Garlic as flea control....really???? Query

rubysmum

Visit site
A friend has been told by the man in her very reputable pet shop that he is now using garlic to control fleas in his dogs.
I've never heard of this, does anyone have any information?
And if it is effective, what sort of dose would you give a Bedlington ???

Thanks

Xx

s4sugar

Visit site
Its a myth. I had someone trying to convince me of this - same person was also convinced that dogs fed a raw diet never got fleas. Didn't have an answer when I asked how fleas had evolved.

Superhot

Visit site
Garlic pills from Dorwest Herbs are made specifically for cats and dogs and are not dangerous to them, however, if you were to feed garlic cloves in quantity, this would be dangerous... My dogs get 2 pills each a day and I never have a flea or worm problem. I also raw feed.

Superhot

Visit site
Having just read your link above, I would say that my old Lab died at 14.5 years old. I still have a 15.5 year old Toller, a 7 year old Toller and a 2 year old Lab.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My lot get maybe one cooked clove each a week if I remember. It's a well known flea control thing, don't know how effective, but I know lots of people who use it.

Garlic, onions etc oxidise the canine red blood cells in large amounts but a clove a week will not harm (IMO) although I'm not sure how effective it will be either. It's something many people give horses too, for respiratory reasons as well as fly control. I stopped giving it to the horse as some studies have shown garlic to also thin the skin, not what you need when a pony has mudfever.

rubysmum

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses.
Will look into the garlic herbal supplement.
I wasn't actually considering feeding him garlic cloves....although he is not above stealing a hunk of garlic bread when it's on the menu

Leo Walker

Visit site
Re the raw fed dogs things. This it totally anecdotal but mine are raw fed and never seem to get fleas. Probably just a coincidence though :D

One of mine loves garlic, he goes beserk if I ever get a pizza as I always get garlic sauce and I let him lick the pot once its empty. Hes also been known to eat the odd bit of garlic bread if he can get his thieving paws on it :D

dianeholmes

Visit site
This is also recommended for horses as fly control and I am cynical to be frank! My dogs have not had fleas, I feed dry food and no garlic so how do you tell!! I use front line regularly especially as one of mine eats snails and I am concerned about lung worm.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's not a newfangled idea, Julietter de Bairacli Levy wrote about it in the Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat which was first printed in the 50s, when she was beating about with berbers and bedoiuns and her pack of sighthounds!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Re the raw fed dogs things. This it totally anecdotal but mine are raw fed and never seem to get fleas. Probably just a coincidence though :D

Oh the irony! Caught one of mine scratching this morning and following closer inspection I found a flea! That will teach me to say stupid things like that :D Both are now frontlined!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine are raw fed and I (finally :rolleyes3:) caught a blasted flea on Zak last night. I wonder if we drowned them all with lots of swimming today? :biggrin3: