Gastric/gut issues affecting movement

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm really tempted to try an equibiome analysis. Ron Fields' supplements really helped and got rid of the little niggles but when we get a rush of sugar in the grass I can see very slight symptoms coming back and he's really not holding his weight as I'd like.
My chiro vet recommended that I got it done for that horse. She's recommended it for about 15 of her equine patients so far, and only one didn't improve greatly afterwards when owners followed the suggested post analysis diet tweaks.

It turns out that my regular vet often recommends it too, especially for faecal water syndrome.

Boulty

Visit site
Hind gut issues can make them appear short on RH & seem to have caused some lumbar soreness in my horse (although he's also a bit bum high & was in need of strengthening work to help his core IE he habitually slouches a bit which should continue to improve with work). Can also cause the bloating & loose stools.

Equibiome do a faecal analysis that I keep debating but for moment he's on one of the Ron fields supplements, some milk thistle & coated bi carb. All on vets advice. Alongside regular osteo & physio to try & keep everything as tension free as possible. He is also muzzled in spring / summer (well when he keeps it on & doesn't destroy it) & comes in for hay to make sure he's got enough fibre going through. The grass flushing does seem to cause flare ups. Doing lots of different exercises including polework & lots of correct backing up to try & improve his posture.

Mine still isn't quite where I'd like him to be & I may end up doing the equibiome in the end. I've also debated PSSM but have put that back on the shelf for now due to concerns re test accuracy for type 2 (which genetically speaking would be more likely than type 1 & would more fit with some of symptoms).

If you haven't already & there is an area of soreness in the spine then has this been x-rayed +/- facet joints USS? May be worth doing in case of arthritic changes.

Ulcers generally have a cause & if management is all ulcer friendly & not an overly stressy horse then some kind of pain somewhere is a possible trigger. (The Welsh I had with ulcers which I initially thought were his primary issue (& poss down to stress from beast from east when I literally had 4 rugs on him to keep him warm) turned out to be secondary to extensive arthritis in his neck & parts of his back)