garlic for sarcoids? or thuja?

u02srg3

Visit site
My TB mare has recently developed some small bald patches and one raised warty patch on her face. I think they may be the start of sarcoids and would like to try some natural remedies to try and get rid of them before they get any bigger. I have heard about feeding garlic cloves? Also there seems to be alot of success with Thuja? My smaller pony got sarcoids two years ago and the vet told me to leave them alone to see what happened, they got alot bigger and had to be treated with the liverpool cream which was very painful for him. I would not like to go down this route again if I can help it. Thanks in advance for any info!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I've never heard of garlic as a treatment for sarcoids but I've had some good results with Thuja cream. I bought mine from Paws4Health - big tub at 30c potency and it has got rid of a couple of suspicious patches on my veteran. The bald patches might not be sarcoids though - could be ringworm or lice! Also, the suspicious looking patches that I successfully treated with Thuja may of course NOT have been sarcoids! I think that as long as you follow the "do no harm" rule then it's worth trying Thuja. Whether or not it works for advanced and aggressive sarcoids I don't know. I'd say talk to your vet if you try other methods and they aren't working. My boy had Liverpool cream for a more ulcerated, warty thing at the side of his face and I was never aware that the cream hurt him in any way. It was right under where his bridle goes and I sewed a sheepskin patch over the leather and rode him exactly as normal. Good luck.

teabiscuit

Visit site
i've heard of people making a paste with garlic powder and sudocrem, they put it on the sarcs and swore that it got rid of them

not tried it myself, mind you

genie

Visit site
never heard of garlic treating sarcoids. Garlic is a wonderful thing, we feed it routinely to everything here, its good for blood, hair, circulation.everything and the horses like it.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I use Thuja on my boy and have had great results, at this time of year he would normally have ulcerating sarcoids but with regular use of Thuja he now has one weeny lump and no soreness which is fab.

ruthsimms

Visit site
I've been using thuja cream and tablets for just over a week. I was away for 4 days at Badminton and when I got back the raised sarcoid/wart had dropped off! The other one is still there but seems to be looking better.

Advice from everyone at my yard was to try anything herbal before calling the vet and going down the Liverpool cream/other routes.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I agree with everyone else here and have had much success with Thuja 30c potency. I have never heard of garlic as a cure, but worth a try.

You may be interested to know that feeding garlic powder and granules eventually strips the stomach lining. This was first reported on here by someone last year from one of the veterinary hospitals (think Liverpool). It would be interesting to read the paper on this one.

Best of luck, and do let us know how you get on
laugh.gif

genie

Visit site
Hi.I didn't know that eventually using garlic strips the stomach lining. We use granules and put it into the sugar beet when its soaking so everyone gets a taste. and it mixes up really well. Seems that even the very air we breathe may cause some life threatening ailment.......my motto is.everything in moderation.
We use the garlic cos it has such anti septic properties and is a plant. Used to use cod liver oil compound.stopped that when someone pointed out that this is a fish oil and horses don't eat fish.which sounded reasonable to me.....and also cod liver oil was banned from giving to children in the early 60's(I think) cos it was causing weird and wonderful cancers in children.something to do with suppressing zinc(think it was zinc) which helps the body naturally combat ailments..and something to do with bone marrow..I have forgotten...maybe somebody on here is more up todate with it?

k9h

Visit site
The garlic could of helped as it boosts the immune system & thus by enhancing the immune system the body may of been able to fight off the virus???

Thuja is good for them though. But check with your vet first as to what they what.

ajn1610

Visit site
The scabby patches sound like occult sarcoids it's the same condition but a different way of developing, look like a dark rough patch of skin or odd coloured hair can be scaly and have lumps associated with it

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I honestly cringe at the thought of making garlic into a paste and spreading it onto an area of sore/weeping skin. Be very careful - just coz it's a plant doesn't mean it's a miracle cure. Ragwort is a plant. Foxglove is too, and deadly nightshade. I agree, all things in moderation but - and I'm serious about this - would you make up a garlic paste and smear it on an open wound on your own arm? I always reckon that's a good test. We are mammals like horses. And before anyone challenges me, I DID have a funny little patch on the back of my hand that wouldn't go away. GPs not much help initially so I (honestly) tried my boy's Thuja cream for a few days before I got a bit edgy that it could be a skin cancer. In the end, my GP removed it and it was entirely "normal" but please think carefully about the garlic paste.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif