GCSE horse riding video... take 2 :)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Er - close the door when putting headcollar on, push horse away from you when turning and go under horse's neck to switch sides? (All by 1 min 08) And what's with the multi-knot when tying up?

PingPongPony

Visit site
Er - close the door when putting headcollar on, push horse away from you when turning and go under horse's neck to switch sides? (All by 1 min 08) And what's with the multi-knot when tying up?

Thats how i've been taught to tie up when i was in the riding school, always assumed its correct.

Happy Hunter

Visit site
hope this isnt totally BHS over the top! But you wanted comments (and im lying in bed with a horrible cold,,,)

No Hat or gloves on at any stage - (during the tacking up and leading about bits)
not proper knot whilst tying up - I didnt know when people started doing this loop through thing - but its not BHS!
Horse not tied up properly during tacking up
for exams I would 'demonstrate' that the tack fits with fingers under nose band ect
heels down in the original flatwork bit would bring your lower leg forward a bit.

Good jumping
awsome horse!! :D

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Are the first 3mins now a requirement? (spec may have changed from when i marked videos last year)
Not sure if you have included sound but when i played it there wasn't any. Would be useful for you to explain what you're doing and why in the opening 3 mins if this section is a requirement as often it will be a non horsey PE teacher looking at the video. (this is why I was involved in the marking at my school) It would help them understand what you're doing and would demonstrate your knowledge. Ridden work is good, but could you not do you flat work as more of a mini dressage test demonstrating circles and figures of 8, nothing too complicated but shows control, steering and clear transitions. Jumping is impressive and nothing i can think to improve there... :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
No it's not total BHS :) I guess i have bad habits :eek: It's basically supposed to show that i'm able to ride. The alternatives to the jumping bits are: ride with contact, ride in a double bridle and show some lateral movements, so you don't have to be extremely good or anything. The video is marked out of 10. :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
Are the first 3mins now a requirement? (spec may have changed from when i marked videos last year)
Not sure if you have included sound but when i played it there wasn't any. Would be useful for you to explain what you're doing and why in the opening 3 mins if this section is a requirement as often it will be a non horsey PE teacher looking at the video. (this is why I was involved in the marking at my school) It would help them understand what you're doing and would demonstrate your knowledge. Ridden work is good, but could you not do you flat work as more of a mini dressage test demonstrating circles and figures of 8, nothing too complicated but shows control, steering and clear transitions. Jumping is impressive and nothing i can think to improve there... :)

My PE teacher is very horsey and she said just captions will be fine but she did say that i do have to do all the how to put on a headcollar etc, its a bit of a pain as i do have bad habits, loads of them on the ground (and probably a fair amount ridden) so i really had to watch myself :eek: The tacking up bit was actualy take 3 as horse is a bit grumpy when being tacked up so in take 1 she nearly kicked me and kicked out at friend and in take 2 she tried to grab the camera with her teeth (yes she's had all the possible checks, she's a grumpy mare that all it is) :) Thank you for taking the time to watch it and for the comments!

lialls

Visit site
I'd leave it as it is, i think its fine (apart from the tieing up knot). Your teacher will ask you to explane what you can improve on (mostly ridden, so dont worry about no hat and gloves for leading, i didnt wear them in my video and didnt ride in glove!) so you've got lots to talk about as it is.

You need to talk about things like her canter strike off on the wrong leg and how you would improve it - You would do more transitions before hand to make sure the horse is listening to you and also make sure that you prepare well for the transition and give the correct aids for cantre, which are blah blah blah. etc.

and to show you have some knowledge of horses in general i would say about the mare being grumpy when tacked up and thats shes had all relervent checks, blah blah blah.

i wouldn't worry about your bad habits (stable door left open) you can alway explane that for example - its not safe to leave the stable door open when puting on a headcoller because blah blah blah - this will show that although you've made some mistakes in the video you do know how to safely handle the horse.

Good luck :)

Maddie2412

Visit site
if im beings picky dorr closed for headcollar on, tie up a bit looser and in the 'old-style' quick release, tends to go down a bit better. The 3ft jump in the school you cant actually see cant it be filmed further up? the block completely hides the jump so you cant see it. otherwise think it was good :D good luck sure it will go well

ETA noseband should also be done up first!!!! and like earlier poster i would show you acknowledge the right fit ie finger under noseband and hand in throat-lash...

Always_A_Moody_Mare

Visit site
I had to do a video a few years go for my Pe and it was very similar to yours but my jumps were smaller and I expect they have changed it as the criteria were different. I would try and include a dressage test if you can, mine was only a prelim but it shows control etc. If you can't, don't worry im sure it will be fine. I got a 10 for mine, and yours is better!

Good luck :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
Why couldn't I do this when I did my GCSEs?! I had to do athletics!

I have no idea about what you're really meant to show but wanted to say that I also tie that knot sometimes (can tie a proper BHS one as well) and I don't see what's wrong with it tbh. It's a quick release knot which is all it's supposed to be surely?

Syrah

Visit site
Some already mentioned:

1. Ask horse to move back and close the stable door when putting head collar on (or stable guard)

2. Check fit of tack - noseband, throat lash

3. Use quick release knot when tying horse up

4. First flatwork section, horse went into canter instead of trot for a stride or two - I would refilm that

5. Wear a hat! Not just for riding, and especially seeing as the horse kicked up with his back leg when you reached under for the girth strap.

Kiristamm

Visit site
As others have said above,

Also when you are tacking up you walk around the back of the horse. For a test i would move under the neck.

If we are being picky the noseband is done up first. Also the flash section of your noseband is upside down (should be buckle down with a keeper on it to hold the strap in place), maybe you take off the flash strap for that bit??

Hope this helps!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm not going to list my credentials - if you want to know them you can pm me :D but some of the comments above are not entirely correct, so I'll just stick my tuppence worth in :)

You do need to move the horse back and close the door behind you before putting on the headcollar.

You should be wearing a hat and gloves to lead the horse out of the stable. You do not need to wear hat and gloves when you are carrying out tasks in the stable.

Your knot is perfectly okay, providing you always put the free end through the last loop (otherwise the horse can undo himself). In many ways I prefer this knot to other "quick release" knots because the rope comes free instantly from the string rather than having to be passed through it - so it is actually a quicker release.

Don't go round the back of the horse, go round the front. At this level you should probably unclip the lead rope and go in front of the horse, holding onto the headcollar as you do so, then reclip it.

The horse is "girthy" and reacts when you put on the saddle, so I would position yourself nearer his shoulder than his hind legs! Always check both sides of your saddle and bridle. You're tacking up from the left but you must go to the other side and make sure everything is okay there as well.

Having the headcollar round the neck and the rope untied through the string is fine - do not (as suggested above somewhere) have the headcollar round the neck and the rope tied.

I don't care if you do the noseband or throatlash up first, but usually you would do the noseband to ensure that it isn't poking the horse in the eye while you're doing other things! I agree that it would look better if you showed that you are checking the fitting of the bridle - personally I think the cavesson part of your noseband is sitting too low anyway.

Mounting - I would actually prefer to see you mounting from a block (better for horse/saddle/you!) but mounting from the ground is okay. However, you need your reins shorter so you are in control of the horse, and your left hand
should be at the base of the neck just forward of the withers, NOT on the pommel. Try standing at his shoulder and facing the tail more, using your right hand to turn the stirrup towards you, and then putting your left foot in the stirrup, your right hand on the waist of the saddle on the far side - if you can reach!! - and NOT on the cantle. The swing yourself up and your right leg over and sit gently in the saddle. If your reins are the right length he won't walk forward when you get on. If you need to haul on the saddle to get on, or if you can't reach over to the waist of the saddle on the far side, you definitely should be using a block.

That's as far as I got with your video, you'll be glad to know!

1Lucie

Visit site
When u tack up horse isnt tied up! Also leaving door open when u put his headcollar on! Ur lovely little rider, i wish i could do that cross country like u can!

PingPongPony

Visit site
When u tack up horse isnt tied up! Also leaving door open when u put his headcollar on! Ur lovely little rider, i wish i could do that cross country like u can!

It is tie up, while i put the saddle on it's tied up properly and when i'm putting the bridle on the headcollar is round it's neck and the rope is untied but put through the tie up ring :) The door, one of my many bad habits, i'm just so used to the horse puttting her nose in the headcollar and walking straight out with me, saves time in the morning when trying to do everything on time! :eek: And thank you :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
I'm not going to list my credentials - if you want to know them you can pm me :D but some of the comments above are not entirely correct, so I'll just stick my tuppence worth in :)

You do need to move the horse back and close the door behind you before putting on the headcollar.

You should be wearing a hat and gloves to lead the horse out of the stable. You do not need to wear hat and gloves when you are carrying out tasks in the stable.

Your knot is perfectly okay, providing you always put the free end through the last loop (otherwise the horse can undo himself). In many ways I prefer this knot to other "quick release" knots because the rope comes free instantly from the string rather than having to be passed through it - so it is actually a quicker release.

Don't go round the back of the horse, go round the front. At this level you should probably unclip the lead rope and go in front of the horse, holding onto the headcollar as you do so, then reclip it.

The horse is "girthy" and reacts when you put on the saddle, so I would position yourself nearer his shoulder than his hind legs! Always check both sides of your saddle and bridle. You're tacking up from the left but you must go to the other side and make sure everything is okay there as well.

Having the headcollar round the neck and the rope untied through the string is fine - do not (as suggested above somewhere) have the headcollar round the neck and the rope tied.

I don't care if you do the noseband or throatlash up first, but usually you would do the noseband to ensure that it isn't poking the horse in the eye while you're doing other things! I agree that it would look better if you showed that you are checking the fitting of the bridle - personally I think the cavesson part of your noseband is sitting too low anyway.

Mounting - I would actually prefer to see you mounting from a block (better for horse/saddle/you!) but mounting from the ground is okay. However, you need your reins shorter so you are in control of the horse, and your left hand
should be at the base of the neck just forward of the withers, NOT on the pommel. Try standing at his shoulder and facing the tail more, using your right hand to turn the stirrup towards you, and then putting your left foot in the stirrup, your right hand on the waist of the saddle on the far side - if you can reach!! - and NOT on the cantle. The swing yourself up and your right leg over and sit gently in the saddle. If your reins are the right length he won't walk forward when you get on. If you need to haul on the saddle to get on, or if you can't reach over to the waist of the saddle on the far side, you definitely should be using a block.

Thank you for your comments :) I asked my PE teacher and i have been told to show mounting from the ground unfortunately, otherwise i always mount from a block :) Horse always walks off straight away, i had to film this part after i rode her because she trots off if i mount before she's slightly tired, and if my reins are short she rears then trots off, i have been working on this and this is a big improvement so unfortunately this is also the horse :)
In the ideal world, i should have a schoolmaster type that will be fine whatever i do, but i have a quirky horse that has learnt my bad habits and previous owners and is used to certain ways of doing things, when something is done differently it throws a strop and has a paddy about it :eek: so, i'm hoping what i have done wrong won't put my mark down. But we shall see :) Thank you for comments again and thanks for watching it :)

Katd66

Visit site

Completely agree with this.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Having worked on a racing yard I would have been sacked if i'd been caught in stable with horse with door closed. No escape route. Shiny ish has work experience there also. Guessing different people have different thought processes.

Onyxia

Visit site
In the ideal world, i should have a schoolmaster type that will be fine whatever i do, but i have a quirky horse that has learnt my bad habits and previous owners and is used to certain ways of doing things, when something is done differently it throws a strop and has a paddy about it :eek: so, i'm hoping what i have done wrong won't put my mark down. But we shall see :) Thank you for comments again and thanks for watching it :)

Is it possable to borrow another livery or a RS horse for an hour to film some parts?
I have a feeling it would be all too easy for the examiner to see your mare being "girthy" as an indication that she is pset by your handling of her and the walking off a lack of ability rather then an quirk of your mare.

china

Visit site
you are lucky that the person marking as horse knowledge, otherwise they would be reading up the correct way so you would have to do the bhs way.

im just pausing the video and putting down things that stand out to me. I taught equine student the bhs way of doing things and have had to do video evidence like this may time
;-)

-close the door behind you - put the rope over the horses neck - hat and gloves
- i wouldnt go behind the horse (you know shes fine, the examiner doesnt)
- check your throat lash and nose band with fingers
- check your girth and stirrups before mounting.
-i personally wouldnt hold onto the front of the saddle when mounting
- the riding looks great! just watch your lower leg and shoulders ( im sure they wont be that mean to pick up on it!)
you are a very tidy and quiet rider! well done :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
you are lucky that the person marking as horse knowledge, otherwise they would be reading up the correct way so you would have to do the bhs way.

im just pausing the video and putting down things that stand out to me. I taught equine student the bhs way of doing things and have had to do video evidence like this may time
;-)

-close the door behind you - put the rope over the horses neck - hat and gloves
- i wouldnt go behind the horse (you know shes fine, the examiner doesnt)
- check your throat lash and nose band with fingers
- check your girth and stirrups before mounting.
-i personally wouldnt hold onto the front of the saddle when mounting
- the riding looks great! just watch your lower leg and shoulders ( im sure they wont be that mean to pick up on it!)
you are a very tidy and quiet rider! well done :)

Thank you :) I know i'm not supposed to go behind her, as i have previously said thou, she's used to different things and i also know that this may bring my marks down. If i go in front of her she'll bit me, simples. She has been previously owned by a girl who sold her pony to buy a big impressive horse, but didn't think that the horse may need bigger rugs, so every time she put the rugs on she had to yank them forwrds to do them up, now imagine how much that hurt the poor thing when it was fully clipped in winter, so in defence she started biteing hece girl got scared and sold it. Now despite having nicely fitting rugs etc she still remembers the pain and is very touch with her front, means she can and will bite if i annoy her by brushing against her front all the time, so its just easier to go round the back really, but i do know the correct way :) thank you for the comments and for the compliments :D

galaxy

Visit site
Each examining board look for different things, I have assessed riders for their GCSE PE (I'm an instructor)

However I think that not only do you have to show you can do these things handling wise, I think you should show you can do them SAFELY! I'm sorry, but I gasped when you walked behind the horse in such a small area.... TWICE! The 2nd time the horse swished it's tail and lifted a leg a moment after! He is obviously unhappy having a saddle put on, you can tell from his body language, so walking behind him if a VERY dangerous thing to you. I know you said he bites, I handle a horse that bites and creates doing rugs and you simply put a hand on the headcollar as you duck underneath.

I'd be interested in what you assessor says. The prob with this "coursework" exam is the board does not give clear cut pass/fail indicators, so it will prob just be up to your teacher if she passes that.

Sophstar

Visit site
If I was being really picky then I would have said that you tend to get a little tight in the knee causing your lower leg to fall back and losing a little weight behind your seat. This was more evident when trotting without stirrups and then the horse cantering. That's being really picky though:rolleyes:

Gracie21

Visit site
Its absolutely fine :)

When I uses horse riding for my PC GCSE I just showed a video of SJ training on my 14hh skitty arab mare (at the end of the course she stopped at a fence and broke my nose!) over 3'3 fences. Don't stress out over it, it looks superb :)

Rb1

Visit site
Some people have been quite harsh and picky here! It's mainly about showing that you can do the sport up to a certain level I think isn't it? So you have done that really well :) Your horse looks like a brilliant jumper! And the vid made me want to go round aylesford again, such a brilliant schooling venue!

overtherainbow

Visit site
just for future when working without stirrups you need to drop your legs down you grip and draw your legs up which defeats the point. but having looked at another video where the rider got 10/10 (allegedly) yours looks great

PingPongPony

Visit site
just for future when working without stirrups you need to drop your legs down you grip and draw your legs up which defeats the point. but having looked at another video where the rider got 10/10 (allegedly) yours looks great

thanks :) i tend to ride bareback or with saddle and stirrups, haven't ridden without stirrups for years so it was a bit weird but when i asked my teacher if instead of without stirrups i can do bareback she said no as it's considered not safe so i wouldn't get any marks for it :( I have put it onto a disc and am going to take it in to school for the teacher to look at and tell me if anything needs changing before handing it in properly :) Thanks everyone for your comments! Much appriciated :)

PingPongPony

Visit site
Some people have been quite harsh and picky here! It's mainly about showing that you can do the sport up to a certain level I think isn't it? So you have done that really well :) Your horse looks like a brilliant jumper! And the vid made me want to go round aylesford again, such a brilliant schooling venue!

Thank you and yes it's great! I've set my self a target of jumping some of the big jump next time i go, oh and a jump down a hill as i'm scared of them :eek: