidism in a different breed. This may be the reason why they metabolise drugs differently to other breeds. Don't know - just guessing.

Not addressed to you Twiggy2 . Dogs metabolise drugs differently to humans so what works well for a human may not work for a dog. As with humans, what works for one dog may not work for another. Some people are genetically predisposed to metabolise some drugs more slowly (NSAIDS and amitriptyline for example) and breed differences apart, the same may be true of dogs.

I have no medical training whatsoever so I may not be correct.

I posted the study because it interested me and thought it would be of interest to others.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Have tried it on two elderly labs, both with joint conditions. Both of them ended up like sedated space cadets, so they were moved to an alternative drug.

twiggy2

Visit site
Do you think this is because sight hounds have a different metabolism to other dogs? They have low thyroid hormones which is normal for them but would be classed as hypothyroidism in a different breed. This may be the reason why they metabolise drugs differently to other breeds. Don't know - just guessing.

Not addressed to you Twiggy2 . Dogs metabolise drugs differently to humans so what works well for a human may not work for a dog. As with humans, what works for one dog may not work for another. Some people are genetically predisposed to metabolise some drugs more slowly (NSAIDS and amitriptyline for example) and breed differences apart, the same may be true of dogs.

I have no medical training whatsoever so I may not be correct.

I posted the study because it interested me and thought it would be of interest to others.

Lots of parameters are different in running dogs, temperature varies from the norm, blood pressure, body fat levels (obviously should) amongst other things.
They can be less stable with certain drugs under a general anaesthestic.
But yes metabolism is faster so that can effect things, but it often takes longer for drugs such as general anesthesia to leave their system too.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Lots of parameters are different in running dogs, temperature varies from the norm, blood pressure, body fat levels (obviously should) amongst other things.
But yes metabolism is faster so that can effect things, but it often takes longer for drugs such as general anesthesia to leave their system too.

Thanks Twiggy. That's very interesting about the temperature, blood pressure, etc.

Low thyroid hormones cause slower metabolism (I have hypothyroidism) that would fit in with the drugs taking longer to leave the system. As low thyroid hormones are normal for them I wasn't sure if it would make a difference, it obviously does.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site

Lower heart rate is very very common in whippets at least. Dylan caused a bit of a panic when he was super fit as his heart rate was so low.

deb_l222

Visit site
I’ve got Willow on Tramadol at the moment following her knee surgery and she’s still as bonkers as ever but when Rufus had it for his back, he was like a spaced out zombie. You could have set a rocket off under him and he wouldn’t have noticed.

I believe it has differing effects in people, although I’ve no personal experience.