Gammy leg - photo. Thoughts please

Uniique

Visit site
Last Sunday I brought my TB in from the field to find him reluctant to move and bear weight on his near hind. After some inspection there was a small amount of heat in the fetlock and the foot was slightly red but nothing to cause alarm so I put him to bed for the night. The next morning his cannon and fetlock had swollen right up and he was running a slight tempature. Worrying about a possible infection I had the vet out. The vet sedated him and clipped the area. The vet could not find a cut, puncture wound or obvious break in the skin and commented it looked a little like a "burn". It was ozzing a little and it was infected. She said to keep it clean, and put him on anti biotics and bute for 5 days. Today however he is stills oar on the foot and I have again hibi scrubbed and cleaned it thoroughly. Here is the pic
2ljl4c7.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ljl4c7.jpg

Any thought to what it looks like its very red and soar. The crease in the middle keeps bleeding but he is stillv ery soar to walk on it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Uniique

Visit site
Vet didnt think it was mud fever no scabs. Its only on this leg and he has never had mud fever before (not that this means a lot lol) he is in at night on straw so would be suprised if it was mud fever. There are no scabs :/.

She only left me with instructions to keep it clean and bandaging would keep it moist. Not sure what the best plan is really :/

be positive

Visit site
I would not be bandaging now, I would leave it open to dry out but put on some cream or gel to aid healing, a moist warm environment will stop it from healing.

starryeyes

Visit site
My pony gets mud fever and before he breaks out in it his legs get very sore looking and red, almost like having eczema or dry skin as a human.

I use Hyperdrugs own brand mud fever cream to moisturise & aloe vera gel to settle the skin down.

He gets like this as a reaction to being exposed to mud rather than full mud fever with scabs.

Try keeping it dry & dont be afraid to smother the potions on!!!

Uniique

Visit site
Was concerned that lotions and potioned would keep it damp and encourage bacteria but will invest in some lotions at work tomo for mud fever :/ xx

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
That looks very similar to an allergic reaction to hemlock! Don't suppose there is any in your paddock/near water?

If not hemlock I suspect it's cellulitis in which case the a/b's will help. If it is an allergy steroids or anti-histamines would be better.

I hope you get to bottom of it. Looks very sore indeed. Poor boy.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Looks to me to be mud fever/cracked heel. Don't overwash with Hibiscrub as it will kill off all the good bacteria needed to repair the skin. I would go back to your Vet and ask if they think Flammazine will help? I used it on my horse's mud fever and it is used in humans to treat burns and sore skin. Wonderful stuff. Keep out of mud and definitely don't bandage up. Pink skin is prone to these sort of problems and as it has been wet all year its been difficult to keep on top of for some horses. When its cleared up you will need a barrier cream against the mud such as Keratex mud fever powder, udder cream etc. I use pig oil without the sulphur, baby oil is good too to repel the mud. My horse is all healed up now and lots better. Keep on top of it as it can turn to cellulitis which is awful and extremely painful for a horse.

putasocinit

Visit site
I wouldnt use hibiscrub too harsh and messes with the pH. It is clean so just put flamazine on and if it gets dirty cold hose and towel dry, then reapply flamazine or sudocream.

Sam22

Visit site
It is deep bacterial dermatitis and probably cellulitis as well. Topical antibiotics will help such as hibi scrub and flamazine but you will need to get a longer course of antibiotics from the vet and don't stop for atleast 48hrs after it looks completely better.

rachelholman

New User
Visit site
The antibiotics will fight the infection, so now I think you need to protect and calm the skin and stop a reoccurance.

Anything like this I have great success with first cleaning the area with a salt water solution, leave to dry and then applying camrosa once a day until you are happy the condition has cleared up. It is a brilliant barrier to any wound or skin irritation to repel wet or mud and seems to heal brilliantly. I wouldn't be without it in our yard.

Good Luck.

Rachel
[Commercial URL removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It is deep bacterial dermatitis and probably cellulitis as well. Topical antibiotics will help such as hibi scrub and flamazine but you will need to get a longer course of antibiotics from the vet and don't stop for atleast 48hrs after it looks completely better.

^5 I would put money on it .

My mare had this needed vets creme and keeping clean and drying thoroughly

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Looks like mud fever developed to cellulitis to me as well.
The first time my gelding had it I caught it really early and he was prescribed cefquinome to apply to the skin. (normally used to treat mastitis)

Recently his foreleg was swollen and he was prescribed a 5 day course of Karidox (Doxycycline) antis given with a prebiotic as it is very harsh on the stomach. My vet said you should stop this particular antibiotic asap due to the risk of causing problems and should not continue after symptoms have gone or if the horse starts to scour. He responded well within a couple of days but did suffer from loose droppings for about two weeks afterwards. Also prescribed vet mixed ointment containing antis and steroids.

I would avoid turn out until it has healed unless you can keep it out of the wet which is unlikely in this weather :(