GAH!!!! lower leg position. Shameful confession.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Many older horses have as many, if not more behaviourial problems as the green horse who knows nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was first the chicken or the egg? You could argue there are no decent older horses, as no one trained the young horses properly.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The main point is to buy the horse you are safe and can have the most fun on. Some people here do not like my style, however it is very practical and straight forward - I think you will find many of the more advanced rider agree with a lot of what I say!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that GTs, you can just be so sanctimonious and rude sometimes when it really isn't necessary! I take a pinch of salt and usually have a good giggle at your more vocal posts but last night (fair enough I was probably in an over sensitive mood anyway) your initial post REALLY pissed me off as it was SO off the mark. I know you apologised and I appreciate that but please, don't be so quick to judge people.

Oh, and I find the 'buttercup' and 'babydoll' quote insulting too. I (like many others) ended up buying the 'wrong' horse but the situation wasn't anything like the 'Barbie meets Ken' stuff you are talking about, don't be so quick to judge!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
You're absolutely right GT's but that's the reality of the horsey world we live in - and I can't see it changing any time soon. There are plenty of so-called professional, experienced riders who have produced horses with problems... you don't have to be novice to mess a horse's head up
wink.gif

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I find the 'buttercup' and 'babydoll' quote insulting too. I (like many others) ended up buying the 'wrong' horse but the situation wasn't anything like the 'Barbie meets Ken' stuff you are talking about, don't be so quick to judge!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your situation with Fal was most unfortunante, and not really related to what I was saying. My ex-gf bought her first horse as a novice rider, during the test the horse reared 3 times, and she fell off once - she bought it because the horse is pretty!!

Oh BTW my next horse is going to be called buttercup!! I like that horse name, it goes well with Bubbles, and Nookie and other horse names I like.

Iestyn

Visit site
I've said this before - your arrogance is unbelievable. In one line you have insulted many of us "the more advanced rider will agree with what I say," suggesting that most of us on here don't know what the hell we're talking about. Where did you learn all this? From books? From a handful of people people? Because you say yourself that yr still wobbling in rising trot...but, then of course, in your head, that qualifies you to be an expert. How far up your own bac***de can you get before you shoot out the other end?

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
All I think is a lot people could be having more fun if they bought horses suited for them.

[/ QUOTE ] I think that depends upon the approach of the rider. Speaking personally, I would rather spend a year or so persevering and getting things right with one horse, than going out and buying one that is 'push button'. That is no disrespect to people that want to buy a push-button horse, just what I want from my riding experiences. To me the 'the journey' is more important 'than getting there'.

However, you obviously have to take into account the welfare of the horse in all this - if you are truly a very novice rider with no idea of horse psychology, or how to ride in balance etc., then you are likely to end up with a very unhappy horse.

The other consideration is the safety of the rider - no-one enjoys ending up on the ground on a regular basis
crazy.gif
. However, if that just entails making some basic adjustments to your riding position then it is not a huge problem. The horse who makes it his vocation to chuck you on the ground as often as possible is a totally different matter.

BUT, better for the green horse to have a rider who may be a little inexperienced, but is thoughtful and conscientious and open to advice, than a rider who has many years of experience but is arrogant and thuggish and unwilling to learn.

I'm sure my mare would be doing much better competitively if she belonged to someone who had a lot more bottle and better co-ordination. BUT she is happy and chilled and enjoys her life - which is the main thing
grin.gif
I may lack the courage and technical skills of someone younger and braver, but I know that does not affect her overall happiness.

From Lzt's posts it is obvious that she is a thinking and considerate riding - OK she has a problem with the stability of her lower leg - but that actually affects her much more than it does Sam.

I'm sure Sam is much happier with her than with some arrogant prat who think he know it all when he doesn't!

spider

community.webshots.com
Thanks S_V. You understand where I'm coming from. I'm sure GTS is an excellent rider and I admire what he is doing with his vet course but it's not helpful to pul down people who are trying their best.

Tia

Visit site
Only if it was an inexperienced bouncy rider, but then they shouldn't be on a youngster anyway. I have heard this said before though - it was something that went around many moons ago but I haven't heard it said in recent days. Interesting though - I wonder what western riders would make of it - we don't do rising trot.

Personally I will never do rising trot on a youngster - hey might be time for you to put up a post, LOL!! I'd be interested in seeing what everyone has to say about this in today's day and age.
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
Spider - sorry if I come accross as pulling people down, that is certainly not what I intend. I really do try and help people, it is probably more evident if you were at my barn, and not on the other end of the computer, especially now with me stressed, and short of time.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

As for rising trot on a youngster - I think comparing a Western Jog to an English trot a bit of a stretch. With young ones I find you need to become one with them, be incredibly quiet, and use consistant clear aids - I find this easier to accomplish with a rising trot.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think comparing a Western Jog to an English trot a bit of a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. It all depends on the natural gait of the horse OR how you back them. I back ALL of my horses bareback.......no place for rising trot I'm afraid.

[ QUOTE ]
I find this easier to accomplish with a rising trot.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? You said you couldn't do rising trot......
crazy.gif

GTs

Visit site
I find the western jog quite different - ofcourse my western experience is limited to messing around on horses on people's ranches!!

[ QUOTE ]
How? You said you couldn't do rising trot......

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when my instructor counts 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, I can sometimes manage it -
wink.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
Spider - sorry if I come accross as pulling people down, that is certainly not what I intend. I really do try and help people, it is probably more evident if you were at my barn, and not on the other end of the computer, especially now with me stressed, and short of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem - all is forgiven
laugh.gif
It is difficult to convey the right tone / body language when writing.

Hey! Ijust learned how to do a quote and used a smiley. I'll be a born again teenager before long!