Gastric ulcers and coughing

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can gastric ulcers cause coughing in horses? I'm asking because my horse was developing a persistent cough which I put down to COPD but since being on his ulcer medication he hasn't coughed. Anyone else come across this? Or do you think it is just coincidence? I know that gastric reflux can cause coughing in humans.

heebiejeebies

Visit site
This is interesting, my horse developed a cough around the same time I discovered he had ulcers and I put him on charcoal for the ulcers and started soaking his hay for the cough. He has stopped coughing, and is much happier and not objecting to his sides etc being touched so the charcoal must be working!

Haven't thought of the two of them being tied together, but now that I think about it it could well be possible?

heebiejeebies

Visit site
Just to add - it was a proper 'trying to clear the airways' cough he was doing, not just a wee dry cough. Lots of white/yellow mucous in nostrils (and down stable door!) too.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks, I am hoping they are related so I can cure two things at the same time! He has had a cough since I got him but it had become worse recently.

brimstonefox

New User
Visit site
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I started searching for clues to the cause of my horse's intermittent cough during schooling and have ended up thinking he may have ulcers - quite unexpectedly. Some of the "quirks" I have seen in him that I put down to his personality (I have only had him for four months), I am recognising as possible ulcer symptoms but I can find nothing anywhere else mentioning coughing as an ulcer symptom. I had it down as a nervous/tension-related thing - a reaction to internal discomfort could make sense. I will be following this up and, possibly getting a vet out to investigate further.....

coss

Visit site
Old thread, did anyone get answers. My horse has had respiratory issues which seem pretty much resolved, didn't want to put back on hay today as first time out in 8 weeks, travelled without, coughed in warmup then he was normal for him. Wondering if gastric discomfort from travelling empty. Fed smallbucket feed before riding but no chaff as that seems to have been irritating (cause of initial respiratory issue unknown)