Gates out hacking

kc921

Visit site
Hey all,
How do you open gates when out hacking?
The new yard I am at has amazing hacking, but the gates are massive and don't have a handle for me to open!
I went out the other day and nearly came off when I trying to open said gates!
I can't get off as I can't get back on again from ground ?
I was thinking about possibly taking a foldable step with me, but then that would rule out trotting and cantering!

I have tried using an extendable stirrup to get on from ground, but I'm useless lol

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

Widgeon

Visit site
Unfotunately the exact answer to that depends etirely on the gate (what sort of latch / handle, where on the gate is it positioned, how much space is there around the gate). However the basic principles are simliar - you need your horse to

- approach the gate either sideways or head on (depending on where the gate is and what's around it)
- stand still while you lean down and undo the catch
- walk slowly forward or backwards (depending on which way the gate opens) through the gate, pivoting around it as it opens

Once you're through then you need similar skills to get the horse close to the gate to let you do the catch up again. Then of course there are gates that slam shut on you which are nasty and you have to be careful not to whack a leg as you nip through. Assuming it's not one of those you can practice all those skills in an arena or on a test gate somewhere, if you can find a relatively easy one. It isn't easy so don't feel bad if it takes you a while to crack it.

When you say the gates are "massive" and "have no handles" - how massive are they? Where is the top of the gate in relation to you on the horse? Where on the gate is the handle / catch?

Finally (unless you have some sort of medical reason that completely rules it out, like dodgy hips) you really need to be able to get on again from the ground - it's not ideal to go out hacking and be unable to get back on. WHat would you do if you fell off miles away from the yard? But you can practice that too.

Edited to add - it is true that in theory gates on bridleways / byways in England should be horse friendly. However they often aren't and it isn't always worth fighting - but if this is a gate out of your own yard then it ought to be doable from on board!

Widgeon

Visit site
There are lots of videos and resources online that should give you an idea of how it works in theory - the BHS have one here -

There is a knack to it though and tbh I think it's so important that it might even be worth having a couple of lessons with someone who can help you. Or hack with someone who's good at gates and ask for some pointers.

Could you put a tree stump near the gateway? Or put a step by it before you go out and speak to YO letting them know.

Yes this too!

JGC

Visit site
Our place has gates with a sprung catch - I am assuming you have something like that too. Ours are metal, so I use the gate to get back or walk to the nearest tree stump. Could you do that?

paddy555

Visit site
I open gates from the horse if possible.Those that don't open easily or are a heap of timber pretending to be a gate that need lifting plus the ones which can only be unlatched if you are riding a shetland pony I get off for.

Then I find a wall, bank, tree branch or anything else to use as a mounting block. If I can't find anything I may use the gate as a mounting block.

I would probably have to get off 3 times on an average ride to deal with gates.

I teach the horse to do gates by teaching him "push push" to push one open or closed and "go back" for the ones that need pulling. By the time they have done it a few times all I have to do it slip the catch and the horse does the rest then I can just fasten it.

kc921

Visit site
So normal bridleway gates I can do just fine, the ones by the new yard though have the bridleway latch but the gates are like cattle/field gates (it's 100% a bridleway path as I checked on the pathway map)
My main issue is that I have knee problems so when I try to get on from ground I get into alot of pain for a few days after doing it (hence why I am useless at getting on from ground) ?

Antw23uk

Visit site
Ooo I didn't think of using the gate to my advantage! I think I will try that next time, thank you!

Practice in the school or somewhere when you dont have to do it so you get the hang of it, take your time and if your horse isnt used to it then you can take your time teaching them to stand nicely. I teach all my horses to accept me climbing into the saddle from various angles, lol! The amount of times I've pretty much climbed up over their bums and into the saddle ... very undignified, lol!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
The only trouble using the gate to get on from is over time it starts to drop and becomes more difficult to open if a nasty heavy wooden one. There's one by us that people let swing and slam, the hinges don't last and it falls off every year to 18months. ?

I do agree it is a good option though, one I use often.

Reactions: Kat

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I find the knob on the end of my stick very handy for doing low catches and for catching a swinging gate etc. if a gate needs lifting to open getting the pony standing side on right next to it quarters to the hinge is the easiest way to lift it while asking him to side step.
There are some routes I just avoid though due to how bad the gates are, tied up with baler twine etc. I have a bad leg too that makes mounting awkward and painful even off gates etc. ☹️ The joys of getting older.

AFB

Visit site
Some gates are just a PITA and really you need to get off for them.

We have access to a summer field that is a normal full width farm gate with latch half way down on the inside. Can do it from on horse if two of us but if alone its a get off job. (One leans over precariously to latch while other pushes gate open)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I carry my hunting whip, its a great extension of my arm when needed. Even so, on rare occasions when a gate has dropped, climbing off is the order of the day.
Practice practice - and more practice on opening and shutting.
You can also practice climbing up a gate to get on.. Worth spending some time with your horse just doing gates and getting on from anything that isn't a mounting block.
Happy hacking OP!

SOS

Visit site
It’s a very important skill for a horse to open gates. I’m not a fan of getting horses to push the gates, you really don’t want their head anywhere near those long rider friendly handles - a rein, bit or noseband slipping into one of them isn’t fun.

Hunting whips are very handy (take the thong off) to undo latches/do chains and fiddly things up. So I often hack with an old one.

If a gate is impossible to do from a horse on a bridle path (i.e very low catch/swings wide open immediately) I will get off and use the gate to get back on - give me an option and I won’t get off but don’t and I’ll use your gate to get back on.

Do train your horse in a safe area not to spook at you hanging down and practice your forward, back, sideways work!

Don’t let gates put you off. I was at a yard where the most beautiful bridlepath was unused by many as they didn’t train their horse to do gates. It was like a Disney film with wild flower meadows, streams and meadows. :D

SEL

Visit site
I've got one horse who 'gets' gates and will position herself so you can open them (& then gets cross if you stuff it up) but I do need to get back on her from the gate if I've had to get off and she's not fond of that bit. Clicker training so she knew she'd get a treat while I balanced on her trying to climb up the gate worked. She still doesn't like it but she does like treats. I highly recommend taking your horse and a bag of treats out to a gate one morning and practising. When I came off and hurt my back I knew I needed to get back on because I was so far from home and having a horse that stood like a rock while I struggled was a godsend - especially as she was very upset by my fall too

palo1

Visit site
Using/climbing on gates to get back on your horse is, I am afraid, really bad manners to whoever has paid to put the gate there. Gates, posts etc are not cheap and if people regularly use them as mounting blocks they drop and become really difficult to use. It is not great for the reputation of horse riders either. Ideally you find a natural feature to help you get back in the saddle, but it is pretty important from a safety point of view to be able to dismount and get back on again!!

ETA - if you absolutely must use a gate to get back on your horse ALWAYS stand on the bit of gate at the end nearest the hinge, if possible just at the hinge as that does the least damage.

Gloi

Visit site
Using/climbing on gates to get back on your horse is, I am afraid, really bad manners to whoever has paid to put the gate there. Gates, posts etc are not cheap and if people regularly use them as mounting blocks they drop and become really difficult to use. It is not great for the reputation of horse riders either. Ideally you find a natural feature to help you get back in the saddle, but it is pretty important from a safety point of view to be able to dismount and get back on again!!

ETA - if you absolutely must use a gate to get back on your horse ALWAYS stand on the bit of gate at the end nearest the hinge, if possible just at the hinge as that does the least damage.
Then again if the gate was properly hung with a reasonable latch nobody would need to get off

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It’s a very important skill for a horse to open gates. I’m not a fan of getting horses to push the gates, you really don’t want their head anywhere near those long rider friendly handles - a rein, bit or noseband slipping into one of them isn’t fun.

Hunting whips are very handy (take the thong off) to undo latches/do chains and fiddly things up. So I often hack with an old one.

If a gate is impossible to do from a horse on a bridle path (i.e very low catch/swings wide open immediately) I will get off and use the gate to get back on - give me an option and I won’t get off but don’t and I’ll use your gate to get back on.

Do train your horse in a safe area not to spook at you hanging down and practice your forward, back, sideways work!

Don’t let gates put you off. I was at a yard where the most beautiful bridlepath was unused by many as they didn’t train their horse to do gates. It was like a Disney film with wild flower meadows, streams and meadows. :D
I keep the thong and lash on. So useful for many things, particularly warning off errant hounds etc ?

As to the comment about not using a gate to get on, only do it if gate is securely latched shut so its able to take the weight, and yes - use the hinge end.

Griffin

Visit site
There is a whole BHS leaflet on gates and what they should be like to be as horse friendly as possible https://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/documents/access/access-leaflets/gates-0720.ashx?la=en It's worth mentioning that gates that are easy to open from horseback are also easy for any bridleway user, so are worth installing.

If the gates are on a bridleway, you can report the gate to your local highways authority online. Another angle to take if the gate is a pain and no one wants to improve it is to ask for mounting blocks to be installed either side to allow riders to dismount and remount safely. If you need support you local or regional BHS Access Officer can help (their details will be on the BHS website).

Gloi

Visit site
If I'm doing a route with tricky gates I borrow a child on a pony. You know the sort; the ones who can hop on and off without any effort at all.
I used to be that person. I'm now a knacker *sob*

The worst gates are the ones tied with wire or baling twine at both ends and that are so unstable and rickety you would break your neck trying to climb up them. We have one near us . I also got a nasty piece of wood in my hand while trying to open the thing. Yes I have reported it to the council more than once.

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Then again if the gate was properly hung with a reasonable latch nobody would need to get off

That is true but gates that work for a farmer ok might not be so easy for a rider and on the whole farmers/landowners will deal with other things first. Some landowners also don't see why riders can't get off their horse - I get it but a lot of landowners don't.

Cocorules

Visit site
The best advice I had from someone who was good at gates and I hacked with on my then youngster was to go slowly. It took all pressure off to do it quickly and efficiently to keep up and we broke it down into what each gate needed.

We are now ok at gates although the one nearest to me is a complete pain and surrounded by barbed wire and I often do walk down to that and only get on once through.

kc921

Visit site
Spoke to people at the yard, on a particular ride there are 5 of these big gates all within 2 minutes of each other and you have to get off at each one, they cannot be open by horseback.... Think I will just skip this ride to be honest! Doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle!