Gelding colts and the impact on size, shape temperament etc

Bedford Joy

Visit site
I am curious as to peoples opinions on gelding colts at around 10 months as opposed to waiting another year and gelding at 22 months. What differences in size, shape and temperament does gelding have on them at an early age

Char0901

Visit site
My boy was gelded at around 8/9 months. He's now 10 months and 14.2.
No idea what he'd be like if he was still entire though obviously, but no sign of his growth slowing any time soon!

Charmin

Visit site
Be interested to see the answers to this as my colt will be gelded by breeder at 7/8 months before coming to me this year!

Foxfolly

Visit site
We run on the ones that look nice for a bit longer we currently have 2 that will be 2 this year that are still entire we will be bringing them in soon to decide if they will be gelded or stay entire for the summer to be reviewed again in the autumn. We have a yearling who will definitely be gelded this year as he isn't stallion material and has a bit of attitude!
last year we gelded 3x 2yo's and a 3yo. All were easy going and happy living in a male herd so were happy to run on a bit older to let them mature. I prefer letting then mature as entires if possible but from the point of view that we might keep one as a stallion. The only issue we had last year was one of the 2 yo's had an inguinal hernia (Guts dropped down out of the gelding wound) when gelded so ended up with open abdominal surgery which was a bit of a shock but that was just bad luck and would have happened whenever he was gelded so age made no difference.