Galloping, who does it?

Pedantic

Visit site
Only occasionally have a total flat out gallop, and it's pretty much when we are on our own, if in company we end up fly bucking which isn't too pleasant, had two brill flat out gallops this year, once on holiday i Yorkshore out hacking on our own, he put a buck in then as well, and at the end of a pleasure ride through Caulke Abbey, no one around big area so nothing to spook at, amazing :)

Clava

Visit site
We clocked well over 36 mph last month - tears streaming, heart pounding, legs flyings, adrenalin pumping, fantastic feeling of being alive and most importantly staying that way! Nothing beats a TB's gallop! :D and yes we, my hacking buddies and I, love to go for gallops :)

Last edited:

Zimzim

Visit site
A big "YES!!!"

My mare loves a good blast every once and a while, I always know when she needs one as she gets het up, wont listen in the school and pretty much jogs around on a hack. Its also a bit of a change for her and clears both our heads!!!

We have a couple of places we can have a good blast, but also depends on what the ground is like aswell!!! :)

stacey_lou

Visit site
I know some people who dont dare gallop and some that are even nervy about a canter on a hack out.

My girile has a good gallop at least once a week to let off steam and to have some fun and she loves it.

Does it make a difference what your horse is like, whether you gallop or not?

If she doesnt go once a week she gets all tense and really hot on her feet

Are you scared?

I love it! Though does worry me when our breaks dont work lol

Do you have the opportunity to have a good run?

yes, we stable on a large BE XC yard and get to gallop up large hills and along long flats

Do you feel it is important for your horse to have a gallop whilts being ridden once in a while?

Absolutly , even horses need to folly about and get a mad 5 minuites

If you don't do it, why not?

JFTDWS

Visit site
It makes a difference WHERE you're prepared to do it - I used to work a big TB thing for a friend and I was very careful only to let him go when I knew we had plenty of room (fortunately he wasn't very fit, 'cos there's not masses of big open spaces round here!) but my cob I give him a blast wherever, because I know that if I need to he will steady up. My youngster's spooky as hell in walk, better in trot, good in canter and to die for when he stretches out, so the more fast work for him the better :D Most horses I've worked for people who were spooky or nappy improved with speed ;)

Are you scared?
HAHA, no, best feeling in the world :D I'm too busy being carried away with the feeling of speed to think about mundane things like fear ;)

There's a few places - lovely long field leading into a straight track up by the race course, nice 2 mile bridleway which is enclosed and covered by trees so always has a really nice surface and a few shorter places. It's not great round here compared to some parts of the UK, but there's a lot of grass tracks (good for a decent canter but short for gallops) with xc jumps which make up for the lack of gallops. Beach near here is rubbish, I keep meaning to head to Holkham - how awesome does it look there? :D If anyone knows any hire-able "real" gallops in the Essex area I would be interested though :p

Do you feel it is important for your horse to have a gallop whilts being ridden once in a while?
Very important for their sanity. Can't expect them to work calmly and sensibly the rest of the time if I don't indulge them every now and again. (Or do I mean "me" instead of "them"? :p)

I'd get very bored if I didn't...

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Of course we have a good gallop when we are out. Fortunately we have miles of common close by and the only thing we meet up there are sheep and wild welsh ponies. Big nice grass stretches to let them have a good go.

Am I scared?
No way! It's so much fun and I love the adrenaline rush especially since I have Buddy who is si bl**** fast :D

Do you think it's important for you horse?
Yes he loves it as much as I do Zi think

MoodyMare07_x

New User
Visit site
Are you scared?
If you don't do it, why not?[/QUOTE]

i think it does make a difference what your horse is like to a certain extent, as if they are not well behaved then you will not trust them to gallop. i know my horse is a bit of a tank when it comes to galloping, she puts all her weight into her bit, so there is much of a chance of me stopping her unless i reallly wanted to. but again, i think this comes down to trust, as i would more than likely not feel entirely secure doing this on another horse, unless i knew them and what they were like. i feel safe when riding her and i know that she will stop when we get to the gate :) i can remember when i first rode her though, and we went for a gallop then and i was only around 11 and that didn't scare me! so i think it is dependant on what kind of rider you are e.g. nervous, etc. and also the relationship that you have between you and your horse :) where my horse is kept it at a small riding school out in the countryside where there are some nice big fields for her to let off some steam, so i am lucky really when it comes to where to do it. but there are times when she has taken it upon herself to start galloping through woods haha! i do feel this is good for the horse and also the rider; horses that are in the wild run freely as and when they please and seen as we bring them into work it is a reward for them to be able to do what they naturally enjoy. it also allows another level of trust to be gained between the horse and rider, as i have touched on slightly above! :) i hope this helps you somewhat, just build on the trust between you and your horse and then take your horse somewhere into a field that is fairly open but there is a wall or boundary surrounding it so they know they have to stop! :p then bite the bullet and have a good gallop! you will enjoy it i'm sure! :D best of luck! xx :D

Snowysadude

Visit site
Yes he gets wound up a lot more and more spooky if I go for a good gallop, but then will remain much more fowards in the school etc and is generally more foward thinking

Are you scared?
Yes!! But not of falling off more of the not having any control - but I love it!

Only if Im prepared to go on 3 hour hacks, which I do

Yes

I do but only recently I didnt used to after loosing control and jumping out the field, only stopping when run into a brick wall!