Gelding colts and the impact on size, shape temperament etc

Bedford Joy

Visit site
I am curious as to peoples opinions on gelding colts at around 10 months as opposed to waiting another year and gelding at 22 months. What differences in size, shape and temperament does gelding have on them at an early age?

PorkChop

Visit site
Any foals I have had, I have gelded the spring after they were born. Most of the breeders I know geld in their first Autumn.

I was told many years ago by a nagsman that if you geld at the "right" time, the foal will reach it's maximum height, so to speak .... and no ..... I didn't find out when that ellusive time was!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
We gelded the colt here at only 5 and a half months because he was showing aggressive tendencies. By 9 months old he had grown huge and ended up with OCD of the stifle which needed an operation. Of course we do not know whether the early gelding was the cause of this, or whether he would have grown so fast any way. He was already very tall for his age. At just under 24 months now, he is 16.1 at the withers and more at the croup. His dam is 16.1 and sire 16.2. String test says he will be 18 hands. Thankfully, he is sound now. He is also well behaved, but only because I have been really tough with him. Give him an inch and he is horrible. I love him to bits though, especially as he is so well behaved for me now and I hated having to get so tough with him.

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
My RI has been breeding horses for 40 years and when I bought a 6mo colt she told me to leave him entire as long as possible because he would 'make a better shape'.

I think if gelded earlier they grow taller, if later, they have a more muscly / chunky build. To do with testosterone and muscle building properties I think.

Not sure about temperament but usually said if they have not covered a mare they are calmer than those who have.

vieshot

Visit site
My RI has been breeding horses for 40 years and when I bought a 6mo colt she told me to leave him entire as long as possible because he would 'make a better shape'.

I think if gelded earlier they grow taller, if later, they have a more muscly / chunky build. To do with testosterone and muscle building properties I think.

This. I was always led to believe gelding early will make more height but less substance.

honetpot

Visit site
Mine are ponies connies, highland, welsh A and mutts, they tend to get gelded at two/three because I buy them in as colts so I wait until the mud dries up in spring. I have never had any problems with any of them but they live out in groups of boys. Occasionally they will try and have a nip when I first get them but a swift slap across the nose usually stops it in its tracks. I had gelded a welsh A which was nearly five, it was was very nice natured but subdued as he had spent most of his life in a stable, it has taken him nearly three years to become a normal pony and is still bullied by younger ponies. I buy for temperament, and try and find a job for the pony, not fit the pony in to the job.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
My horse wasn't gelded until he was almost 4 years old and he is incredibly muscular and powerful with a very impressive neck. I think if the testosterone gets a chance to work through the body then this is quite common as I've seen other late cut horses look similar with earlier cut geldings looking taller and ganglier. On a side note I did not neuter my cats until they were two years old and they are HUGE !! One in particular is really massive with big thick legs and huge shoulders and he's not fat in the slightest - just a big muscular boy. I asked my vet about this and she said by leaving neutering so late it allows the cats to grow to their full size and the earlier you neuter the more kittenish they stay in body shape and personality. Don't know if similar could be true for horses ?!!