Garlic

JillA

Visit site
It's supposed to repel flies, but no-one evidences that it actually does. Most sweetitch owners will confirm it does nothing regarding flies. What is does do, as a natural antibacterial, as adversely affect gut health by damaging the gut bacteria. I once left a tub available to see if any of mine would self medicate. None of it was eaten, says it all to me.

rascal

Visit site
At one time everything was coated in molasses, i think adding garlic is the same, just something they do. We never feed it to ours, but someone has told youngest daughter it repels flies and now she wants some. So much for spending years looking for feeds with NO garlic.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
At one time everything was coated in molasses, i think adding garlic is the same, just something they do. We never feed it to ours, but someone has told youngest daughter it repels flies and now she wants some. So much for spending years looking for feeds with NO garlic.

You will just have to explain to her that the person who told her that is wrong! And that as you want the ponies to be healthy, you won't be buying any. Fly repellent spray works so much better.

albeg

Visit site
Fed it in the past and never would again. Thought my guy had bad sweet itch, he's actually quite mild but the garlic made him much worse. He used to go wild for his feed with it in, but he's a bit of a dustbin (the other day was the first time I saw him reject something edible), so I wouldn't rely on him to self select.

SEL

Visit site
Frank didn't read that book, sprouts, broccoli, onions etc.
Hence I don't go with those who are keen on self-selection ;)

My trimmer's horse died after self selecting an oleander shrub - she points out many times on FB that she no longer trusts horses to self select!