GastroGard & ulcer advice please!

RoseAmy123

New User
Visit site
Hello!
I had my horse scoped yesterday due to suspecting ulcers (funny when putting rug/saddle on, doesn’t like belly being touched, stressy,grumpy) and it was confirmed he has grade 1-2 ulcers. He has been put onto Gastrogard for 4 weeks.
I’m just looking for some advice as to when you gave the gastrogard.. the vet recommended bringing him in from the field in the evening (he was out 24/7) and giving him a small haynet, then going up in the morning, giving him the gastrogard and then waiting half an hour before turning out. The only issue with this is that he can become stressy when coming in from the field, and he eats his haynet so quickly (despite double netting!!) that from a few hours he will have eaten all his hay. I really struggle to keep his weight down so however much hay I give him he will eat it in the quickest possible time... surely both of these points go against a horse with ulcers?!
I was just wondering if anyone who gave gastrogard to their horses did this all any differently and still managed 24/7 turnout?
My next question is exercise, speaking to my vet he said I could exercise him every other day In just walk and a little trot, however I know some people who have been told not to exercise them at all during the course of gastrogard, whereas some who have been advised to continue exercise as normal. What was your experience of this?
And finally, following the course of gastrogard can anyone recommend any supplements to prevent the return of the ulcers?

Thanks in advance for the help, I am just looking to get other peoples experiences of this as I have never gone through this before!

Fanatical

Visit site
Firstly, have you identified the cause of the ulcers? In my experience, they are primarily caused by pain elsewhere in the body.

Could you not treat with the injections rather than gastro guard as that would mean the horses routine wouldn't have to change.

Top Spec Ulcer Kind and Protexin Acid Ease have worked well for me for preventing their return (along with diagnosing/ fixing the cause of the pain, which causes the stress on the horses system, which causes the ulcers).

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Definitely worth exploring injections for ease given the routine you have. The stress causing the ulcers could be physical or psychological. My idiot horse is now on relatively reduced turnout as that's what he likes. I was determined that he needed as much turnout as possible because he has had ulcers. But he got them when on an "ulcer friendly" regime (group turnout, many hours with adlib forage) so it was due to changing yards that caused us to find out what suited him management wise and he's been absolutely fine since. He still has adlib hay so I never ride him on an empty tummy but he is no longer on any supplements as the vets opinion was that they weren't helping. He is (fingers crossed) currently in excellent health and no hint of ulcers. I didn't exercise him much when he had his treatment as he was sore. Gentle work was ok but he had a lot of time off as I personally felt it was kinder. I am a soft touch however so I suspect that he could have done more!!

dixie

Visit site
When I treated my horse about 10yrs ago I don’t remember being told to change my routine at all and even kept on riding as normal. Perhaps advice has changed.
My current new horse is also being treated but he’s being injected instead and again there’s no change to his routine.
If keeping yours in makes him stressy I would’ve thought this will not help his treatment. What is the reasoning for this ?
My vet had given me a supplement but I’ve just changed his feed to Thunderbrooks and was today looking at their supplements for ulcers which look very interesting and worth a try. Have a look at their website.

HeyMich

Visit site
Firstly, have you identified the cause of the ulcers? In my experience, they are primarily caused by pain elsewhere in the body.

Could you not treat with the injections rather than gastro guard as that would mean the horses routine wouldn't have to change.

Top Spec Ulcer Kind and Protexin Acid Ease have worked well for me for preventing their return (along with diagnosing/ fixing the cause of the pain, which causes the stress on the horses system, which causes the ulcers).

I think the injections are only available once GG has been tried and failed! Something to do with it being a relatively new treatment and the licencing requirements?? The GG did fail to work with my horse, and we did end up with the injections, which did then work. Hold on in there OP!

And yes, limiting forage and changing routine for an ulcer-prone horse is not recommended. I'd perhaps speak with your vet about keeping them out 24/7 - is it possible to starve the horse for maybe an hour only each morning before giving the GG paste?

RoseAmy123

New User
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies. The reason for change of routine is that the paste needs to be given ideally on an empty stomach. Those of you who have given gastrogard, did you ride as normal?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I wouldn't ride, he must be feeling uncomfortable and time off should mean the ulcers heal quicker.
Most important is to find the cause (pain, stress, feed) of the ulcers otherwise they'll just come back.
I wouldn't keep him in at night, seems odd advice. I'd keep stress to a minimum so if you can tie him up somewhere he's happy while you groom him, then give the gastrogard after he's stood for 30-60 minutes.
Don't forget to treat the hindgut while treating the ulcers otherwise you may find his behaviour actually deteriorates. Sulfracate is good for this.
Don't suddenly stop the gastrogard make sure he's 'weaned' off it gradually.
Finally I rate protexin acid ease for once the ulcers have cleared up.