Gah - Norman horse lame, again!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have a lame barefoot horse :(

Quick history if you've not read my whinges before
2011 PSD near hind, 6 months box rest and rehab
2012 tenosynovitis off hind, 3-4 months box rest, inc 6 weeks at a spa
2013 tendonitis near fore 4 months box rest and rehab.
2013 in august, shoes removed and 4 months off before bringing back into work with the help of boots.

Now he's not very lame, not every step I don't think, more on a circle than straight, farrier can't find anything with pincers, and trimmed a bit but nothing. No swelling or heat in either leg as far as I can find. I refuse to do anymore box rest unless a limb is hanging off, and don't know what to do. If I won't do box rest, there's no point paying for in depth investigation is there? Is there any other lameness that might show up with barefoot, they're on good grass, so lami might be a risk, but that would be hot wouldn't it?

My next pet will be a fish.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
There are things that it could be that do not require box rest so yes I would have a lameness work up. My PSD horse has SI problems which I believe often occur in horses who have had PSD, treatment for this would not require long periods of box rest just a day or two after the joint has been medicated.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Surely SI problems would result in hind limb lameness, this is definitely front leg, off fore, the only fully insurable leg remaining!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It could still be an abscess, they can present very mildly to begin with. It's always wise to rule out laminitis by taking the horse off grass, feeding soaked hay and seeing if he improves. Can you pop him in an outdoor school or electric tape off part of the field that's got no grass left?

I hope he comes sound soon.

I agree with RE box rest, I will only do it if there is no choice. If the Vet is happy for the horse to be in an electric fenced 'pen' or in the sand school, I do that instead.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm praying for abscess! Taking off grass is something I can do, but would mean box rest, we have no school and nowhere grass less to turn out. The tracks gravelly and would be good, but I wouldn't trust him to be turned out there.

I'm not being uncaring, it's just that I've spent hours and 1000s over the last 3 years and I've pretty much had enough of vets, stables, and especially rehab walking. I am so bored of the same 10/15/20/30 minute hacks.

We have a horse communicator (!) coming next week, so I might see if Norman can tell me what's wrong before I call the vet.....!

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Thanks, thought I was being really stupid! He has seen two chiros in the last 6 months so barring any field accidents in the last month he should be in pretty good shape. He saw a chiro and osteo 4 times in the. 12 months following the psd!