Gatehouse HS1 Hats - Any good?

Joyous70

Visit site
Im looking for a new everyday jockey skull cap, i quite like the look of the HS1, if any of you have them how do you rate them?

SuperH

Visit site
I like mine. I was worried it would be too hot over the summer but it wasn't too bad at all. I did find it felt tight for the first couple of days but I think this was because my old hat had become loose and it felt different. It feels a good secure fit unlike a couple other brands I tried on that felt flimsy or just didn't fit my head shape.

Tangaroo

Visit site
I have one for XC and have to say its not the most comfortable of my hats. I usually wear a Champion skull cap which are really comfy. The HS I fits but i am aware its on my head if that makes sense. I wouldnt buy another one.
I think it depends on the shape of your head. Try one on and see.

starry23

Visit site
Have you looked at the Gatehouse RXC1 hats? They are newer than the HS1 and are ventilated with a removable liner.
I have one and I really like it.

Was going to suggest this. The HS1 and RXC1 are different shapes. I tried both on at Blair and the RXC1 fitted me better (which I was really glad of since it has the removable liner which is a huge plus point for me)

Nicnac

Visit site
I love mine but I am a Champion/Gatehouse shape. Can't wear Charles Owen. The only downside of the HS1 is that it's quite heavy so find it a bit hot and sweaty for everyday in the summer so tend to use it just for when I leave the ground (intentionally).

Joyous70

Visit site
Was going to suggest this. The HS1 and RXC1 are different shapes. I tried both on at Blair and the RXC1 fitted me better (which I was really glad of since it has the removable liner which is a huge plus point for me)

I like the sound of the removable liner, i get a terribly sweaty head, even in winter! I might have a look at those.

Joyous70

Visit site
I love mine but I am a Champion/Gatehouse shape. Can't wear Charles Owen. The only downside of the HS1 is that it's quite heavy so find it a bit hot and sweaty for everyday in the summer so tend to use it just for when I leave the ground (intentionally).

Ahh, i have a feeling they may not fit the, i wear a Charles Owen Pro II at the moment. Im off to the tack shop at the weekend so will see what fits best.

Shrimp

Visit site
Im the opposite! Tried gatehouse and champion hats but could not get either to fit so have remained with Charles Owen. Think you'll have to try them to see :)

ajf

Visit site
Another one who loves mine, but get it fitted. Doesn't fit my sister at all and her Charles Owen doesn't fit me at all!

LouisCat

Visit site
I used to have a Champion hat and then moved on to a Gatehouse HS1. I absolutely love it and then couple of time I came off in it everything felt very secure and solid and despite bashing by head in a fence I didn't feel a thing :)

Capriole

Visit site
Wrong shape for me as well. Liking the look of a hat is a moot point really, what matters is whether it fits your head shape. I went along to be fitted and a HS1 was one that I wanted to try and it was completely wrong for my head shape. Bit disappointed but loved the one I chose out of the ones that fit, anyway :)

Wideyes

Visit site
Everyone is saying you need the right head shape. But not what shape that is. Does anyone know? Are the Gatehouse HS1 for more round shaped heads or more oval and what is the difference between the Gatehouse RXC1 shape wise?
My daughter is going of to an equine collage, so it's time for a new hats. We like these two Gatehouse hats and the Charles Owen pro ll. It seems the Gatehouse are safer though.

FireFly29

Visit site
The Gatehouse RXC1 and HS1, Charles Owen 4* and PROtector hats are all tested to SNELL standard I believe, which is one of the highest standards.
I have an oval head and have a RXC1, although it's not quite as comfy as my Champion Ventair.
I think the HS1 is a different shape to the RXC1 though.
Is there nowhere near you that has a decent choice of hats that you could try?
Failing that the Facebook group Twittereventing is good for this sort of advice!
😊

007Equestrian

Visit site
I love my HS1, I frequently forget i have it on! I'm a dressage rider now and have my posh Kask hat for shows and a Gatehouse for lessons but I would choose my HS1 for comfort over them any day of the week. It also makes me feel like an eventer again ;)

xgemmax

Visit site
Everyone is saying you need the right head shape. But not what shape that is. Does anyone know? Are the Gatehouse HS1 for more round shaped heads or more oval and what is the difference between the Gatehouse RXC1 shape wise?
My daughter is going of to an equine collage, so it's time for a new hats. We like these two Gatehouse hats and the Charles Owen pro ll. It seems the Gatehouse are safer though.

They're more round i find. Charles owen are more oval shaped

crystalclear

Visit site
As above, it may or may not have passed more safety tests but if it doesn't fit correctly I won't work to its fullest. I wore HS1 for years because I liked what I heard about them. Had a bad fall once head first. Went the next day to get a new hat and said I wanted HS1 but I'm glad the lady was like this, she said it doesn't really fit you lets try them all. It wasn't covering the lower area of my head/neck well. So I have a Charles Owen pro ii not through choice but through the one hat fits the best. You won't know until you're professionally fitted

blackhor2e

Visit site
I have worn my HSI for years, and also wear other Gatehouse hats. Maybe they are for certain head types, but I have just gone out and bought another HSI as I really do like them, plus I find them really comfortable.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I had one & when I replaced it I got a Charles Owen 4 star. I tried the rcx1 and was the wrong shape. The Charles Owen is more comfortable on me as ventilated.