Gazebo for shelter?

Dreamer515

Visit site
Might be a bit of a stupid question but I am trying to think of alternative shelter for my 2 horses in this heatwave week. they have a hedge to hide under when it rains which works quite well and they have shade from the hedge at certain times of the day but in the middle of the day there is no natural shade. having a field shelter is not possible as the yard owner won't allow it. So I am wondering whether something like a gazebo would offer adequate shelter?

I am thinking of putting up a double sized gazebo in the corner of the field so I can secure it safely to the hedge and also pin it down to the floor.

My boys are used to gazebo's when they go out and about and have even stood under one at our yard show when it rained heavily with no issue.

I am wondering if it would be tall enough though, my boys are both ex racers standing at 16.2hh and 16hh.

Has anyone used a gazebo before or can think of any alternatives that won't cost the earth?

They have access to water 24/7 and bringing them into their stables in the day is not an option as their wooden stables act like saunas in the heat.

One of them seems to suffer in the heat so I am always worrying about him, he has a cool hose morning and evening and he has electrolytes in his feed as well as a mineral lick in their paddock (this is all on vets advise) any other advise is greatly welcomed.

hank you.

hellfire

Visit site
One of mine would eat it! I have a gazebo that a 16.2hh could stand under so really depends on your horses. If they are not the destructive type like my lot and they wouldn’t be prone to scratching their bums and you can securely tether it down without being a danger then it could work. Lots of ifs and buts. All you can do is try it and see. My huge gazebo is sturdy but don’t fancy it’s chances against one of my lads bums or teeth ?. Would be a pile of shredded mess.

Dreamer515

Visit site
They are pretty good with not rubbing or playing with things when in their stables but I didn't think of them itching on the legs and would hate for them to injure themselves if they did. I was going to place it in the corner where it is pretty shielded from the wind and make sure it was tied securely but yes I suppose if it was really windy then it would need to be taken down so it wouldn't blow away.

hmm, will have to go back to the drawing board I think.

Thank you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine likes biting and pulling down the guttering so I reckon a gazebo would be fair game, how about 4 poles in the ground you could put 2 in the hedge line so it has a back to it then attach some kind of canopy to the top.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Can't see how any normal gazebo would withstand loose horses for any length of time at all!

Maybe 4 strong posts to 8 feet then a canvas roof, sloping to let rain off, might work?

Dreamer515

Visit site
One of mine likes biting and pulling down the guttering so I reckon a gazebo would be fair game, how about 4 poles in the ground you could put 2 in the hedge line so it has a back to it then attach some kind of canopy to the top.
I did think of this though not sure what would be the best material to use as a canopy that would be steady enough

hellfire

Visit site
You can get bolt in met posts 4 of. 4 fence stakes and then bolt up 4 length of 2x4 then tie a tarp or bolt down corrugated? Totally able to dismantle it then no problem. Be steady enough for a bum rub too. The met posts would have to be dug out unless you put down 4 concrete blocks and get the ones that bolt down. Will need a lot of bolts!

hellfire

Visit site
They do po
unfortunately not, I think I would be pushing my luck with a gazebo to be honest, yard owner is worried they will wreck the ground round a shelter.
Yes they do poach the ground around shelters but if it’s movable you could then say you will move it once a week to stop this. Or do what I’ve done and built a patio inside and out the front. Stopped it getting poached and in winter they can stand on solid ground if it’s wet. Can be lifted if needed. Some land owners I understand won’t want anything like that. Or you use grass mats?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I did think of this though not sure what would be the best material to use as a canopy that would be steady enough

Maybe that thick canvas like material they make awnings out of. Even better if it rolls out so you could roll it back so they're not tempted to stand under it in muddy conditions.

Nicnac

Visit site
Somebody used camouflage netting on long poles as a shelter as doesn't get the wind up it but gives good shade. Not sure how sturdy it would be though and if it were to fall and get caught up in legs could be a disaster. Funnily enough my wooden stables are quite cool but guess it depends where yours are sited.