Games to tire out a 9 week old puppy.....

{97702}

Visit site
Yes it is day 6 in the Colin household, work is flat out & incredibly busy, and I’m wishing I’d bought two puppies so I could stick them in a huge pen and they could play together endlessly ???

Any tips for keeping a puppy busy? ?

I adore him already (particularly when he is asleep lol!!!) so a gratuitous Colin picture ❤️ it’s that little wrinkled forehead ???

78FFEB49-BB7A-4E8F-B344-105AAD710E4E.jpeg

GinnyWeasley

Visit site
He is adorable!!! Back when mine was a puppy we did similar with kongs his favourite combination is mashed up frozen banana and peanut butter. He also spent a lot of time chewing up the pears and fruit in our garden (although this probably isn’t advisable- as he now has a habit of picking the fruit off the plants before we have a chance ?) We also did a lot of ball throwing, but we would have to retrieve it because he didn’t know how back then ? really it was human fetch with the puppa running around. he Also enjoyed (still does) like being Given stuff to carry around and chew, although this might be the retriever part of him.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Naww, he's lovely.
Has he got any toys? There's a type of toy that are elongated animals, very soft and light, with stuffing just at either end. Dee loves those, when she was little she entertained herself for hours 'killing' toys (still does actually)....shake 'a' fox, shake 'a' pheasant etc I think they are called.

{97702}

Visit site
He has lots of toys which he doesn’t actually play with ?? - he delights in finding things which aren’t on the toy list!

so far we have a horse whip???!!!, a dressing gown belt, leather fulmer loops (they went in the bin today after George tried to swallow one ?), a sports bag..... you get the idea ???

I do like the idea of Kongs so we will be trying those tomorrow, he does love his squeaky bone toy and his rustling teddy toy as well ❤️

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Hmmm that’s a very good idea, I think I’ll be stealing George’s Kong toys for him! Thank you ?

Liked all other replies on this thread, except the one I quoted. One simply can not like a reply talking about stealing George's toys! George is gorgeous, adorable, have reached an honorable age, and he needs his toys!

It is called borrowing, which will need to be payed for by lots of extra yummy treats, and other favours.

About entertaining Colin, if he has a large puppy pen, why not throw out one of his meals on the floor, and let him work to find every little piece?

ETA If it is not already in small little pieces, maybe you can make it so that it is. The smaller the better = the more for him to find.

Last edited:

satinbaze

Visit site
Start doing some training with him. Teaching him will tire the brain out. Start with the obvious sit, down, stand. I also teach a “settle“ on your mat it is v useful later on if you have a dog that settles in all situations. Also a lot of body work especially feet as those sharp claws are needing a little trim v soon.
The Nina Otterson games are also good to use the brain, I think pets at home have their own versions too. Hope these ideas help

twiggy2

Visit site
Fetch is not a great idea on such young joints, it increases adrenaline and causes them to keep going on that whilst the body is in fact fatigued increasing the risk of injury, jrt are also prone to laxative patellar and the twisting, turning and jumping at speed when playing fetch can cause damage/injury too.
Putting a toy out and asking them to bring it back can be taught as a controlled training exercise though.
Slow or stationary brain games are far more tiring but I belive Millie has already told you that Lev.

palo1

Visit site
You just have to give in @Levrier - resign from your job, give up all hope of a personal life and spend 18 hours a day entertaining Colin! :D:D I think hiding things (that smell or taste nice) in a way that he can enjoy is both entertaining and tiring though will set him up for a life constantly wondering if there is something worth pursuing in every single corner and dark hole in your home...

meleeka

Visit site
Scent work, you can start them this early.
Work up to scatter feeding.
Snuffles mats
Kongs
Put a few bits of kibble wrapped in paper, toilet rolls, boxes and feed him from there.
Lead, collar training.

I was going to suggest kibble wrapped in something. We used empty tissue boxes , kitchen roll cardboard Or even a simple cardboard box upside down.

misst

Visit site
Lev you bought a baby terrier - they don't have an "off switch" :cool:
My 11 month old still steals shoes/slippers, picks strawberries off the plants before they are ripe and leaves them lying around to be squished, chews pears if they are low hanging, is about to start on the tomatoes, brings me sticks and stones from the garden and is currently working on a project to get into next doors garden:oops:. In the house she likes underwear from the laundry baskets, and toys only when her big brother shows some interest in one.
I crated her when I was busy when she was small, for safety. She torments her big brother until he plays chase with her which means they tear round the house over and under furniture, up and down stairs, and sometimes playing tug of war with anything she can find.
The best chew I have found which both of mine love are Yakkies. Made from yak milk, salt and lime juice??? They last ages and both dogs will settle with one. I save them for when I really need peace.

misst

Visit site
If it helps you feel better Lev my 2 had an hours kip this evening and have spent the last 30 minutes playing chase round the sofas. It is 10.30pm and they are still full on....

{97702}

Visit site
So this evening we have had great fun - I’ve cleared the living room prior to cleaning the carpets tomorrow, so Colin has been chasing the end of a horse whip around the room as I trailed it for him like a little dervish ? He looked absolutely adorable (he does this little series of jumps when he chases something) but far too quick to get on camera! Now we have gone to bed and he has obligingly fallen asleep and is snoring quietly..... ???

“You stopped pulling the horse whip around for me to chase??!!”
BCB8ACDF-175A-45BB-B59D-9776E5EC47E7.jpeg