gates and mounting!

Jellicle

Visit site
I have two probs with my share horse at present. I'd welcome any advice.

The first is gates. Spike hates doing gates. It is not so much the turning etc, it is the standing still! He likes to be moving all the time on hacks, and gates get him worked up because he has to wait for them to be opened. After some work we have got to the stage that he will let me open gates when we are with another horse, I guess because he is a bit calmer about standing with another horse there. But I can't open a gate when I'm hacking on my own! Any advice?

The second thing is mounting. He has learnt how to take two steps sideways when I get on the mounting block, so I can't mount unless someone is standing next to him. Again, I can't work out how to teach him to stand there without someone with me!

soph21

Visit site
dont know about 1st problem but with the mounting have you tried getting on from the ground? if the horse is big drop your stirrup down a few holes and when he starts moving when trying to mount, keep reins held with pressure and just stand and wait for as long as it takes, my horse went through a phase like that and it didnt take him long to work out that i didnt want to hop across the yard with a foot in the stirup!!!!

catembi

Visit site
My horse was 4 when I got him & clueless about being mounted. I put my mounting block a horse's width away from the fence so he couldn't move sideways, & after a couple of weeks he got the hang of it.

Gates - I get o/h to come with me on his mountain bike!

oliverspal

Visit site
if your horse moves even one mustle whist trying to mount dont. reposition him and start again, if he is stepping away from you as you try to mount take up the outside rein more he then he cant step side ways. but keep your head no loosing your patience .you can fix this in a week if you are consistant.as for doing gates practise when your not trying to exersise.try and try and try again