Galloping issues

bubbledreamer

Visit site
Hello,
I have two issues really. The first is that when get onto a stubble field i can never just canter my mare she just goes from trot to gallop!!!! She only canters at the end when she is tired. The other issue which is probaly the worst is when we are in full out gallop she will completely changed direction at a 90 degree angle and its near impossible to stay on. A friend of mine rode her and she changed direction and my firend flew off while in gallop!!! Any ideas welcome!?

kerilli

Visit site
umm, i'd make sure she knew you are in charge! i'd insist on her trotting until i asked for a canter, and be really really strict. if she speeds up even a tiny bit, correct it immediately. doesn't sound much fun to me, tbh. i think i wouldn't go near a stubble field until i'd sorted out her behaviour.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Ditto My girl used to get so excited about going on the stubble. Now she is so used to it she is more than happy to walk along or have a gentle canter. We only ever 'go' when I say so, if we trot and she starts getting excited we go down to walk and thats where she stays.

For goodness sake be careful, coming flying off during a gallop is no laughing matter, hope that your friend is ok

ErinDoig

Visit site
Goodness that sounds too scary for my liking. Handbrake turns at a gallop are never fun. Keep her between leg and hand and hopefully youll keep more control and steering. If all else fails bit it up!!

hadfos

Visit site
Do you always go on stubble with somebody else??I am very lucky with my boy as i have had him from being 8mnth old so stubble is done on my terms ie:if i want to walk,trot,canter,gallop it is done,only because we very often just walk it so he dosnt assume that when i put my leg on it is a free for all,lol!!I would try change her attitude to stubble,insist it is a walking excercise and build up from there,if she throws a wobbly fetch her off!I rode out today with someone else and there horse is soooo strong if my boy had gone she would have struggled like hell to stop him,i was a calming influence as i had my horse under control,have you tried this??Box her in to stop her doing handbrake turns,if you can hold her it will work!!

the watcher

Visit site
Sounds a bit dangerous, i used to have a pony that treated stubble (well all fields really) as a racetrack - but at 13.3 it wasn't very far to come off. It took me about 2 years to completely break the habit, although she never stopped bouncing a bit in anticipation

bubbledreamer

Visit site
Hello,
She is strong, I feel sometimes i can get her to canter but its soo hard. She does go out with other horses on the fields. The person i bought her off never canterd her on fields as they lived in a city so there were no fields around.