Gelderlander

mazie

New User
Visit site
Does anyone know of any information regarding this breed. <span style="color:brown"> </span>
confused.gif

siennamum

Visit site
Originally Dutch farm /utility aniumals, now prominent in many dutch sport horse lines.
The 'type' is distinctive with a flat croup and very uphill, lean leggy frame.
They have been bred extensively for driving and to my mind can be backwards &amp; very warmblood as a riding horse, though they are scopy and free moving - they can really jump as well.
There are efforts in holland to protect the breed as it's become so diluted.

mazie

New User
Visit site
I am wanting to breed from my mare but am having trouble finding good stallions in the UK, think it will have to be a trip to europe.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I have one!!

They are usually chestnut or bay (although mine is black), are between 15.2 - 16.2 (although mine is 17hh!) and generally have quiet temperaments.

As siennamum said, they have a flat croup and have a high head carriage, and mine has lovely bouncy paces. My boy use to be a driving horse but I now use him as a happy hacker. They were originally bred for farmers to use as a driving/riding horse.

heres some pics of my boy:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/550831505asIZzl

Hope that link works!

teapot

Visit site
Gorgeoussssssssssssssssssssssss - so am biased.

The bay on the left of my sig is a gelderlander.

Can be very nervy/jumpy - we couldn't leave Pos on his own in the yard - would break lead ropes, jump gates etc to get out. He had/has (not riding him anymore) the concentration span of a gnat; would spook at the letter markers etc but gave such a wonderful feeling when he went well. Pos was a medium dressage horse in his younger years, and he moves/moved really well.

Also jumped and loved his hacking.

And ditto the high head carriage - jumping with ears in your mouth was fun
grin.gif

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Agree with teapot - My horse is spooky, finds it difficult to concentrate in the school, and hates being left alone!! On the upside, he is so gentle, kind and generally an angel to be around.

I wouldn't swap him for anything!

mazie

New User
Visit site
My mare is just touching 16.1 dark bay I agree she finds it difficult to be on her own and can jump out of stable/fields but has the heart of a lion is more touchy feely that any of my other horses. As already said I know they are trying to build up the breed again but I am struggling to find any breeders in the UK.

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Must admit - I tried to do a bit of research on the breed when I bought my horse, and theres very little info on the web. Might be worth getting in touch with breeders overseas...

Visit site
I had one, chestnut, VERY flashy and jumped like stink but was too stupid to ride into a fence (spooky), hunted like a dream and ALWAYS turned heads. I'd have another
grin.gif