Gelded 3 weeks ago and then.....

Sizzlea89

Visit site
So we got one of our 2 year old boys gelded almost 3 weeks ago. He was out with the geldings as always and was doing his usual parade in the field showing off to the mare who is constantly teasing the geldings and kicking, bucking and rearing at the fence. Then all hell broke loose and he was through the fence and covering her. He took a beating after it but he did breed with her. Im now sitting doing as much research as I can about horses being gelded and finding less than helpful pages. My issue is that the mare is not mine and the mares owner is quite aggressive to start with. We have had to get ours gelded to avoid issues with the only mare on the farm and then this happens today. Please note that the mares owner stated that she wasn't coming to check her horse over because mine shouldn't have been in the field with hers. Her horse has damaged the fencing to the extent that it broke. My boy now has taken the beating of his life but that was his own fault. My concern is now. What happens if by some chance she has ended up in foal? I have no idea how the mares cycles work or how long they are for or if that mare was even on a heat cycle. Although I will be removing my boys from the farm on Sunday morning to a private family facility I still have this terrible feeling that they are going to try and shift all of the blame onto me. Can someone offer any help or advice for me?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Stupid to beat any animal, what is that supposed to do...... might as well read him a book on unprotected sex.
The woman should have her mare jabbed, by a vet, if this is what he advises.
Your vet will advise if you ask, and legal advice is free from BHS for gold members.
I suggest you don't keep the horse in the field next to the mare.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
The fault lies with whoever thought it a good idea to put a recently cut gelding out in a field adjacent to a mare that at some point will come into season, there should have been a decent distance and ideally double fence between them to prevent this from happening.
The first thing I would have done, if the mare was mine, following the incident would have been to get the vet to inject the mare to prevent any possible pregnancy then sent the bill to you, that the owner has failed to even come and check the mare suggests she is irresponsible and possibly doesn't care that much either way, the fence is between you, the mares owner and the land owner to sort out, that should be in your contract but goes with my first thought that whoever arranged the unsuitable turnout conditions is mainly responsible.
I think legally you may be liable for any expenses from the mare being in foal but if the owner does not act on the knowledge that she was covered therefore going through with it you should not have to pay any costs involved at a later date, I would move on and put it behind you and hope your youngster recovers in a more suitable yard.

Illusion100

Visit site
Who should have fixed the damaged fencing caused by the mare that separates your horses from her? What type/height of fencing was it, how damaged was it and what temporary repairs? Has this recently gelded horse any of your other geldings got in with mare before, particularly as your horse was recently gelded as he clearly was showing interest previously?

There are so many ifs and buts and questions, it would be difficult to offer advise without a lot of further info!

Sizzlea89

Visit site
Farmer ordered gelding as mare was "gagging for it" apparently so I complied and got it done. The farmer is responsible for all fencing and they stated where turnout was to be. Although he also stated that he didn't want a mare on the yard. I phoned the farmer and explained what happened and got the answer of "oh well these things happen" so I'm now worried sick about what's going to happen tomorrow and if the mares owner even shows up to check her horse is she going to go through me like a ton of bricks.

Illusion100

Visit site
As above, the mare can be jabbed and at this stage, if I were you, I'd call round a few local vets for the going price of what the visit/exam/jab etc would cost and get it in writing. This may be deemed as a cost you should pay.

If you feel mare owner may physically attack you, don't visit your horses alone. Camera phones can be useful as well.

Farmer not taking sides as there is arguably fault on their behalf. Agree with removing your horses asap.

So much has been unsuitable in the farm/livery choices/management and I appreciate your situation. Try not to worry as it solves nothing.

I hope your horse is ok and it's a lesson for the future, on numerous levels.

Keep us posted and keep safe.

Sizzlea89

Visit site
He was a bit hot on his near side hock and a barbed wire scrape on his chest :( silly boy. Him and his brother are in for the night. Vets coming out first thing tomorrow to check him over. Better safe than sorry when my boys are involved.

Circe

Visit site
I would tell the mare owner that you will pay for a vet to come out and inject the mare to terminate any pregnancy that might have happened. Your gelding will still be fertile, and the mares behaviour indicates she is in season.
Its unfortunate that a stallion/ just gelded horse and a mare weren't kept further apart from each other.... asking for trouble really. Until you move on Sunday, you really need to keep them apart from each other. You need to get this sorted out, as you are responsible as you put a just gelded horse out next to a mare without stallion fencing. The fact the mares owner won't check on her horse is irrelevant I'm afraid.
If you put this in breeding section, someone might be able tell you about costs etc.
I dont' mean to sound harsh, and I do hope you are able to sort things out with a minimum of fuss.
Kx