Gatcombe CIC 3* withdrawals

pootler

Visit site
I was looking at the results list and saw a lot of very good horses in competitive positions being withdrawn before the XC today, do we know why?

{97702}

Visit site
I would imagine it was the ground - I am slightly north of Gatcombe and the ground is like concrete, we aint had much decent rain recently :(

PorkChop

Visit site
I too would also imagine it was the ground - I watched some of it on the British Eventing website and riders were definitely taking it steady and it did look very dry.

Our ground is the same at the moment - could really do with some decent rain - overnight of course :)

pootler

Visit site
Thank you, I figured it might be that. You would think, given the prestige of the event, they'd manage the ground so it would be perfect.......

hcm88

Visit site
Ground was hard and (unlike some of the NZ/Aus riders) many have to save them for the Euros so don't take the risk in running.

humblepie

Visit site
They did look like they were airating if you know what I mean on Friday or that's what I assumed the machinery behind the tractors were for. Apologies for appalling spelling.

Nicnac

Visit site
Hmm - WFP is meticulous about what ground he'll run his horses on and is not shy of pulling out of a 4* if he doesn't like the ground (Pau 2014). He ran however. Saving horses for the Euros maybe. Gatcombe would have done everything possible to make the going as good as it could have been in the circumstances i.e. dry weather.

little_critter

Visit site
I had a good time at Gatcombe today but have a query:
Did I hear Andrew Nicholson fell at the last? That fence looked relatively straight forward, did something go wrong?
(Sounded like it was a nasty fall as he then didn't ride his next horse, hope he's ok)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I was there yesterday, and it was given over the loudspeakers about how the ground had been prepared with the airator and there was a good covering of grass. The riders seemed quite happy to have a good gallop. I expect the riders of possible team horses would withdraw if in doubt.

Dusty85

Visit site
I had a good time at Gatcombe today but have a query:
Did I hear Andrew Nicholson fell at the last? That fence looked relatively straight forward, did something go wrong?
(Sounded like it was a nasty fall as he then didn't ride his next horse, hope he's ok)

Hi- I was sat at the Bowl today, I saw AN come past on the horse in question- yes they both had a heavy fall at the last fence. The horse did look quite tired coming up the hill out of the bowl. The last fence was straight forward but a decent height and very upright so he may have just left a leg and not been able to save himself. They were both alright but AN didn't run his last horse so he must have been feeling it!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
That's interesting re AN. That's the horse he won on at the Eventer's Grand Prix at Hickstead last week, and if I remember correctly, it has a bit of a sporadic record for falling. For AN to have difficulties with him, he has got to be an incredibly tricky ride.

A1JUMPJOCKEY

Visit site
The ground we certainly not Hard!! As some others on here have said. The course was being Aerated as we walked it at 8ish. Some withdrew as they have other targets and a few withdraw as not in a winnable position, yes I'm sure a few did because of the ground and we are delighted they did as we jumped up from 36th to finish 6th!

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
The ground was fine, old turf well prepared, on the firmer side but not rock solid. More than happy to run on it. Plenty of withdrawals but some of those horses would either not have been competitive enough or are being saved for euros/burghley - with the hills it takes a fair bit out of them.
AN had a crunching rotational at the last, he looked a bit concussed and the horse was down and winded for a bit but both looked to be in one piece thankfully

Llee94

Visit site
I rode around Gatcombe today. Ground was fine, a little on the hard side but it had been spiked and had loads of grass cover and was giving in places on the course. A few were making the time in my class and people weren't being shy about pushing their horses on to try and make it.
I suppose they may have withdrawn if they knew they were not going to win or have a slim chance of being placed. It isn't worth risking un-needed milage on your 3* horse for nothing and that way you can save them for another day and re-route somewhere else.

Last edited:

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
The ground we certainly not Hard!! As some others on here have said. The course was being Aerated as we walked it at 8ish. Some withdrew as they have other targets and a few withdraw as not in a winnable position, yes I'm sure a few did because of the ground and we are delighted they did as we jumped up from 36th to finish 6th!

Congratulations on your placing - fabulous result!

AN had a crunching rotational at the last, he looked a bit concussed and the horse was down and winded for a bit but both looked to be in one piece thankfully

Glad both he and the horse are okay.

teapot

Visit site
I didn't hear about this- was it the last horse of the day (Sam griffiths)?

Yup, spectator got taken out the landing side of the second to last fence.

Hope Andrew N is ok. Plus Sam G and Andrew Hoy, both took heavy falls as well. Thought Andrew was going to keep rolling down that hill at one point.

Great event though and massive well done to Nicola Wilson. Looked liked a girl on an absolute mission :biggrin3: